Menu

All about Spelling

3rugrats

IMO, I don't think it's important to start with level 1 if you have a strong reader and have used other programs.  I don't have the book in front of me, but if I remember correctly it went through the basics.  CVC words, sh, tch, ch endings, etc. 

I guess your second question is a matter of opinion.  I didn't start level 1 until after my children started reading. 

I started level 1 with the older 2 when they were classified as first graders.  We take it slow too. 

I hope this helps.

I would say that, in level 1, they at least need to know all the phonograms.  They need to know that O has four different sounds, and what the four are.  They need to be able to write the phonograms when you say the associated sounds.

I start spelling in Grade 2 (age 7 or 8) with fluent readers.  If my children weren't reading, I don't know what age I would start spelling.  I don't see how you can start spelling with a non-reader, unless it's a program specifically designed to do reading *through* spelling, I know there are a couple of those.

With mine, in Grade 2 they are VERY fluent reading.  We still do level 1 because they need the phonograms.  We just do level 1 pretty quickly.

• Like 1

thank you for your responses! that does help. I have a 9yo whose reading at about a 4th grade level and has almost completed Sequential Spelling 1 this year. She has done pretty well with it, but she thinks it's too hard. Her 8yo brother is doing AAR2 right now and I thought of getting AAS as well for him b/c I've never done a spelling program with him, and I thought she might like to try it next year too, but I wasn't sure about the level. I talked to a rep at all about learning press who told me everyone should start at level 1, but looking online what it covers looks so easy. I am pretty sure both my kids could spell all those words at this point. My last child is just now learning to read CVC words so I'm wondering when to begin spelling with him. 

I already have the AAS 2 cards and the level looks better suited than 1 for my 2 oldest readers. If I do go with level 2 and skip 1 do I still need to get the level one cards? 

one last question-- do you think this program is worth the money? I've heard so much good stuff about AAR and I broke down and got it for my slow to catch on 2nd child, but do you think AAS is really much better than the other cheaper ones like Sequential Spelling? 

Is it worth the money?  Well, so far I'm only on level 2.  I really like it so far.  It's what I want.  Learning how to spell phonetically.  I even use some of these rules to teach phonics along the way.  :) 

If your youngest is starting to read cvc words than there's no harm in getting level 1 now just to see. 

I actually started Sequential Spelling as well.  Haven't gotten very far into it.  I just love them both!   I'm not very strict when it comes to spelling. 

AAS is absolutely worth the money for my DD7, who is a struggling speller. It would have been unnecessary for my older three girls who were all natural spellers.

I'm afraid that I would recommend starting with Level one also. Your older kids/fluent readers will zoom through level one (and possibly level two), but unless they already know the phonograms (all the sounds made by a letter or combo of letters) and all the rules taught in each level, they will have gaps. Since you have a younger child who will be able to use it, it won't seem wasteful to buzz quickly through levels!

Honestly, I wish I had learned all these spelling rules as a child. I was/am a natural speller, but I really enjoy understanding the rules behind proper spelling. But I'm geeky like that!

• Like 1

I don't know what Sequential Spelling is like, but dd breezed through Spelling Workout without understanding a thing. She's a strong reader, but a terrible speller. AAS has been extremely helpful for her. The only thing is, we can't ever take a significant break from it, or she loses almost everything she's learned. Lots of people on the forum do not start spelling with a child until they have finished a phonics program.

So, you need to know that even if you skip level one, the tiles are used in upper levels and some of the cards (e.g., the key cards) get reviewed in later levels. You will at a minimum need the starter tile kit.  You should be able to survive without the cards. I would not skip Level 2 though, or if you do, buy the student packet (cards and tiles) because you need those tiles (syllable labels) in all the other levels, and at least some of the cards. 

ETA: All about Spelling 1 is very simple, and can be used for someone who is in the process of learning to read. It reinforces the sounds the letters make.  Just remember to not spend more than 10 minutes a day on spelling. More than that and it tends to burn kids out. So don't worry about finishing a whole level a year, or a whole lesson a day.  Just keep doing 5-10 minutes a day (we do four days a week).  The speed at which they finish a level is entirely dependent on the kid.  You may have one kid who goes through two levels in a year and another that takes well more than a year for one level.  

ETA2: My understanding is that the All About Press folks want everyone to start in level one, and whip through it if it is easy. I haven't looked at their website lately to confirm this.  I believe this has to do with gaps in the phonograms that a prior poster mentioned.

Edited by cintinative

So, you need to know that even if you skip level one, the tiles are used in upper levels and some of the cards (e.g., the key cards) get reviewed in later levels. You will at a minimum need the starter tile kit.  You should be able to survive without the cards. I would not skip Level 2 though, or if you do, buy the student packet (cards and tiles) because you need those tiles (syllable labels) in all the other levels, and at least some of the cards. 

ETA: All about Spelling 1 is very simple, and can be used for someone who is in the process of learning to read. It reinforces the sounds the letters make.  Just remember to not spend more than 10 minutes a day on spelling. More than that and it tends to burn kids out. So don't worry about finishing a whole level a year, or a whole lesson a day.  Just keep doing 5-10 minutes a day (we do four days a week).  The speed at which they finish a level is entirely dependent on the kid.  You may have one kid who goes through two levels in a year and another that takes well more than a year for one level.  

ETA2: My understanding is that the All About Press folks want everyone to start in level one, and whip through it if it is easy. I haven't looked at their website lately to confirm this.  I believe this has to do with gaps in the phonograms that a prior poster mentioned.

thank you so much for all the great info!!

I would start with level 1 honestly. You can go through it quickly. But it's more about learning the rules of spelling, not those specific words. DD could spell everything through at least the first 3/4 of the the book when we started, but she still learned a lot from the rules. *I* learned a lot from the rules! 

We completed through most of level 2 then DD went to PS for 3rd. So next year for 4th we are picking up where we left off in level 2 and will go from there. 

Some kids can start in level 2. The thing to look for with AAS is not which words they can read (it's not based on reading level) or which words they have memorized how to spell, but what rules and concepts have they mastered? For example, do they know why to use C or K for the /k/ sound in words like cat vs. kept--not just whether they can spell easy words. Other rules covered include when to use K or CK at the end of words, when to double F, L, and S, and knowing when to use S and ES to make words plural. It also teaches short vowel compound words (windmill, bobcat etc...) Also, if you have a student who often leaves letters out of words or switches the order of the letters, then the segmenting exercises in level 1 are important. Here's an article with more info on whether to start in 1 or 2. Level 2 starts with a very quick review of the level 1 concepts, but assumes the student knows them. The student should know the multiple sounds for the alphabet, plus the multiple sounds for th, sh, ch, ck, nk, and ng. (CH has 3 sounds, S has 2, A has 3, etc...). If you have a student who is otherwise ready for Level 2 but may not know some of the multiple sounds, you can either get the level 1 student packet to get those cards, or make up some of your own cards from the free phonogram sounds app

HTH some!

Some kids can start in level 2. The thing to look for with AAS is not which words they can read (it's not based on reading level) or which words they have memorized how to spell, but what rules and concepts have they mastered? For example, do they know why to use C or K for the /k/ sound in words like cat vs. kept--not just whether they can spell easy words. Other rules covered include when to use K or CK at the end of words, when to double F, L, and S, and knowing when to use S and ES to make words plural. It also teaches short vowel compound words (windmill, bobcat etc...) Also, if you have a student who often leaves letters out of words or switches the order of the letters, then the segmenting exercises in level 1 are important. Here's an article with more info on whether to start in 1 or 2. Level 2 starts with a very quick review of the level 1 concepts, but assumes the student knows them. The student should know the multiple sounds for the alphabet, plus the multiple sounds for th, sh, ch, ck, nk, and ng. (CH has 3 sounds, S has 2, A has 3, etc...). If you have a student who is otherwise ready for Level 2 but may not know some of the multiple sounds, you can either get the level 1 student packet to get those cards, or make up some of your own cards from the free phonogram sounds app

HTH some!

that helps a lot Merry! thank you so much!

• Like 1

another kind of question--what do I need at the minimum to use levels 1 and 2? If I have the cards for both, can I get by with just those and the TM, or do I need the syllable labels and other extras that come with the level 2 student packet? It doesn't seem like they sell the syllable tags separately. 

If you have the cards and the TM, you really don't need anything else. My dd isn't interested in the tiles. I do all examples on the whiteboard. Dd does all her spelling on the whiteboard, too. Somehow that is more acceptable to her than writing on paper, which she is often resistant to, depending on her mood.

If you have the cards and the TM, you really don't need anything else. My dd isn't interested in the tiles. I do all examples on the whiteboard. Dd does all her spelling on the whiteboard, too. Somehow that is more acceptable to her than writing on paper, which she is often resistant to, depending on her mood.

This exactly. I own the tiles but we don't use them.

another kind of question--what do I need at the minimum to use levels 1 and 2? If I have the cards for both, can I get by with just those and the TM, or do I need the syllable labels and other extras that come with the level 2 student packet? It doesn't seem like they sell the syllable tags separately. 

You can get them separately if you call the office. I did think they were helpful for my kids.

My DD was reading at a high school level in 4th grade but was stuck with spelling because she had mostly learned to read by memorizing the words (public school). She had missed *a lot* of phonics rules that you need for correct spelling. We started with AAS1 and she thought it was babyish bit we did it anyway and she did in fact learn a few things, mostly about how to go syllable by syllable. She flew through levels 1-5 at about a lesson every day or 2 and then slowed down to a lesson/week when she got to her appropriate level. I would definitely vote for starting at level 1! ☺

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

At a minimum you really only need the TM. DS learned to read through AAR but we dropped the tiles before we finished and he didn't want to use them with AAS. We use AAS as handwriting practice and he just writes everything down instead of using tiles. We did AAS 1 and 2 with the cards but I just bought the TM for 3. I just keep a note on my phone of any words he misses to keep working on. It's great not having to keep track of the extra parts.