Menu

Tips for buying a kayak

Happy

I have a milestone birthday coming up next month. I've wanted kayaks for me and my husband for a while. I think it's time to find a couple as a Happy-birthday-to-me thing.

What do I look for or avoid? 

We will be kayaking on local lakes for the most part. I want something lightweight and stable. We have our old minivan to transport them--I'm guessing I'll need a car top carrier.  We might pack a picnic or carry binoculars or fishing gear on our adventures.

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestion you have--

• Like 1

I have been doing similar research for a purchase. What I've learned so far is that if you're going to be getting on lakes or slow moving streams, you need something that's going to have some glide to it, or you will be actively paddling 100% of the time.

I've learned from rentals that I need back support. Perhaps you can add this as you like aftermarket, but why not get it up front if possible.

Select your paddle with as much care as you select your craft. Purchase a kayak with a paddle rest, some have a bungee feature to secure your paddle.

I am favoring Perception brands so far. I'm personally in the market for a sit-in rather than a sit-atop, you may have a different preference.

If you are not already a member of REI, if there's a location near to you, you may want to join for access to their classes.

ETA One reason I have not already purchased is because I am also saving funds to buy a trailer. You can car top but I do not want to blow a rotator cuff wrastling a kayak from the roof of my vehicle.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Likely you would want a 10 foot kayak. The Aruba ones are very popular around here for casual use. I like my Old Town one but it is more pricey new (I got mine used at a great price). Back rest is key.

You can always look on Craig's list for used ones as well.

• Like 1

I rented several kayaks before I bought.  You need a good backrest, but you can add one later if what it has isn't enough.  We ended up with 2 tandem kayaks (had little kids) from the same company, but one I hated, one I loved.  The hip area in one was too tight for me.  Also,depending on the water you are in, you might want a rudder.  Again, we had one with a rudder, one without...we eventually paid to get a rudder put on the second one.  We were in tidal water though and it helped with tides/wind.  

Obviously the more you can sit in one and enjoy it the better.  We did kayak tours in our area for years before buying our own.  And that helped me narrow down brands I liked/disliked.  My hips were the biggest thing.   And the backrest I liked was adjustable in multiple ways.  We ended up buying another one for the second kayak as it was just a much better backrest.  

I was sad to sell my kayaks when we moved.  If you try to buy used ask about how they cared for the kayak.  Was it kept indoors?  Did they put protective coating on it yearly?  Look at the bottom...expect scrapes but not huge gouges.  If it has a rudder make sure it works well.  And honestly, put it in the water.  My first kayak I drove 2 hours to meet a woman at a lake so I could test the kayak before buying it.  I bought my 2nd kayak new.  I bought my third kayak used from a touring company.  They usually sell their kayaks at the end of the season for a good deal...so look for stores in your area and ask!  There are kayak forums that you might be able to connect with locals who want to sell gear as well.  

but the best advice I can give is get in the kayak on the water before buying.  Which may mean some kayak tours until you find the perfect fit. 

• Like 2

Whatever you do, don't get an inflatable one. That was horrible, even on the river. 

Things like paddle holders and fishing gear holders can all be bought separately and added on later, so don't pass up on something you otherwise like if it doesn't have the attachments you like.  

• Like 1

My biggest suggestion is if there is anywhere with in reason that does demo days do that!  

Longer skinnier kayaks go faster.  Some of the fishing kayaks have really nice seats and are really stable.

Good paddle do make a difference.  I would not have guessed that it made that much difference until we went to a demo day when we bought our last kayaks.  They gave us a middle of the road paddle and a high end paddle and you could tell the difference by a lot.

• Like 1

Thank you all! You've given me much to think on and consider.

I live close enough to both an REI and a Cabala's to get good help there. Plus I've just found a lake not too far away rents kayaks...We will be exploring our options.

• Like 1

Mine (was a gift) and has cup holders. This is important in the very early morning when I am loading it up with coffee to slip out and check the heron's nest before anyone else is awake. :) And also a little compartment to store food / jacket / etc. in - good for longer trips.

I often use mine for life-guarding while kids are swimming and / or for bird-watching, so comfort for long sitting (and wasting away my life's days) is critical for me, but I don't need it to go in the ocean or move super fast.

(Editing to add: Another huge plus for the way I use mine is that I can carry it by myself; I love to wake up early and go out alone, so that is important to me.)

$ .02

And happy birthday. :)

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 1

I'm envious because I've been wanting my own kayak for years. Hope you find a nice one!  I want a sea kayak, or similar.  I've done some whitewater kayaking, and you definitely don't want one of those for a lake. You paddle forward and it turns suddenly 90 degrees on you. They are made to turn. 

• Like 1

Mine (was a gift) and has cup holders. This is important in the very early morning when I am loading it up with coffee to slip out and check the heron's nest before anyone else is awake. :) And also a little compartment to store food / jacket / etc. in - good for longer trips.

I often use mine for life-guarding while kids are swimming and / or for bird-watching, so comfort for long sitting (and wasting away my life's days) is critical for me, but I don't need it to go in the ocean or move super fast.

(Editing to add: Another huge plus for the way I use mine is that I can carry it by myself; I love to wake up early and go out alone, so that is important to me.)

$ .02

And happy birthday. :)

Going out to check the heron's nest just sounds wonderful! Deep sigh.

I love bird watching so your words are inspiring.

• Like 1

I'm envious because I've been wanting my own kayak for years. Hope you find a nice one!  I want a sea kayak, or similar.  I've done some whitewater kayaking, and you definitely don't want one of those for a lake. You paddle forward and it turns suddenly 90 degrees on you. They are made to turn. 

:)  Good warning! I want smooth and slow most days.

We love our inflatable kayaks and have had them about 8 years. They're not the cheapies that you buy at k-mart, but are the thick pvc types rafting companies use (duckies). https://paddling.com/reviews/product/tributary-tomcat-solo-kayak/ We've been down class iii and iv rivers in them, but usually just paddle around lakes in the summer. They're easy to transport and fun for the kids.

Our family had fiberglass sea kayaks growing up and those were great too but we had a beach and never needed to transport those. In whitewater kayaking clinics, I've also enjoyed the zippy little whitewater kayaks. Super fun to zoom around and easy to transport. Easy to tip, but easy to roll back too...

• Like 1

Try them out.  Stores like LL Bean and REI will sometimes have days when you can do this.  The little ones can be harder to use than the longer ones.  The double ones can be a bad idea depending upon the personalities involved.  Kayak A can have a seat that fits your butt perfectly while Kayak B is not quite right.  Find a store, figure out when they're doing their test drives, and block out some time to try several kayaks and ask lots of questions.

• Like 1