Menu

Dimensions of Luggage for Flying

cjzimmer1

So I'm trying to acquire luggage for DS's trip this summer but I'm wondering how strict the baggage restrictions really are.  He will be flying Delta domestically (and the international portion only lists weight requirements not size). 

Delta says 62 linear inches for checked baggage.  The set he likes best has a listed size of 62.5.  Is the airline really gonna quibble over .5 inches of linear space?  What if he doesn't pack it to the gills so its squishable to 62 inches?  How strict are they on these things?

Again with the carry-on size.  I'm assuming they have to be more strict with this due to the overhead bins being only a certain size.  Delta says 45 linear inches.

We've found 2 different sets he liked at Costco.  One lists the carry-on as 47.1 and the other set is 46.5.  If he leaves them so they squish a little are these "close enough" or are those numbers absolute as far as the airlines go?

Any advice or experience is appreciated.

• Like 1

Some airline staff are more picky and may ask your son to fit his luggage into one of those luggage dimensions metal frame checker (not sure what those are called but link has photos showing what I mean https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-lists-and-travel-tips/10060-tom-bihn-bags-united-airlines-carry.html)and make him pay more to check in the carry on luggage and pay more for oversized check in luggage. I have only flown Delta for international flights and they are less picky if the flight isn't full.

• Like 1

Arcadia has hit on the key. It doesn't really matter what the "airline" says it is all at the whim of the airline employee standing I front of your ds. Worst case, though, the will charge a fee. I think the extra half-inch is unlikely to be a big deal for checked baggage as long as the bag is under the weight limit - this they do pay attention to. For carry-on I recommend being conservative about size. Flights are often full and this makes them more rigorous about checking. Even if his bag is within the limit he may have to gate-check the bag (free). If that happens he needs to pay attention to whether he will have to wait in the jetway when he deplanes to get his bag or if they will put it on the luggage carousel.

• Like 2

We are allowed 2 Carry On bags. One needs to go under the seat in front of you and the other one into the overhead bin.  I always put my laptop under the seat in front of me and anything critical that is being carried on should be in that bag (eg: Eyeglasses, Medicines, papers).    They have a gizmo you need to place the carry on bags into, to show them it meets the size requirements. A flexible bag that is not stuffed to the gills will have some room to squish and be pushed into that gizmo.  A hard sided bag *must* be able to fit within the gizmo and there's no flexibility.   If it is for checked luggage, as I learned last year, when the TSA in Orlando broke the lock on my (fortunately old hard sided bag) to inspect the contents, there are now bags that have TSA locks. The TSA has the keys to those (probably all the thieves do too), so they don't need to break into your bag.  When we arrived at the Baggage Claim in Cali, Colombia, there was TSA Tape wrapped around it,  holding my bag closed.  Everything we know of that we purchased was inside the bag, so they did not steal anything.  I'm glad it was old luggage.  The solution for that now is to NOT LOCK the luggage that does not have TSA locks and wrap 2 luggage straps around the bag to hold it shut.  If dishonest people want to get into your luggage, I guarantee you they will. The bags with a Zipper are the most incredibly easy to break into and you would never know the Zipper had been opened and then closed.  I forget what they use to do that. A key or a business card or something. When we were waiting for the Avianca Ticket Counter in Orlando to open, so we could check that piece of luggage and check in, a man who worked in the airport who was on break showed us a video on his phone about how they can break into luggage that has a Zipper. It was so fast...  

ETA: If at the Gate, they gave me a problem about the 2nd carry on bag, I would be prepared to let them Gate Check the bag that I normally put into the overhead bin. Here in Colombia, I've been lucky, but I'm not sure how that would work in the USA...

Edited by Lanny

I bought a backpack to carry-on and stow under the seat.  It was about 2" too big according to the numbers, but if I packed it just right, and then put it diagonally into the metal frame checker thing, it fit just fine.  And then there were like 4 extra inches under the seat, so the bag dimensions stated on the website were on the small side.

Edited by WendyAndMilo

There are quibblers. Squishable is good, but you really don't want a bag you have to wrestle into the overhead.

Don't even count on this.  Every flight we took last time we didn't get to store any luggage in the overhead.  So many people try to do only carry on that they push the limits and there is no room except under your seat.  So the dimensions really are all about that.  You don't want to take the tiny bit of leg room you get away because of an oversized bag.

Unless you want to risk the anxiety of travel and perhaps a hefty baggage charge stick to the rules. Measurement should include wheels, measure yourself don't trust the tag. I would also suggest traveling light. If he's checking a bag then just take a daypack for a carry on. Be sure he has a toothbrush and an extra shirt in case his suitcase arrives later than he does. This happens when there isn't enough time for the bag to change planes. What airlines is he traveling overseas? The organization should have info for luggage requirements for their reservations.