Menu

Prealgebra: Math U See Algebra, TT algebra or???

ByGrace3

I am trying to find a prealgebra for dd for next year. She has completed MM 1- 6 (finishing next week). I would love something self grading like TT, but I don't want to make a major mistake in math with her. I own TT algebra, and my sister has MUS algebra .... Would it be a mistake to use one of those? MM prealgebra is not too expensive...and I had considered TC or Chalkdust prealgebra if we went that route for algebra. I have also considered Dolciani and Foresters for algebra.

would you make a mistake?  Depends.  Can you stick with a program once you get started.  MUS and TT have different scope and sequences.  If you switch, you might find gaps that need filling or you might find too much review.  I would do pre-algebra with whatever program you want to use for algebra.  Is it a problem if you don't?  No.  We used Horizons pre-algebra then went on to TT Algebra 1, Geometry and, Algebra 2.  We switched to MUS for Pre-Calculus and Calculus. 

• Like 1

We did MM 1-6 and moved on to Jacobs Algebra through Veritas online class and it has been great. Dd is doing Geometry next year through WHA while reviewing Algebra with Aops and Foresters. I would say she has a strong grasp of Algebra already. We are very happy with Jacobs.

Thanks everyone for the input. I was wondering if anyone could answer this here without me starting a new thread. I know Saxon is not favorite around here, and the younger levels were not a good fit for us...but as I am considering CC for next year, all of a sudden I am wondering if Saxon would be the way to go? SWB obviously recommends it... Enough to use it in TWTMA....so why would I not want to use it?

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but have you looked at VideoText?  We are using it for pre-algebra.  My son loves the way it teaches.  It's the best math we've used so far.  I wish I would have had it for our older children.

Pam

We're loving Saxon Math here! ;)  We're using it with Saxon Teacher cd's *and* Art Reed dvd's.  May seem like overkill to some, but for our kids (who needed more of an audio/visual way to learn math), it's been a great fit.  They do the lesson with Saxon Teacher, following along in their book, watch the corresponding Art Reed lesson, then begin their math lesson problems.   I always check it over each day and we discuss along the way if they have any trouble.  Saxon Teacher also has all the problems in the book worked out on the cd with explanations, which is a big help if they get stuck.  The kids love the way Art Reed teaches the lesson and it really helps to cement it in their minds before doing their assignment.  Anyway, it's been a great combo here that's finally helping our kids to be successful with math! :D

Editing to add:  We never liked the early levels of Saxon Math here either....but the levels from 5/4 on up have worked out great.

Edited by momtofive
  • Like 1

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but have you looked at VideoText? We are using it for pre-algebra. My son loves the way it teaches. It's the best math we've used so far. I wish I would have had it for our older children.

Pam

I had considered VT, but I was under the impression the prealgebra was more a quick review before jumping onto algebra...is that not accurate? Is the prealgebra a full class?

I have to agree with Momtofive about the Saxon dvds. Oldest dd needed both Art Reed and Saxon Teacher dvds. Dd had very good Saxon test sores.  But,  I will say her SAT math scores were not what she wanted and she had to do considerable prep work for the next time she took the SAT.  It was a speed thing.  She could do the problems on the SAT, she just couldn't do them in less than a minute.  Saxon lessons took her forever.  2 hours a day on math was not uncommon for her.  She is now in college and has a 4.0 in all her subjects including math.  Saxon did very well by her.  It fit her learning style.

Youngest did not respond well to Saxon.  She wanted a mastery style.  Topics constantly jumping around was very frustrating for her.  One reason we homeschool, to tailor programs to learning styles (when possible). 

I had considered VT, but I was under the impression the prealgebra was more a quick review before jumping onto algebra...is that not accurate? Is the prealgebra a full class?

I guess their pre-algebra is not a full one year class unless you drag it out that long.  Their sequence of teaching is different, so they don't call it pre-algebra, algebra 1, and algebra 2.  But you could continue with it for more years and cover all three.

You said you have TT and MUS for algebra.  Are you planning on using one of them?  You could do VT for a year and see how far you get.  Then move into MUS?  VT recommends MUS or Right Start before using their program, so MUS should follow better.  TT isn't conceptual, is it?  I was thinking it was spiral.

Sorry for the hodge-podged thoughts...in a hurry.

Pam