Menu

Turning off gas to stove question

school17777

I have to replace the igniter in my oven. I have the part and it seems pretty easy, but I have to turn the gas and electricity off before I change it. My question is, can I just turn off the gas to the whole house rather than pulling out the oven to turn it off at the oven? Will this cause any problems to the the heater/water heater that also use gas?

• Like 1

I'll turn off the gas at the mains. The water heater won't work until you turn the gas back on at the mains but it is a safer option.

That's what I was thinking. It would be so much easier than pulling the stove out. If I wasn't afraid of blowing anything up, I'd do it right now, but I'm here by myself. I will have to wait until tonight when someone else is home. Unless, I can talk a neighbor into coming over to watch .....

Except, I have laundry going right now. Didn't think that through! I'll just wait until dh gets home tonight.

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1

You could turn it off to the whole house, but it seems there might then be enough residual gas in the pipes to cause a problem so you might need a plan to vent it before beginning work. If you turn off the gas at the stove there isn't much pipe for residual gas to escape from.

That is my entirely unexpert opinion fwiw.

• Like 1

You could turn it off to the whole house, but it seems there might then be enough residual gas in the pipes to cause a problem so you might need a plan to vent it before beginning work. If you turn off the gas at the stove there isn't much pipe for residual gas to escape from.

I was going to run the burners until the gas stopped coming out, just like you would run a faucet when you turn the water off. This is my first time doing something with gas, so I am a little nervous!

• Like 2

I unexpertly second that thought.

• Like 2

I have to replace the igniter in my oven. I have the part and it seems pretty easy, but I have to turn the gas and electricity off before I change it. My question is, can I just turn off the gas to the whole house rather than pulling out the oven to turn it off at the oven? Will this cause any problems to the the heater/water heater that also use gas?

DH works for the gas company.  If you like, send me a pm and I'll ask him for you. I might be wrong, but I think you do need to disconnect from oven unit.  I might be wrong, but dh knows.

• Like 2

Well, so far dh has not had time to move the oven for me. He had a conference call last night with a client overseas that lasted until I was fast asleep. He's not home from work yet tonight, and neither of us have energy to mess with it tonight. Tomorrow, unless the weather changes plans, dh will be home late and said to not count on it happening. Same with Friday.

I usually plan my meals in the Instant Pot, but wouldn't you know, I planned quiche for tonight totally forgetting that I don't have an oven. So, everyone has to scrounge for their own dinner (I am too wiped out to make anything), and we will get pizza tomorrow night because that's the best deal night. I guess we will have mac & cheese in the Instant Pot on Friday unless I can think of something healthy to make and I have the energy to do so.

So, looks like it won't get fixed until Sat. It should only take a few minutes, minus moving the oven out and back.

I mentioned this thread to my wife. We have a Gas stove connected to a Propane tank  located outside the house, near the kitchen. We live in a Tropical Valley and our home is wide open, with oceans of fresh air.  If we were attempting that repair, we would just shut off the valve on the Propane tank. If we had to move the stove and had access to the valve behind it, we would shut that off too.

However....   Your situation is far more critical.  We would shut off all valves. We would open all windows. We might shut off the electricity to the house at the Breaker box in the garage. If we were in your shoes, we might pay the Gas company to do this.  It will hopefully, be a simple and quick repair and you can turn everything back on and use the Stove as when it was new.

• Like 1

I mentioned this thread to my wife. We have a Gas stove connected to a Propane tank located outside the house, near the kitchen. We live in a Tropical Valley and our home is wide open, with oceans of fresh air. If we were attempting that repair, we would just shut off the valve on the Propane tank. If we had to move the stove and had access to the valve behind it, we would shut that off too.

However.... Your situation is far more critical. We would shut off all valves. We would open all windows. We might shut off the electricity to the house at the Breaker box in the garage. If we were in your shoes, we might pay the Gas company to do this. It will hopefully, be a simple and quick repair and you can turn everything back on and use the Stove as when it was new.

I don't think the igniter involves the gas - it's across from it, so this on the electricity side of things, not the gas side of things. Turning off the gas is just a pre-caution. It's rated as a beginners diy project.

• Like 1

I don't think the igniter involves the gas - it's across from it, so this on the electricity side of things, not the gas side of things. Turning off the gas is just a pre-caution. It's rated as a beginners diy project.

Just a precaution? If there would be an electrical spark or something, and there is gas, that would not have a happy outcome.  Watch YouTube videos and read How Tos and Tutorials and hopefully this will be a quick and successful project and your stove will be like new again.  

OT: We had a gas escape, 2 or 3 months ago. Somehow, one of the burners on the top of the stove was turned on, but there was no flame, so the gas was escaping. We are not sure who did that or how it happened. I went in there in the early morning and fortunately, I did not turn on the light or use the toaster... Our house has huge amounts of fresh air. If it was a closed in house, like the houses in the USA, the outcome might have been extremely bad, for me and for the house.