Menu

WWYD struggling in algebra

Ds is in 8th grade and using TT Algebra. He's done pretty well (90%+) up until the last about 10 lessons. He's on lesson 74, but has now been consistently missing about half the problems. I've been sitting with him, watching the lecture part, having him take notes, going through the practice problems with him. He just seems stuck at this point. I do plan to have him do Algebra 1 again in 9th grade, but don't know what to do the rest of this year? And, should he stick with TT next year? Overall, it's been working pretty well for him up until this point.

Edited by Bethany Grace

Can you find some other resources on the same topics? Khan academy, or YouTube videos that explain the same thing a different way?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, we do use Khan Academy pretty frequently. I'm just not sure what he's not getting. He will seem to understand doing the practice problems, and doing them correctly. But then misses a lot in the rest of the assignment.

The Key to Algebra books really bring it down to the very basics. And, like TT, they're pretty pared down. Maybe that could be another resource?

As for TT... I think it depends on if this is just a hiccup or if the whole program gave him a weak foundation. I'm not much of a TT fan, but if you feel like overall it's been working, you may have to go with your gut. Or see how he does on an algebra test from another book. And end of the year type test.

• Like 1

The Key to Algebra books really bring it down to the very basics. And, like TT, they're pretty pared down. Maybe that could be another resource?

As for TT... I think it depends on if this is just a hiccup or if the whole program gave him a weak foundation. I'm not much of a TT fan, but if you feel like overall it's been working, you may have to go with your gut. Or see how he does on an algebra test from another book. And end of the year type test.

He's done Horizons math primarily through 6th grade. We've been using TT with a public charter just for 7th/8th. We aren't staying with the charter next year, so we can choose whatever we want for math....which is why I'm wondering if we should stay with TT or something else.

I'll look at the Keys to Algebra book.....thanks!

ETA: I'm also not a huge TT fan, but if it works for him, I'm ok with it. I don't want to confuse him by switching to something else next year, but definitely want him to have a solid understanding of Algebra 1 before moving on to higher levels of math. (He hates math, and I highly doubt he'll be in a math related career.)

Edited by Bethany Grace

I've gone through the same thing and honestly would not have him repeat the same program again next year. I would pick a different program. It won't confuse him- it will give him a better understanding because something isn't clicking if he's stuck. If you search and/or post on the high school boards you might get other suggestions. Many of us have done a repeat of Algebra 1.

"Key to..." series as mentioned above is good, but you might need to do a placement test or two to see where and why he is getting stuck, because he might need remediation somewhere else.

What is tripping him up? It might help to know what is causing him trouble, so that people might be able to point out specific resources.

He's having trouble with simplifying or adding/subtracting equations that are fractions and have exponents. He was doing fine before the exponents were added in. He can work with exponents on their own in simple equations, but I think he just gets overwhelmed when there are a lot more steps required in the equation.

Many also have multiple choice answers, and when I'm sitting with him notice he will try to narrow down the possible choices, then make a guess at the answer. We've talked about how that's a good test-taking strategy if you're stuck. But, on regular school work, he needs to be able to solve the problems, not just guess.

Edited by Bethany Grace

Struggling with Algebra is completely normal. It's often the first time kids will struggle with anything and can be a shock. He's been doing well so far...it's fine. It's perfectly ok to have a few sections where you get 50% or less on your first try, and even your second. What I would do is stop right there and spend some time reviewing similar problems with him on a white board. It helps to see where he may be going wrong to go step by step with him. You do one step on your board, he does it on his, then you flash the boards at each other and see if they match. You can find outside sources on AOPS, Khan Academy, or lots of places if you google, or make up your own. Exponent rules can be tricky and they just take some time and practice to solidify. You could try giving him a cheat sheet with the rules written on them or suggest that he replace what he's doing with easy numbers to check himself. So if he's got (x^b)^c and he can't remember whether to add or multiply, replace x with 2, b with 1, and c with 3, and see which way gives the correct answer.  

I tell my kids that if they are getting every question right, or even most questions right, then they aren't really working their brains hard enough. We should be excited for the times when we hit a hard spot because we know that's when our brains are growing and making new connections. Everything else is ho hum. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

Are you using the workbook? Some kids get impulsive using a computer format. Have him do the workbook exercises and check them before he submits his answers.

This is a good idea. He's working from the computer in a notebook. He copies the problems and solves them. But, we will try watching the lecture, then using the workbook for the exercises before entering them.

• Like 2

He's having trouble with simplifying or adding/subtracting equations that are fractions and have exponents. He was doing fine before the exponents were added in. He can work with exponents on their own in simple equations, but I think he just gets overwhelmed when there are a lot more steps required in the equation.

Many also have multiple choice answers, and when I'm sitting with him notice he will try to narrow down the possible choices, then make a guess at the answer. We've talked about how that's a good test-taking strategy if you're stuck. But, on regular school work, he needs to be able to solve the problems, not just guess.

If he understands the underlying concepts, but is just having trouble putting them all together, I would try going back to where the lessons were easy and then moving forward again. The extra repetition may help him solidify all the steps in the process. Writing out the problems on a whiteboard can also be helpful and make all the steps less overwhelming.

ETA : I think it's a great idea to repeat algebra 1. I had both of my kids do that and it really paid off.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 2

This is a common area of struggle and is usually something that just needs more practice until it really becomes intuitive. Camp out there for a bit and continue practicing until it seems more intuitive. 

Also, get rid of the multiple-choice display by having him copy down the problems and then leave the computer, work until he gets an answer, then compare his answer to the multiple-choice. Or can you turn it off? In the learning software we use at the university we as instructors can toggle whether problems are multiple-choice or not, and we have it turned off for exactly that reason. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses. We're going to keep moving very slowly on TT for this year, reviewing the lessons until he understands. For next year, I'm considering Mr D's Algebra 1, and our co-op has a math lab/tutor available to provide extra help as well.