Menu

Savannah, GA

lauraw4321

It's been almost 10 years since I have been... Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room is a traditional Savannah thing: http://mrswilkes.com/ (eat family style at tables, line up before 11am to have the shortest wait). It's near the Juliette Gordon Lowe house, which was a little underwhelming IMO. It's nice to walk through the squares and along River Street (which is pretty much a tourist trap, but it gives you a good view of the river and bridge. Watching the river traffic is interesting. And you can get samples of fresh pralines at River Street Sweets) when it's not a million degrees outside. There are a few places to have high tea: http://www.ajc.com/travel/sip-tea-these-five-places-savannah/zeDJxYLHICwtfFwLgeptIN/ I think Gryphon is the highest rated. Elizabeth's on 37th has high-end, traditional dining with a seasonal menu. The Olde Pink House is fine dining, more old school. There are some newer places that have started up after Charleston had such a dining renaissance, but I haven't been to them. 

• Like 1

Simply strolling about Savannah is lovely although I prefer the area closer to Liberty than the riverfront which is a little too touristy and tacky for my tastes. 

I would check out what is going on in the SCAD galleries as well as the Tellfair.

Is your conference at the convention center?  There is a free boat that goes from the historic side of Savannah over to the convention center and Westin Hotel.  (I think that is a Westin...)  The boat ride is a lovely way to get a water perspective.

There are trolley tours and horse drawn carriages if you would like to learn about the history of Savannah.  Walking tours too.

If you are on the coast, by all means eat seafood! Savannah has some well known restaurants but one of my favorites is more of a neighborhood pub:  the Crystal Beer Parlor.  Great beer selection and food beyond basic pub grub.

If you are completely exhausted and want to grab a dinner to eat back in the room, try the Flying Monk Noodle Bar on Broughton Street.  My gluten free friend had choices here. 

And have fun!

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 2

If you have the time, a guided trolly tour is a really nice way of getting a good overall view of neighborhoods, old historic estates, and learning a little about the history of the area.  We only had a weekend there and really enjoyed being able to do that.  Otherwise, the waterfront area is popular.  We also enjoyed eating at The Olde Pink House, a very old, historical landmark/now restaurant-tavern.  It's a very popular and busy and kind of pricy restaurant, but we were able to just have drinks and a snack in the cellar room, which was fun.

• Like 2

If you see a handwritten sign selling boiled peanuts, try some . . . or just get some for me. If it sounds like someone is offering you "bald shrimp," they mean it's boiled.

It's cold and rainy here. Savannah sounds so nice right now.

I'm from AL - I'm very acquainted with boiled peanuts.  Yum!   :lol: