Menu

The Skippers Teachers Lounge 3-31-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Morning, all! The Lounge is now open!

Today is a nautical theme (only because The I-Accidentally-Skipped (forgot)-Yesterday's-Teachers-Lounge doesn't sound quite as appealing!  :cool:

Anyone ever work LONG hours? Here: yesterday, I worked a 17 hour (supposed to be 16 hours) shift for my security guard job.

And I'm headed out in a few minutes to do a 6 hour shift.

Anyone ever go (or have been) sailing? Here: me, no. My husband has, though, and would love to get back to it!  :cool:

Did you know there's a large community of people who permanently live on (sail)boats who go from country to country to where the work is? Here: discovered this when I was stationed in Panama several years back. Was in a theatre production with a family that did exactly that.  :ohmy:

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 3

You're early Scrap!  Morning!

Oh, my gosh.  My 8yo just came downstairs, saw his Adderall sitting out, and asked Alexa what day it was because he thought it was Saturday instead of Friday and so I shouldn't have put out his medicine (Saturday is Adderall vacation day).

Long hours: Only if you count those times kids have been sick one after another and my husband's been out of town so it was all me constantly.

Sailing: Once.  When I was a kid.  I went out with a friend's family.  I got super sunburned in spite of the sunscreen I was covered with and I've never even wanted to go since.

Boat Living People: Yup.  One place we lived in MD was near some docks and some people just always lived on their boats.  A woman my husband worked with was one of them.  Several people would come seasonally in their boats and stay for a while and work and then move on.

• Like 1

I think my record was about 11 hours - as a truck driver, you can't drive more than 11 hours in a day (iirc you can work up to 14 hours, but only drive 11). So, since there's not a whole lot of non-driving work to do unless you have to load your own truck, about 11 hours is probably about my record. I know I drove 10.5 hours straight once. 

I've been sailing a couple of times, but I don't really know anything about sailing. It was more like people telling me what to do. 

I know there are people who live on boats, but I didn't know there was a large community like you describe. 

• Like 2

Good morning! 

Long hours ... hmm.  If you don't count the endless hours parenting a kid with sensory difficulties and sleep disturbances (10 x's a night for 2-3 straight weeks so that I am missing huge chunks of this kid's childhood), there have been days where I worked 17 hours or more.  But they are rare.  We used to have a non-sectarian conference in our state that had workshops primarily using local experienced homeschoolers.  I used to present and have a booth in the vendor hall (selling Usborne books.)  Most years were longish, but manageable.  A couple of years were chaotic enough to require those kinds of hours.  Presenting 3 workshops, setting up and selling in the vendor hall, sending handout documents to local OfficeMax to be reprinted when they missed half the pages and going to pick them up, having one of my workshop boxes go missing and having to go around to vendors in the hall asking to borrow materials for my workshop, then falling into bed about 1 am, only to have to be up again at 6am ... yeah, some of those years had some really long hours.  But, most of my paid work has been fairly regular hours with some OT thrown in.  Right now, I am seriously underemployed (I don't get paid to drive dd everywhere since we don't have enough cars.) 

I've never been sailing.  It sounds like such fun.  I'd love to try it some time.  Living in the burbs an hour away from a big enough lake and not knowing anyone wealthy enough to have a sailboat and can pay harbor fees ... no access really. 

• Like 2

I have to admit that I LOVE anything water related. It's always been a dream to own my own boat - a sailboat would be lovely, but I'd even love a kayak. I took a 1-week sailing course in Norway one summer and it was the best time I've ever had on a boat. We were about 6 people in the course, all living on the sailboat. We sailed in the Oslo fjord, crossing over to Sweden and back again to the Norwegian side. We docked at designated places like little campgrounds for boats, with firepits and picnic tables on the land/rock. We walked or sailed into the local town for fresh food, then cooked it on the boat or at the campsite, and slept on the boat. We also had an all-night sail across the fjord, which was fantastic! I loved everything about it. I only threw-up once when the sea was a little rough.

• Like 2

Good afternoon, mates!  That's about as nautical as I get! LOL!  I might not be on here much next week. Dh's school spring break is this week, and we are going to Ohio to see his family. I hope you all have a great week! 

I used to work some long hours when I worked in financing for high-risk people. The long hours were working on collections. That was before I had my 20 year old daughter. 

We don't own a boat, so no. 

I didn't know that, but I had a sister who lived on a houseboat in a marina for awhile. 

• Like 1

I have not sailed. I have yachted.  :001_rolleyes: 

When I grow up, I want to rent a boat or get paid to take someone's boat along the intracoastal waterway. Of course I would have a small crew because I know NOTHING about boating. I have always wanted to live near the water, ocean or gulf mainly, even before I first saw it IRL. Currently land-locked.

There was a time when I worked day shift then went into the other department and worked second shift, about 14 to 16 hours.

• Like 2