Menu

Spelling Retention?

Maryam

We are using Spelling Workout and my 3rd grade dd is having a problem retaining correct spelling. She does very well on her tests after each lesson but later when I give tests on mistakes she's made in previous lessons, she gets them wrong again. Suggestions?

I like Apples and Pears for this because the words get used again in other lessons. My ds used to have that issue with Spalding but so far is doing well with Apples and Pears. Anytime he spells a word wrong I also have him air write it then spell it backwards.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 2

Spelling Workout did not work out for us. Dd could zip through the pages and didn't remember a thing afterward. We went with AAS, which has been working out, although for dd, spelling is a thing we need to do all year long, otherwise she forgets everything. Some people get a lot of use out of the tiles, my kid doesn't really like them, though I do pull them out for lessons that are more challenging for her. We do just about everything on the whiteboard.

• Like 1

All About Spelling does seem to do better in retention in my opinion.

I did use Spelling Workout for my older boys but I shouldn't have done anything. They were natural spellers and just memorizing a list just really didn't work for them.

Ok, no wonder my older dd isn't having any issues with Spelling Workout!

Seems like all I need to consider All About Spelling. But I had been avoiding it because the description I read made it seemed like it has too many components. Does it require a lot of prep? How "open and go" is it? Can someone give me a brief summary of what all is involved? (Or post a link that explains this?)

Thanks!

Edited for typos

Edited by Maryam

Seems like all I need to consider All About Spelling. But I had been avoiding it because the description I read made it seemed like it has been too many components. Does it require a lot of prep? How "open and go" is it? Can someone give me a brief summary of what all is involved? (Or post a link that explains this?)

Thanks!

Edited for typos

We love AAS, DS even asks for it on days when I don't grab it. It can be very open and go. We bought everything at first but for AAS3 I just bought the Teacher's manual and not the extra stuff. In the Manual you introduce a new concept and then there are words, phrases and sentences to go with it. For DS this is penmanship and dictation practice so I usually break it up over a few days per lesson. It's 10 min tops. You could teach and have the student use tiles for spelling. The extra cards are the spelling words, rules and sounds. AAS is really easy to use.

• Like 2

We are using Spelling Workout and my 3rd grade dd is having a problem retaining correct spelling. She does very well on her tests after each lesson but later when I give tests on mistakes she's made in previous lessons, she gets them wrong again. Suggestions?

I would expect a little 8yo person to still have problems retaining correct spelling. :-)

One of the things that will be important is for her to be using her spelling words in places other than her spelling lessons. Those words are not real to her until she actually sees them in other places and uses them herself.

My favorite for teaching children to spell is Spalding. The children write the words, analyze them for any rules, syllables, capitalization or punctuation, use them in their own original sentences, etc.

• Like 1

Seems like all I need to consider All About Spelling. But I had been avoiding it because the description I read made it seemed like it has been too many components. Does it require a lot of prep? How "open and go" is it? Can someone give me a brief summary of what all is involved? (Or post a link that explains this?)

Thanks!

Edited for typos

It's very open and go. I worried there would be too many "parts" also, but once you have things set up, it's really easy. Here's a blog post with a "typical week" to give you an idea. The genius of the cards is that you can review as much or as little as your student needs to achieve mastery. 

• Like 1

It's very open and go. I worried there would be too many "parts" also, but once you have things set up, it's really easy. Here's a blog post with a "typical week" to give you an idea. The genius of the cards is that you can review as much or as little as your student needs to achieve mastery.

Thanks! So do I just purchase the teacher's manual and student packet, or do I need the interactive kit as well?

Yes, to get started you would want the level 1 materials (which has the TM and student packet) and then a basic interactive kit. HTH!

It does! Thank you all for answering all my questions. So do I have her do the placement test or start from Level 1?

Was just coming to ask about this for my 3rd grader too. My older boy did well with apples and pears but my dd keeps forgetting the words from previous lessons. She also mixes up a lot of vowel sounds. She can read pretty well, but spelling is just not there. I'd love to do all about spelling but have spent what I can afford on curriculum already and really want to change writing programmes too as I really hate writing strands (although the kids don't mind it). I want more copy work and dictation for the early years.

Was just coming to ask about this for my 3rd grader too. My older boy did well with apples and pears but my dd keeps forgetting the words from previous lessons. She also mixes up a lot of vowel sounds. She can read pretty well, but spelling is just not there. I'd love to do all about spelling but have spent what I can afford on curriculum already and really want to change writing programmes too as I really hate writing strands (although the kids don't mind it). I want more copy work and dictation for the early years.

We just started using English Lessons Through Literature. My dd is not crazy about writing and copywork, but this is a curriculum she actually asks to do. I keep the copywork light and don't ask her to do it all, but it is working so far. I like that it includes copywork, narration and picture study. We are using Year 2 and have not yet run across dictation, but I think it comes later on.

• Like 1