Menu

Help Me Buy A Bra

Reefgazer

I need new bras and haven't been able to find ones that are satisfactory and meet my requirements.  For many years, I purchased Lane Bryant bras and was quick tor recommend them for large busts.  But their recent line-up of has included bras that are not really supportive or that are very poorly made and uncomfortable.  I need a recommendation for a super supportive, plus-sized bra for a large bust, underwire, and seamless.  Bonus points if it's pretty; the cost is irrelevant.  Hit me with your best ideas!

Edited by reefgazer

I need new bras and haven't been able to find ones that are satisfactory and meet my requirements. For many years, I purchased Lane Bryant bras and was quick tor recommend them for large busts. But their recent line-up of has included bras that are not really supportive or that are very poorly made and uncomfortable. I need a recommendation for a super supportive, plus-sized bra for a large bust, underwire, and seamless. Bonus points if it's pretty; the cost is irrelevant. Hit me with your best ideas!

Have you been measured professionally? You might need a smaller band and a larger cup.

ETA: my mom went from a 40DDD to a 34 H or I and started standing up straight again

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 5

Yes, I've been measured and the size is accurate.  I was finding supportive bras at Lane Bryant, but they changed the types of bras they are selling in the past 6 months-1 year; the quality has really fallen. 

Have you been measured professionally? You might need a smaller band and a larger cup.

ETA: my mom went from a 40DDD to a 34 H or I and started standing up straight again

Yes, I've been measured and the size is accurate. I was finding supportive bras at Lane Bryant, but they changed the types of bras they are selling in the past 6 months-1 year; the quality has really fallen.

Gotcha. I order online from stores like figleaves and herroom because of the better selection, reviews and free returns.

• Like 1

I absolutely always recommend Effuniak, by Ewa Michalak. Their bras are the absolute best for big boobs economically. Of course you can always go to Intimacy and use brands like Prima Donna and Empreinte, but Ewa Michalak is less expensive. The ones that have seams are not very noticeable, but she has tee shirt bras as well.

If price is no object then yeah, Intimacy/Rigby and Peller.

https://www.ewa-michalak.pl/main-eng.html

https://www.rigbyandpeller.com/INTERSHOP/web/WFS/VDV-RPUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewHomepage-DisplayLocalizedHomepage?20170324224919

Edited by Arctic Mama

She has nice bras! Is she based in Poland? If so, have you had many issues in getting them shipped to you? How are they with returns if they don't fit?

I absolutely always recommend Effuniak, by Ewa Michalak. Their bras are the absolute best for big boobs economically. Of course you can always go to Intimacy and use brands like Prima Donna and Empreinte, but Ewa Michalak is less expensive. The ones that have seams are not very noticeable, but she has tee shirt bras as well.

If price is no object then yeah, Intimacy/Rigby and Peller.

https://www.ewa-michalak.pl/main-eng.html

https://www.rigbyandpeller.com/INTERSHOP/web/WFS/VDV-RPUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewHomepage-DisplayLocalizedHomepage?20170324224919

She has nice bras! Is she based in Poland? If so, have you had many issues in getting them shipped to you? How are they with returns if they don't fit?

Poland, yep!

I've never had a shipping issue. It can be a little slow. But that's it. I like using DHL with them. Returns aren't a problem either, again just a little slow. And one thing to be sure of is to measure by her fit videos and formula since it tends to be different than typical European bra measurements. The Effuniaks have very firm hands and nice underwires that aren't too tall or wide, which I love. But zeroing in on your size and favorite style can take a little hunting but they're all excellent. The swimwear and babydolls are nice too.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I actually tried these a few months ago and liked them; they were as similar to Lane Bryant bras as I could find. But they are somewhat heavily (for me) padded and if I can find unpadded bras with that kind of support I prefer that. But I'll go there if I can't find unpadded ones. I like Torrid clothes; I didn't used to like them and don't like everything there, but I have to admit that a few of my favorite pieces come from there.

Try the Torrid store at your local mall. Ignore the sometimes trashy/questionable taste clothing and go toward the back in the lingerie area. Try on the different styles.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

My Soma bras have lasted a few years so far. Seem to be very well made. I did have one style that I returned because the wire poked me in the armpit (ouch!) and the manager made me try it on for her to show (even for an exchange)....very strange!! If I come across that again I will stop shopping there, I think that is ridiculous. Other than that, I am very happy with the quality.

• Like 1

I actually tried these a few months ago and liked them; they were as similar to Lane Bryant bras as I could find. But they are somewhat heavily (for me) padded and if I can find unpadded bras with that kind of support I prefer that. But I'll go there if I can't find unpadded ones. I like Torrid clothes; I didn't used to like them and don't like everything there, but I have to admit that a few of my favorite pieces come from there.

I think the padding is used as the support in the pushup bras, but I do think they have non-padded ones in some stores and on their website.  Check there?

Before I found those bras I paid twice as much for Wacoal in a department store.  You can find them cheaper online sometimes, but I really think you need to try them on first - I almost always had to go up a cup size and down a band size in them because the bands seem to stretch a bit more.

I lost a lot of weight but hung on to my old bras until the final pound was lost and then went to get fitted. Then I tried on bras in all the high end stores and out of desperation Walmart, nada. Finally I went to Target, grabbed every single bra that was in my size with underwire or not, and tried them on. I actually came away with 2 bras I love. Good luck!