Menu

Anyone found a leather coupon/cash budgeting wallet they love?

Katy

I'm having trouble ticking to my budget since we moved about a year ago.  I thought I might switch back to using cash again for a while, but my current wallet won't work - it has room for my phone but not much space for cash (Kate Spade).  I had high hopes for the Rachel Cruze wallet but it has terrible reviews for quality, and all the similar ones I've seen on amazon have pretty bad reviews too.  I'd like something leather, with credit card slots for my cards, and a secure closure system like perhaps a zipper that goes all the way around.  Bonus points for RFID blocking and a really pretty color that will stick out in my bag like pale blue, aqua, pale pink, or beige.

Following this...

I need to replace a leather wallet, but all of my online searches for "leather wallet" primarily bring up wallets labeled "Genuine PU Leather" ummmm that's nice that it's genuine polyurethane or whatever, but WHY clog up the search for actual non-vegan leather?

• Like 3

Do you carry coins as well as cash? Do you need your wallet to carry your phone too?

The PU leather big fat wallet I had does chip but did everything well except not RFID and does not hold my phone.

I have a longchamp crossbody style wallet that holds my phone, cash and all cards but is not RFID and does not hold coins.

After three months of searching at Nordstrom Rack, Bloomingdales and Macy, I gave up on having a wallet that can also hold my 6s iPhone along with cash, coins, coupons and cards. I find I have to really try wallets in store to make sure they can do better than what my current wallet can do.

Following this...

I need to replace a leather wallet, but all of my online searches for "leather wallet" primarily bring up wallets labeled "Genuine PU Leather" ummmm that's nice that it's genuine polyurethane or whatever, but WHY clog up the search for actual non-vegan leather?

:iagree:

That annoys me, too, and the phrasing is often very deceptive!

• Like 1

Katy, have you tried the Coach store? I have a wallet like you describe (not RFID-blocking, though) but I bought it a while back so I don't know if they make it any more. After a few months, I ended up buying something smaller and lighter weight because the other one was so thick that I could pack way too much stuff into it. And if there is space, I will fill it. :D

You could also try the Coach outlet store. They usually have a good selection of wallets. You could even call them and ask if they have what you need.

• Like 2

I haven't tried Coach.  There's an outlet about an hour from here.  That's a great idea.

ETA:  Just stumbled into an Hermes wallet that might be perfect, but there is no way I'm going to even convince myself, let alone DH, that a $3.3K wallet will help me to better budget!

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3

Do you carry coins as well as cash? Do you need your wallet to carry your phone too?

The PU leather big fat wallet I had does chip but did everything well except not RFID and does not hold my phone.

I have a longchamp crossbody style wallet that holds my phone, cash and all cards but is not RFID and does not hold coins.

After three months of searching at Nordstrom Rack, Bloomingdales and Macy, I gave up on having a wallet that can also hold my 6s iPhone along with cash, coins, coupons and cards. I find I have to really try wallets in store to make sure they can do better than what my current wallet can do.

This what I use. It has "cash" size pockets on both sides so I use one side for cash and the other for coupons. Plenty of room for cards as well as a zippered pocket for coins.

This what I use. It has "cash" size pockets on both sides so I use one side for cash and the other for coupons. Plenty of room for cards as well as a zippered pocket for coins.

I tried that wallet at Nordstrom Rack and again at Macy. It is lovely but won't fit my old iPhone 5s in its otterbox case. I also have an embarrassing amount of cards as I have five library cards, insurance cards and also public transport clipper (stored value) cards.

But it's probably a really nice Hermes wallet. ;)

And those things never go out of style...

Right?!  DH knows my love of Hermes. I've drooled over Kelly bags for years. But we have college funds to finish first, and by then I'll be scouting out retirement homes and deciding just how close to the beach I care to pay for.  I'd probably have to start working full time to make myself happy with that sort of purchase.

I wonder if I could find a used one for 90% off.

• Like 2

Right?! DH knows my love of Hermes. I've drooled over Kelly bags for years. But we have college funds to finish first, and by then I'll be scouting out retirement homes and deciding just how close to the beach I care to pay for. I'd probably have to start working full time to make myself happy with that sort of purchase.

If you do, order one for me, too! :)

I forgot to mention that you should get on the Coach Outlet email list because they will end you coupons periodically throughout the year and they'll also let you know when they're having big percentage-off sales at the outlet stores. They usually have coupons in the stores, but it's nice to know when they're available so you'll know the best times to shop.

• Like 1

If you do, order one for me, too! :)

I forgot to mention that you should get on the Coach Outlet email list because they will end you coupons periodically throughout the year and they'll also let you know when they're having big percentage-off sales at the outlet stores. They usually have coupons in the stores, but it's nice to know when they're available so you'll know the best times to shop.

Okay, I'll do that.  I bought a coach purse with birthday money when I was 18, it was brown leather, I carried it for years and it still looks awesome.  Coach is a great idea.

• Like 1

I do have a wallet I *love* that would work very well for those purposes, but I can't find it anywhere online.  It's a Buxton, orange with pink flamingos, lol.  All together, it's got a good 7 cash-sized spots, plus one slightly smaller. And 12 card slots, plus zipper coin pouch.  I adore it, even if my daughters think it's hideous!

• Like 1

Right?!  DH knows my love of Hermes. I've drooled over Kelly bags for years.

(Snipped)

But... 90% off of $3,300 is still paying $330! I don't have that much cash to put IN a wallet, much less buy one with.

I bet it's gorgeous.., off to Google...

• Like 1

For those who are looking too, I went shopping today. I found a ton of options in the $10-70 range at TJ Maxx and Marshalls, but they all either seemed like they either wouldn't last a year or they were not a color/style I cared for.  I checked a thrift store nearby where I often find great deals, but wasn't in love with anything there. Then I went to department stores.  I found the Frye Melissa Wallet at several of them and ended up settling on that.  It was pricey at $168, so DH bought it as an anniversary present.  I'm very happy with it - it matches my favorite purse, it's quite roomy without being huge, and it seems like the sort of thing that might last 20 years.

• Like 2