Menu

Looking for recommendations for a cheap but reliable tablet ..

housemouse

A tablet that will survive and occupy a very active 5 yo on 4 hour flight each way. I'd rather not spend large amount of money on the tablet since it is most likely will be used very seldom if at all once we are back home.  I just need it do get the job done for a nice and quiet flight with the least amount of interruptions.

Thank you so very much.

• Like 1

I would just get a Kindle Fire with a good case for that. Though you could probably get away without the case if that's all you'd be using it for. Or just put some kid-friendly apps on your phone (I'm assuming you have a smartphone) and use that.

• Like 1

I suspect that a Smart Phone might be more rugged than an inexpensive Tablet? The Samsung  phone I am using was previously used by a boy who I think is now 6 or 7 years old. My wife bought it from her niece, his mother.  It works perfectly.  I assume he played games on it, when he was 4 or 5 years old.  It does not have Gorilla Glass.  

ETA: I have been using it for 10+ months, so I know that everything on that phone works.

Edited by Lanny

Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is but Amazon is offering a Kindle Fire Kids Edition tablet for $99 with a Kid-proof case, a 2 year, no questions asked breakage warranty and a year of Amazon Freetime Unlimited for free. I'll try to post a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Kids-Tablet-Display-Kid-Proof/dp/B018Y22C2Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489804961&sr=8-2&keywords=kids+ipad

I just bought one for my special needs preschooler. I bought extra memory and the screen protector as well.

• Like 2

Do you have prime? If so then a fire would work because there are soooo many free apps on the underground feature (full versions, no "buying" extra levels or maps) and you can download some prime shows/movies to watch off wifi. There are the Bernstein bears books and some other kids book apps that are free in underground.

I got a rugged case for like $14 off ebay (like this one). 

• Like 1

Not sure what your definition of "cheap" is but Amazon is offering a Kindle Fire Kids Edition tablet for $99 with a Kid-proof case, a 2 year, no questions asked breakage warranty and a year of Amazon Freetime Unlimited for free. I'll try to post a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Kids-Tablet-Display-Kid-Proof/dp/B018Y22C2Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489804961&sr=8-2&keywords=kids+ipad

I just bought one for my special needs preschooler. I bought extra memory and the screen protector as well.

Two year no questions asked breakage warranty is hard to beat.  I would look closely at that model. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so now that I have the Kindle Fire Kids' Edition, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to download movies and youtube videos to the memory card?

I need something to play for ds in the car with no internet available. Help!  :willy_nilly:

Youtube has youtube red ($10/month) where you can download videos to watch offline. Another option if you have a PC is  to get a Youtube downloader software (free from cnet . com or the like) and download some videos yourself, then hook up your kindle to your PC via the charging cable and transfer them to the SD card that way.

Amazon does let you download some videos then watch offline. (But I haven't found a way to add "Prime videos" to the kids log-in? It only lets me add the videos we "own". Anyone figure that out???) 

Do you have prime? If so then a fire would work because there are soooo many free apps on the underground feature (full versions, no "buying" extra levels or maps) and you can download some prime shows/movies to watch off wifi. There are the Bernstein bears books and some other kids book apps that are free in underground.

I got a rugged case for like $14 off ebay (like this one).

What is the underground feature?

What is the underground feature?

If you go o the app store, there is a section called underground (I'll try a link, hope it works: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=nav_shopall_adr_banjo?ie=UTF8&node=11350978011  )

All the apps are free as well as any "in-game" levels, etc. You know how some games are free and include like 10 levels, but you have to buy the rest? These apps all the features/levels are free.

ETA: OK, link doesn't work.... go to amazon homepage and on the "Departments" drop down, select "Appstore for Android" and the top choice on the menu should be "Underground Apps & Games" . I'm not sure if this works if you don't own a fire or have prime.... I can't remember what the requirement is.

ETA again: I think I fixed the link   Nope never mind

Edited by Um_2_4

I would also do a kindle fire. About a year and half ago we got two for my older two and they've been great for vacations. I ended up grabbing two more for my younger two for an upcoming vacation. They have been going on sale lately. I got the kids edition for $79. I'm. It sure if it was prime only or for anyone.

I do NOT recommend the freetime that comes with the kids version for the year (and then you play afterwards). It always seemed to mess up the kindles making the kids redo load things and other apps not working. Since we got rid of it they've rarely had problems. Plus the freetime books and apps weren't all that great imo. They tended to download a bunch of junk and it slowed things down. It took up a lot of data which doesn't matter if you have unlimited or fast but we are rural so it's slower and limited.