Menu

Cathy Duffy's reviews...do you trust her opinion?

Cathy Duffy seems to be the main source for homeschool curriculum reviews...and I was wondering if you have ever had it happen where she says a program is a complete program and you thought differently or she said something else and your experience was very different?

Just curious.

I've found Cathy Duffy reviews to be helpful overall, but of course different people have different experiences and opinions when it comes to curriculum--and she hasn't actually used most of the curricula she reviews to educate children! 

Now, my main point for responding...what in the world do you mean by the bolded bit above? The main source for curriculum reviews is unquestionably The Hive.

Just had to say that :D

• Like 26

you are so right...the hive is THE source...but when you look at certain programs.....many have Cathy's stamp of approval...I think maybe the Hive needs one of those stamps too...

I ask this question because Cathy says MathHelp is a complete math course and other people have reviewed the program as not a complete program.  

So, yes, of course every kid, every family is different.  But I was just curious.

• Like 1

I find them helpful to narrow choices down. She has the most comprehensive reviews available and it's easy to compare her review of three different math programs. However, it's not the only source I use. Once I have my choices narrowed down, I read threads here and start comparing samples.

I hope no one throws tomatoes at me for saying this, as I dearly value the Hive's opinion. BUT, I keep my CD book nearby because I feel her reviews are sometimes more balanced and practical whereas some of the standards on here are, shall we say, a bit inflated in keeping with reviews by parents of many students who are above average? Particularly if you see a program being slammed here as light, sometimes reading her review can help you dig in deeper into why they might be saying that and whether or not it should be relevant to your case. 

Edited by texasmom33

And to finish answering your question- I haven't been disappointed in any of the programs I've bought and used that she's recommended. I cannot say the same thing for purchases made due to blog or other internet recommendations. It's been more hit and miss in those cases. 

I hope no one throws tomatoes at me for saying this, as I dearly value the Hive's opinion. BUT, I keep my CD book nearby because I feel her reviews are sometimes more balanced and practical whereas some of the standards on here are, shall we say, a bit inflated in keeping with reviews by parents of many students who are above average? Particularly if you see a program being slammed here as light, sometimes reading her review can help you dig in deeper into why they might be saying that and whether or not it should be relevant to your case.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I do find CD's reviews to be balanced and aimed at the AVERAGE student, which most people have. Standards on this forum are high and tend to lean towards the above-average student.

I wondered what you meant by your question at first - did you think she was lying? But, I understand now.

I've found her reviews to be truthful, but only within her understanding & purview. I haven't always found something she thought was great to be great for my family. I've learned to read all reviews for the pros & cons as that person saw them. Sometimes, their cons are my pros. I could give examples, but you aren't looking for those.

If she says a math program is complete, she believes it is complete for the majority of kids & for the average student. It may not be complete for Hive standards. It may not be complete for a student who needs *more* than what it includes (either because of a math disability or a math super-ability or even just that they learn math a different way than how the program presents it). It also depends on how you use it.

There are a some people, maybe not many, who can use Khan Academy very well as their main (and only) math program. Most people would say the use it as a supplement. These two groups are using Khan Academy very differently & for big differences in time (an hour a day vs. an hour a week). And perhaps for kids with very different learning styles.

Cathy is going to approach things as if you are using the program as intended by the author/developer with an average student.

• Like 2

Cathy Duffy seems to be the main source for homeschool curriculum reviews...and I was wondering if you have ever had it happen where she says a program is a complete program and you thought differently or she said something else and your experience was very different?

Just curious.

Mostly, yes. If nothing else, she lets you know that such a product exists, so you can check it out yourself.

She only publishes reviews on products she likes, BTW.

• Like 1

Mostly, yes. If nothing else, she lets you know that such a product exists, so you can check it out yourself.

She only publishes reviews on products she likes, BTW.

So if she hasn't reviewed it there might be a chance she doesn't like it?  Not that she doesn't know about it.  Interesting.  I think I did suggest a program to her once and she actually reviewed, liked it and published the review.

I like Cathy Duffy is useful, and I have recommended her book for newbies. But she's not perfect - no one is . She shows a conservative Christian bias. I've seen it in several reviews, but the one that stuck with me was an early US history curriculum where she cautioned that explorers / missionaries were portrayed negativity . She suggests that parents supplement with successful conversion stories . Which from a secular homeschooling POV is honestly just bizarre.

But. I do have and use her book . She does a nice job in general. I don't know of another resource that offers so many concise but thorough walkthroughs of what's out there. Just be aware of the blind spots.

• Like 2

So if she hasn't reviewed it there might be a chance she doesn't like it?  Not that she doesn't know about it.  Interesting.  I think I did suggest a program to her once and she actually reviewed, liked it and published the review.

Yes, that is correct.

I have questioned her comments (although not to her personally, just in my head, lol). For example, in her reviews of Rod and Staff's math series, she says about the third grade text, "Students copy problems from their text to solve on paper, but, curiously, there are rarely any instructions in their book." Um...that's because for the first three grades, the teacher teaches the lesson first; the work in the textbook (and workbooks for first and second grade) just reinforces what was taught in class, so there is no need for instructions in the text. She even says that in her general overview, so I'm surprised that she felt the need to make that comment. o_0

FTR, Cathy Duffy has slept in my house. She was one of the earliest board members of Christian Home Educators Association of California (CHEA), and she wrote her first reviews for CHEA. :-)

• Like 4

I think she's good at spelling out the features and potential pros and cons of a product in a relatively balanced way. I think her reviews are a useful first stop when you're trying to see what a product is.

But... I've never really found her opinions or endorsements especially useful in picking one product over another, mostly because her views seem so on the surface - I assume her experience of the products is mostly in reviewing them, not using them long term. And she's just saying, this is good, not this is great, this is amazing for this, that's amazing for that, etc. So... a good first stop review, not a good in depth experience review.

• Like 7

I think she's good at spelling out the features and potential pros and cons of a product in a relatively balanced way. I think her reviews are a useful first stop when you're trying to see what a product is.

But... I've never really found her opinions or endorsements especially useful in picking one product over another, mostly because her views seem so on the surface - I assume her experience of the products is mostly in reviewing them, not using them long term. And she's just saying, this is good, not this is great, this is amazing for this, that's amazing for that, etc. So... a good first stop review, not a good in depth experience review.

Reviews is exactly what she does, and there's value in that, even if she hasn't used the things she reviews. Some people cannot really tell you about the things they have used with enough detail so that you know you could also use it. Many people modify the things they use, so that you cannot really tell if those things would work for you. Also, you have to ponder the actual person who's telling you about her own experience. Is she a baby homeschooler? Did she already have knowledge about the subject that she was able to incorporate when she was using that product, so that she didn't use all of its features? How long did she use it? With all of her children? 

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 5

Reviews is exactly what she does, and there's value in that, even if she hasn't used the things she reviews. Some people cannot really tell you about the things they have used with enough detail so that you know you could also use it. Many people modify the things they use, so that you cannot really tell if those things would work for you. Also, you have to ponder the actual person who's telling you about her own experience. Is she a baby homeschooler? Did she already have knowledge about the subject that she was able to incorporate when she was using that product, so that she didn't use all of its features? How long did she use it? With all of her children? 

I totally agree with all this. She's very good at outlining what a product does and what might be the potential good and bad things about it. And it's from a very neutral, informed place, obviously. But... it also means I don't know if I can say I trust her "opinion." I think she has a good, honest set of skills. But she's not expressing a very strong opinion about much of anything in her reviews. Of course, you have to be careful of the strong opinions. I don't think anyone should choose a curriculum after a single source, unless you somehow manage to find someone who is just that in sync with you.

• Like 1

I totally agree with all this. She's very good at outlining what a product does and what might be the potential good and bad things about it. And it's from a very neutral, informed place, obviously. But... it also means I don't know if I can say I trust her "opinion." I think she has a good, honest set of skills. But she's not expressing a very strong opinion about much of anything in her reviews. Of course, you have to be careful of the strong opinions. I don't think anyone should choose a curriculum after a single source, unless you somehow manage to find someone who is just that in sync with you.

She's really not expressing an opinion. She's just reviewing the product. And she only publishes reviews for products she likes.

I loved Mary Pride's first book, the Big Book of Homeschooling. I don't know if she publishes it any more (first it was one book, then two, then four...I think). The first publications were all her; after that, she had people review materials for her; I liked her opinions and thoughts much better than Cathy's. Cathy tends to be...dry.

The best way to learn about something, to have a pretty good idea of whether it will work for *you* or not, is to hold it in your hand, and read all of it, every single page, and imagine yourself teaching it and your children actually doing it. That's why book fairs and conventions can be so helpful. I have borrowed things a couple of times from friends and lived with the things for a few days before deciding whether or not they will work for me. Lacking friends or book fairs, Cathy's reviews are a good place to start. :-)

ETA: In today's Internet world, the ability to read samples on-line is an amazing thing. I have enough experience now that I can tell pretty quickly whether something would work for me or not.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 2

She's really not expressing an opinion. She's just reviewing the product. And she only publishes reviews for products she likes.

I loved Mary Pride's first book, the Big Book of Homeschooling. I don't know if she publishes it any more (first it was one book, then two, then four...I think). The first publications were all her; after that, she had people review materials for her; I liked her opinions and thoughts much better than Cathy's. Cathy tends to be...dry.

The best way to learn about something, to have a pretty good idea of whether it will work for *you* or not, is to hold it in your hand, and read all of it, every single page, and imagine yourself teaching it and your children actually doing it. That's why book fairs and conventions can be so helpful. I have borrowed things a couple of times from friends and lived with the things for a few days before deciding whether or not they will work for me. Lacking friends or book fairs, Cathy's reviews are a good place to start. :-)

ETA: In today's Internet world, the ability to read samples on-line is an amazing thing. I have enough experience now that I can tell pretty quickly whether something would work for me or not.

Yes, exactly. But the OP asked if we trusted her opinion. I guess I think that's an odd question. I trust her expertise in outlining what's good about products. But she's not really expressing a "this will work for you!" type opinion at all, not even a "if ___, then this will work for you!" opinion. She's just showing off what's good (and sometimes not good) about products. She is dry. So true.

I also have gotten better at looking at the samples and knowing what will work for us. But sometimes I'm wrong. Sometimes hearing all the reviews helps me realize that I need something I didn't think I needed.

• Like 2

I like her categories. Things like teacher prep time and secular versus Christian etc. The curriculum is what it is but that doesn't mean it's for us.

I then go to Amazon and read specifically the negative reviews. They always seem to tell me more because they are picking apart the curriculum. Sometimes a thorough negative review tells me I really need a curriculum. :)

• Like 1