Menu

PSA -- UPS scam/worm/virus

Alessandra

I got a weird email

Dear Customer,

We can not deliver your parcel arrived at March 07.

Please check delivery label attached!

Thank you for making business with us,
Salvador Couch,
UPS Operation Manager.

There is a file attached, which I looked at (zip file), but did NOT open. The email subject line is: 'UPS parcel #xxxxxxxx delivery problem.' The number (which I did not copy here) does not come up when I search it on UPS website. 

The sender is a weird address. I copied, then deleted.

Edited to change thread title from a question to a warning  :-(

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I would say yes, it is nefarious.

awkward wording. UPS would not write like that.

not from UPS

if they tried to deliver and could not, they would leave a message on the door......and if that wasn't possible, contact the sender, not you. 

Mark as spam in you email, delete asap without opening and purge your garbage also. 

• Like 1

I would say yes, it is nefarious.

awkward wording. UPS would not write like that.

not from UPS

if they tried to deliver and could not, they would leave a message on the door......and if that wasn't possible, contact the sender, not you. 

Mark as spam in you email, delete asap without opening and purge your garbage also. 

Thank for reminder. I deleted it in Trash too.

I clicked on it once, but did not open it. Yes -- STUPID, I know. will that be a problem? I skimmed the email at first, without noticing the scummy English.

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Edited by Alessandra

Thank for reminder. I deleted it in Trash too.

I clicked on it once, but did not open it. Yes -- STUPID, I know. will that be a problem? I skimmed the email at first, without noticing the scummy English.

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I would clear my history, and cache, then restart the computer.  If it is on a network, or automatically saves to a back up drive,  I would disconnect for a few days.   If your computer saves restore points, you could set it back in time.  Check your download folder and make sure nothing was downloaded today.  

• Like 1

There are tons of variants of this scam out there.

DO NOT CLICK ON RANDOM ATTACHMENTS.

The UPS, or the Postal service, or the IRS - none of them would email you.

In theory, I know this. But, haste makes waste and all that. I was skimming/deleting a mass of unopened emails. At least I did not open the zip file.

I would clear my history, and cache, then restart the computer.  If it is on a network, or automatically saves to a back up drive,  I would disconnect for a few days.   If your computer saves restore points, you could set it back in time.  Check your download folder and make sure nothing was downloaded today.

Thank you. Good advice! I truly appreciate it. The only zips in my download folder were old Jim Weiss recordings from WTM, lol.

• Like 1