Menu

Mapping and Timeline Suggestions for "A History of Us" by Hakim

Thanks, I saw this, but I can't tell from the samples if it contains any maps or timeline suggestions.

No timeline or map work included in this.  It is a schedule for all the books, plus the sourcebook, with reading comprehension questions.  There are suggestions for projects and research papers. 

Not really correlated at all as far as lessons go, but we do Trail Guide to US Geography along with our US History studies and it works well.

And in the logic stage for a timeline I just have the free basic SCM book of centuries that they write in themselves. It's not "pretty" like some timelines are but they take ownership of it.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Yes, there are both elementary level and middle/high school level teacher guides and student guides available for this.  Check out www.joyhakim.com and click on the Teacher Resources tab.  There is a table at the bottom showing the different guides available for each book.  I have found the guides at Amazon and also Rainbow Resource.

The description of the middle/high school guides say they have map work.  I just purchased a couple of the teachers guides and I know there are maps in it but I have not had a chance to review it yet.  I have purchased a student guide and it should arrive in a couple of days.  I have not seen anything about map work for the elementary guides but the samples available are very limited.  I did not find anything about map work in the descriptions of the elementary guides though, although I could have missed it.

I do not know if the guides have the timeline work but there is a list of important events with dates in the back of each of the books that could be used for timeline work.  That is what I am planning to use, along with some figures from Home School in the Woods.

ETA: The student guide also gives the student some direction and graphic organizers for taking notes and sorting information as they are reading the chapter.  Looks like a good start in helping children learn how to read-to-learn.

Edited by Lea in OK
  • Like 1

I think I solved my problem.   (I'm updating in case people search for this same question.)   

I ended up purchasing BYL for Grade 5.   It contains Hakim's A History of US books 1-4 scheduled along with integrated mapping, timeline assignments, writing assignments, literature (both read alouds and readers), primary source documents, memory work, logic stage science (with timeline, reading and writing assignments), poetry, art, state studies, various note booking pages, etc. etc.   I was really surprised by how much is included in these plans for the price!   They are much better than anything I probably would have put together myself.

This download saved me a BUNCH of time and it was a lot cheaper than buying all of these bits and pieces.   I just eliminated multiple other products from my "to buy list" (timelines, maps, student guides, state notebook pages, US geography, biography note booking pages, poetry study, US art plans).  

(That means I can actually buy more books. :hurray:   )   Plus I don't have to try and put all of these pieces together myself and try to make a cohesive study of history.   (That saves me a BUNCH of time.)

The maps and timeline figures may not be as pretty as the knowledge quest maps / homeschool in the woods timeline products---BUT they are really going to be just fine for our use.   They will accomplish everything I need them to do I think.  

Anyway, I hope this next school year turns out to be as great as I am thinking it will be.  (I always start out the year so optimistic.  hahaha)

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 2

I think I solved my problem.   (I'm updating in case people search for this same question.)   

I ended up purchasing BYL for Grade 5.   It contains Hakim's A History of US books 1-4 scheduled along with integrated mapping, timeline assignments, writing assignments, literature (both read alouds and readers), primary source documents, memory work, logic stage science (with timeline, reading and writing assignments), poetry, art, state studies, various note booking pages, etc. etc.   I was really surprised by how much is included in these plans for the price!   They are much better than anything I probably would have put together myself.

This download saved me a BUNCH of time and it was a lot cheaper than buying all of these bits and pieces.   I just eliminated multiple other products from my "to buy list" (timelines, maps, student guides, state notebook pages, US geography, biography note booking pages, poetry study, US art plans).  

(That means I can actually buy more books. :hurray:   )   Plus I don't have to try and put all of these pieces together myself and try to make a cohesive study of history.   (That saves me a BUNCH of time.)

The maps and timeline figures may not be as pretty as the knowledge quest maps / homeschool in the woods timeline products---BUT they are really going to be just fine for our use.   They will accomplish everything I need them to do I think.  

Anyway, I hope this next school year turns out to be as great as I am thinking it will be.  (I always start out the year so optimistic.  hahaha)

I'm considering the 6th grade curriculum solely for the purpose of getting us through the second half of the Hakim series.  (I'm also buying Pin-it maps, DS wants to map out important events on his own. http://www.pinitmaps.com/)