Menu

Speed Queen washers--are they too small?

PrairieSong

We are replacing our old washer and I've been reading about Speed Queens, here and elsewhere, and have looked at them at a local dealer. I would prefer the basic model with the mechanical controls, not the digital ones. However, I'm concerned that the washer will be too small to wash certain things, like my king-sized bedspread. It's a fairly thin bedspread, not a bulky comforter. What do you think? Would it fit?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have washed two twin-sized cotton quilts at the same time in mine. I think you'd be okay.

The Speed Queen is absolutely the best washer ever and I would get one even if it meant I had to take my king-sized comforter to the laundromat. Seriously, it's a thing of beauty. 

ETA: I opted for the basic controls, too. Love it. Simple and unbreakable. :)

Edited by Janie Grace
  • Like 2

How many cubic feet is it?

I have a 3.8 cu. ft. GE washer and I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. It can handle washing our king size comforters with ease. 

I haven't looked at Speed Queens because no one in our area sells or services them, but we're very happy with our GE. It's a very basic model with mechanical controls and a quick wash cycle. It's the best washer we've ever had.

Edited by Selkie

I have the manual control Speed Queen. I've washed a very fluffy queen-sized comforter in it with no problem. I've never tried a king...but I love my Speed Queen so much that it makes no difference to me. It is the best washer I've ever had and the capacity exceeds all the other washers I've had as well.

• Like 2

I just got one last fall based on recommendations here.  Overall it's just a smidge smaller than my front loader.  Like maybe one less bath towel or one less bulky sweatshirt.  But it more than makes up for because it can wash stuff so much faster (I had totally forgotten it was possible to wash clothes in less than an hour).  As far as the king size comforter.  mine isn't super high quality but it was still pretty puffy because it wasn't that old.  We've jammed it in there a few times but it always sticks up above the water level even on max fill.  This last time something must have caught on the agitator because a corner of it is all bunched up and e can't really get it to smooth out.  

Since I didn't spend a lot on the comforter, I'm not that bothered by this.  I'll just replace it in a few years when it's worn out.  If you care alot about the comforter, than I would plan on taking it to the laundry mat but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker because everything else about the Speed Queen has been so much better.

• Like 1

How many cubic feet is it?

I have a 3.8 cu. ft. GE washer and I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. It can handle washing our king size comforters with ease.

I haven't looked at Speed Queens because no one in our area sells or services them, but we're very happy with our GE. It's a very basic model with mechanical controls and a quick wash cycle. It's the best washer we've ever had.

The Speed Queen is 3.3 cubic feet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I wash my king-sized blanket in it without issues, but haven't tried a comforter.  I haven't had issues washing a queen sized quilt in mine.  I worried it might be too small- I have a large family and we really use our washer, but it really holds plenty!  I haven't noticed it being a problem, but I worried about it before when trying to compare units.  ONe thing to keep in mind-it uses actual water, so your clothes are getting clean!  I had so many issues w / my front loader not washing things well, I always had to rinse out clothes, rewash items- and if kids peed the bed- UGH!  It would not get it all out.  Not a problem with the speed queen!  I"d much rather have my clothes washed in a decent amount of water and get clean- even if it means a few extra loads per week- I wasn't having to re-wash any items.

• Like 1