Menu

How to Teach Piano - Books to use?

Our stay oversees has been extended another year, but my DS hasn't forgotten our promise to start piano lessons at age 6 (we thought we would be back in the States and get a private instructor). So now I'm thinking of teaching him on my own for a year, then getting an instructor when we move back. I do have some piano experience, but I'm very rusty. 

Can anyone recommend some curriculum to use?

Hoffman Academy online.

You can subscribe to the site if you want to. That gives your child access to a couple (not all that great, in our opinion) practice games and "lesson plans" (it tells your child what to learn, what to review and what to practice each day).

OTOH, you can access all the lessons for free without subscribing. Then, you can just buy the sheet music and worksheets for each unit, and decide on your own practice/review schedule.

Wendy

• Like 2

Oh, for young beginners (4-6) I love Music for Little Mozarts!  You don't need the whole gear set with stuffed animals - you can just use the lesson book, if you have any music background at all.  Kids love it, and they go really quickly.  I like that it teaches only ONE new thing per piece - no multi-tasking. 

• Like 1

The Piano Adventures series is very good. Start with the Primer level for a 6yo.

Piano Adventures. The primer level is not hard to teach.

I'm teaching my own kids with this program. It's been easy and fun. My oldest is now in Level 3A. She's doing so well!

For those who recommend Piano Adventures Primer, you think it's fine to skip the first series then? The website says "My First Piano Adventure" series is for 5-6 year olds, then after that move into Primer. Can I start him at Primer though?

Also, there are a lot of different books to get. Are all of them necessary? Which ones would be the best to get? I see a Lesson Book, Theory Book, Technique and Artistry Book, Performance Book, Sightreading Book, Good Star Performance (not sure what this even is), Teacher Guide, Popular Repertoire, Christmas Book, and CD. GOODNESS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoffman Academy online.

You can subscribe to the site if you want to. That gives your child access to a couple (not all that great, in our opinion) practice games and "lesson plans" (it tells your child what to learn, what to review and what to practice each day).

OTOH, you can access all the lessons for free without subscribing. Then, you can just buy the sheet music and worksheets for each unit, and decide on your own practice/review schedule.

Wendy

This is really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

For those who recommend Piano Adventures Primer, you think it's fine to skip the first series then? The website says "My First Piano Adventure" series is for 5-6 year olds, then after that move into Primer. Can I start him at Primer though?

Also, there are a lot of different books to get. Are all of them necessary? Which ones would be the best to get? I see a Lesson Book, Theory Book, Technique and Artistry Book, Performance Book, Sightreading Book, Good Star Performance (not sure what this even is), Teacher Guide, Popular Repertoire, Christmas Book, and CD. GOODNESS!

I would say I would use My First Piano Adventures with a 4-6yo, or start with the Primer for a 6-9yo. So a 6yo I would look to decide. MFPA has 2 books or level.... A course book and a Writing book and you need both.

I am not as familiar with Piano Adventures, but I think you would need the Lesson Book and Theory Book, and eventually the sight Reading Book. Probably the Teacher Book. I think the others provide more songs to use for variety, practice, or songs for recitals (so not every child is playing the same songs). They also have other song books at the different levels available so the student can play songs they are interested in. The Popular book and Christmas book are probably part of those. The CD I think provides accompaniment for playing with.

There are girls and samples on their webpage and also a teachers forum that you would find helpful.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My First...

https://pianoadventures.com/publications/teachers-step-by-step-first-lesson-plan-for-the-a-books/

https://pianoadventures.com/myfirst/

http://pianoteaching.com/publications/mainLibraries/pa/myfirst.html

Primer.....

http://pianoteaching.com/publications/mainLibraries/pa/primer.html

The extra music so they can add songs they like...

http://pianoteaching.com/publications/mainLibraries/ptbtPiano.html

• Like 1

HOW DO I USE PIANO ADVENTURES®?

For beginning students ages 5 to 6, use My First Piano Adventure®. My First Piano Adventure® captures the child's playful spirit. Fun-filled songs, rhythm games and technique activities develop beginning keyboard skills. My First's three levels, A, B, and C, each have a Lesson Book with CD and a Writing Book. Book C of this young beginner course leads into Level 1 of basic Piano Adventures®.

» Take the online tour and video guide to My First Piano Adventure

For beginning students ages 7 to 9, use the basic edition of Piano Adventures®, starting at the Primer level. All students need the Lesson Book and Theory Book, and most should also be given the Performance Book and Technique & Artistry Book. If you only teach a 30-minute lesson, however, you may need to choose between the latter two books. As the student finishes the pre-reading units, add a PreTime® Piano book of the student's choice. ("PreTime®" = Primer level) Young students enjoy PreTime® Children's Songs; PreTime® Favorites is a staple in many studios; older students appreciate PreTime® Popular or PreTime® Classics. For fun and work on rhythm, use PreTime® Rock 'n Roll or PreTime® Jazz & Blues.

• Like 1