Menu

Do you ever remember threads when out IRL?

creekland

Do you ever remember threads when out IRL?  I do.

We're camping (tenting) now - waterfront spot - one of our Top 10 campgrounds and my mind has wandered back to various threads where people talked about how much they loved or hated camping - or perhaps only did it to save money.

My mind is in my happy place.  I love listening to the wind, rain, raccoons, birds, bugs - all of nature - and getting up to go on a morning beach walk watching gulls, herons, ibises, pelicans, etc.  This campground is in nature - not packed with noise from pools or other amenities.  Folks here are generally "just like us" no matter what age from young with/without kids to senior citizens.  I wouldn't trade places for any hotel room even if money weren't an object.

And as I'm in my sleeping bag listening to nature and walking along the beach after my visit to the bathhouse my mind wandered back to the various threads and how my "happy place" would be others "ugh!" places - some preferring hotels, others preferring not to travel, etc.

It's amazing just how different we humans are.

What threads create the same thoughts in others?  Or am I just weird?

• Like 4

LOL, just reading your description makes me a little nervous... listening to raccoons and bugs while in a sleeping bag... It's so great that there are people who enjoy nature in that way. I'm definitely not one of them.  :laugh:

My "waterfront happy place" is the Ritz-Carlton on Grand Cayman. Sitting in a cushioned beach chair, listening to the waves and the sound of someone asking me if I need more iced tea. Watching the sun drop into the ocean and then heading to dinner at a fabulous restaurant.  

The next time I'm there, I'll think of the wonderful description you just gave of your campsite!

• Like 4

Definitely.  And there have been times the kids will bring something up, too.  "Oh, Mom look at this lovely stained glass window.  Doesn't ______________ (on-line friend) love stained glass?  I'm going to take a picture so you can send it to her."

As Okbud said, my on-line friends ARE friends IRL.  We just don't see each other's faces that much (or at all if they are camera shy).

• Like 2

Ooooh, I'd love to peek at your top 10 campground list!  

We have always primitive camped, but with kids now - we need a campground.  I'm at a loss.  The ones we've tried have been ... not so great.  

Have a wonderful time!

Me too!

We're going camping for two weeks in May and I can't wait.  We're spending one week at Davidson River campground and one week....somewhere else that I can't remember because dh set it up.

• Like 2

I think about stuff I've read here all of the time. This thread reminds me of a camping thread in which someone posted a link to a fantastic portable camping kitchen from Cabela's. Who knew such things existed?

Other things: stores and their return policies, dealing with teenagers, certain symptoms and what health conditions they might indicate. The list goes on.......

• Like 1

Ooooh, I'd love to peek at your top 10 campground list!  

We have always primitive camped, but with kids now - we need a campground.  I'm at a loss.  The ones we've tried have been ... not so great.  

Have a wonderful time!

Well... this campground is on Ft Desoto in Pinellas County (St Petersburg) FL.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

If one wants to get the best spots, you have to reserve 6 months in advance at midnight the day reservations open (at least for the winter season) - or get lucky with a cancellation, but other spots are available most weekdays - not necessarily weekends.  They have a two week limit every 30 days.  There are different sites - w/wo pets, campers, etc.  Our area has a small beach (1/4 mile or so) that I walk in the mornings, but we also take a short drive to the park's better beaches and got 3 miles in this morning on a beach with no development (aside from a pier, small snack shop, and restrooms).  There were four others out there with us at the time - perfect for our wishes!  Weekends will be busier, of course.

But our Favorite Campgrounds list includes places not all would put on their list as "views" and "location" count more for us than amenities.  They may or may not be good for kids - our kids loved them all, but our kids were brought up out in nature.

Due to our travels we also don't get to all of these often - some we've only been to once, so if they've changed between then and now... who knows?

We love:

Dry Tortugas NP - totally primitive - need to take a boat to get there and bring in EVERYTHING plus put up with composting toilets and the noise from the Fort's generator... but we loved it!  No cell service - just a small island and fort with snorkeling and family time from sunup to sundown.  We had awesome memories here cut off from the world.

Jenny Lake (Grand Tetons) - we love the mountain view spots - absolutely gorgeous.

Chaco Canyon NP - in NM - LOVE this place - so out in the middle of nowhere, but one can have ancient (for North America) dwellings right next to you and the stars - wow - the stars in the desert with no major light source around.  Even my youngest just sat outside awed.

Norris Campground (Yellowstone) - less "noisy" than many of its reservable cousins with all the amenities.

Lava Beds NP (CA) - pretty "out there" again and with awesome Lava Tubes to explore.

Wellesley Island SP (NY) - gorgeous setting in the Thousand Island region of the St Lawrence river - deep blue river all around and decent privacy too.  We were right on the water literally feet away from the Canadian border - since the border runs through the river.  Nice hikes.

Bahia Honda - in FL Keys - another one you have to reserve EARLY to get spots at.

Lisbon Beach - St Lawrence County, NY - not "private" at all like many we love and better for campers than tents, but the setting right on the river is gorgeous.  FWIW, Canada has quite a few along the river too, so those could replace this one pending which side of the border one is on.

Yosemite Valley - super crowded, so sort of shouldn't make the list - but the beauty of the valley and being "right there" makes it worth it.

On a different day I might have switched a few out as I'm coming up with this on the spot, but the top 6 or 7 (including DeSoto) would stay on the list.  Our whole family has fond memories and if in the area again, we'd seek them out.

• Like 3

Other things: stores and their return policies, dealing with teenagers, certain symptoms and what health conditions they might indicate. The list goes on.......

I definitely think of other threads too - shopping, working with teens in school, driving by various colleges on trips, etc.  This forum has taught me a lot about my "neighbors!"

Fun!  I can't wait to delve into your list!

Just skimming - I did see Chaco made your list.  Oh, how I love Chaco.  Big puffy heart love Chaco.  That area is where I did my field work (archaeology) so my connection there is deep, deep.  I miss it on an almost physical level.  

• Like 1

Fun!  I can't wait to delve into your list!

Just skimming - I did see Chaco made your list.  Oh, how I love Chaco.  Big puffy heart love Chaco.  That area is where I did my field work (archaeology) so my connection there is deep, deep.  I miss it on an almost physical level.  

We named a pony after Chaco the year we did our "National Park" theme for names (each year gets a theme).  Fortunately, C's Chaco Canyon has been doing pretty well out there showing, so he's doing right for his namesake!  ;)

I can understand missing the place.  It often comes up as one place we'd love to return to, but so far haven't.  It's a bit of a trip for us compared to other areas.

Yeah. I sound like my mother. Except she used to have been "reading about that in Readers Digest" instead of this forum. :p

In conversation I can relay info from here - and Reader's Digest - the best of both worlds!  ;)

Funny, my mom named her cat Chaco, after I took her out there, when she came to visit one year. :)

I spent many happy months at Chaco, and went at least once per year for ten years or so.

If you get out that way again, I can share some similar places. Some of my favorites need a tribal member, but there are quite a few that aren't on a rez, and similar to the feel of Chaco on a smaller scale. Chaco is exceptional, and very special.

I'm really excited about checking out your list - looking for East Coast camping now. It's a different beast. :)

• Like 1

Funny, my mom named her cat Chaco, after I took her out there, when she came to visit one year. :)

I spent many happy months at Chaco, and went at least once per year for ten years or so.

If you get out that way again, I can share some similar places. Some of my favorites need a tribal member, but there are quite a few that aren't on a rez, and similar to the feel of Chaco on a smaller scale. Chaco is exceptional, and very special.

I'm really excited about checking out your list - looking for East Coast camping now. It's a different beast. :)

In general, state parks tend to be very good.  PA has tons.  NY too.  We've been to some in MD and VA, but then (further south) have hit more in FL.  I can't think of any we've been to in GA, NC, or SC.  I could be forgetting...  We've camped in VT a little, but not the rest of New England (unless I'm forgetting something).  We lived in RI for a little bit, but that was before our camping days.

If heading into Canada, ON, QC, and the Maritimes have some nice ones, but it's been over 10 years since we've been to the Maritimes (time flies!) so I don't know if things have changed or not.

We haven't been to Western Canada (yet).  When we've been out west we've had my nephew with us and couldn't cross the border, but you're looking at Eastern anyway, so...

We love National Park camping, but have to admit, many State Park campgrounds are better run.  In general, the fewer amenities the more folks there prefer quiet and nature.  The more amenities the noisier it tends to be.  Not allowing alcohol can also keep things quieter - esp at night.  And weekends are noisier than during the week.  I think that applies pretty much anywhere.

Some folks love KOAs.  We do not - just for a reference in preferences - not as a judgment call.  We like view, quiet, and space (considering it's a campground and knowing one will have neighbors).  Not having a pool is a plus for us!

• Like 1