Menu

Tell me all you know/like/dislike about Mystery of History

JudoMom

I'm thinking of going to Mystery of History when we finish Story of the World (next fall).

Does anyone know when the final books will be released?

Have you used it? Do you like it? Does it require a lot of teacher prep or gathering of resources?

When we start my older guys would be in 5th and 4th for their second rotation of the cycle. I would also have a 2nd and Ker--would they be able to sit in at all (I haven't really considered what to do with them next fall--I might just do SOTW with them)?

I've poked around the website a bit, but would really like to hear how it's worked in real homeschools.

TIA :D.

I bought a copy used this year to compare with SOTW to see if I would like it. This is what I noticed. (Disclaimer: I have not actually used this product.) It seems more thorough than SOTW because it adds Biblical history. To me, though, the stories are not as engaging. They are fairly short. With that in mind, it would make a pretty good spine for your 5th grader. But, I don't know if I would use it as a stand alone program. I would add plenty of extra books. The book uses a timeline pretty heavily. You will work on this every week. It is similar to SOTW if you use the activity guide. There will be a suggested activity every week. But you could just read the story, mark the timeline and read some related books. The real plus to this curriculum is the integrated Bible history.

I have no idea when the remaining books will be published. Because its strength is Bible/church history, I would not hesitate to use the first 2 books and then move on to something else for the last 2 cycles.

I hope you get some better responses. I hope I helped a little.

Paula

I bought a copy used this year to compare with SOTW to see if I would like it. This is what I noticed. (Disclaimer: I have not actually used this product.) It seems more thorough than SOTW because it adds Biblical history. To me, though, the stories are not as engaging. They are fairly short. With that in mind, it would make a pretty good spine for your 5th grader. But, I don't know if I would use it as a stand alone program. I would add plenty of extra books. The book uses a timeline pretty heavily. You will work on this every week. It is similar to SOTW if you use the activity guide. There will be a suggested activity every week. But you could just read the story, mark the timeline and read some related books. The real plus to this curriculum is the integrated Bible history.

I have no idea when the remaining books will be published. Because its strength is Bible/church history, I would not hesitate to use the first 2 books and then move on to something else for the last 2 cycles.

I hope you get some better responses. I hope I helped a little.

Paula

You did--thanks :001_smile:.

Actually the plan is for 5 books total. The third just came out and she says about 2 years per book. Each book has definately increased in depth. We are doing the third book and finding it quite deep. I think your kids would be a perfect age for the first book. I also think you will want to plan on doing all the mapping, timelines, and quiz work. We found them perfect for cementing the facts. She also has activities for the different levels. They look great but we haven't done them because I'm combining with Sonlight and it was just too much. These activities include hands on and research type projects. You will have to photocopy the maps and quizzes for the first two books, the third one came out with a separate CD or book with maps and activities. The mapping is really straight forward. All you need is a good historical and modern atlas. She has links for some on the web. She has some book and movies suggestions to round it out but I really loved combining with Sonlight books.

I looked back at your other questions. As far as teacher prep it could be just photocopying maps and quizzes or it could include bringing in extra books, but that would be all. I have my youngest sitting in. She started in 1st grade. SOTW would be much more her level but I didn't want to do both. We borrowed the SOTW CD's and she listened to those. If you have time it would be great to do both and if you ask around you can find the two programs lined up. I know a bunch on Sonlight have done that.

Ask any more questions. I have really enjoyed Mystery of History. The only negative may possibly be that it isn't quite as engaging as SOTW.

I am doing Vol 1 now with both my children. I have liked that it is chronological including both world and biblical history. The lessons are a little short for my 6th dd, but have been great for my K son. The age difference is why I chose this. I wanted something they could do together. We do not do the timeline or memory cards. I found that the lessons are difficult to summarize on just one card. I am not crazy about the wording she uses. She adds in her own commentary. I prefer for us to add in our own thoughts.

In order to enrich it for my dd, I am having her read BJU's 6th grade social studies text, which is a study of ancient civilizations. I'm also having her read lots of historical fiction from the time periods, as well as the biblical references. We have done several of the suggested activities, but not all. My best friend is doing the same book and we're getting together 1-2 times a month for special activities (field trips, movies, an ancient Egypt day, etc.).

I will not be using it next year, because of not knowing when the others will be published. With my dd only having 2 years of middle school after this volume, I'm not sure what she'll need for high school. I'm going to go back to Bob Jones for World History in 7th and American History in 8th.

We are using MOH1 this year. MOH 3 just came out this year and there was some talk about the author writing 4 books total, instead of 5.

I like having the biblical history integrated. We are simply reading the stories, discussing them, and then doing a notebook timeline. We are picking up extra books in our outside reading. My ds is not really an activity guy, but we talk about the stories. We are only on week 8 so many of the stories are familiar to him from the bible.

I do like the layout of the book, it is consistent from week to week and very easy to utilize for the teacher.

I tried MOH vol1 three years ago with a first grader. It was only a month or so before I was looking for something else because we were dying. (That was when I first found Ambleside Online). Anyway, most of it was too testbook-y for a first grader (too much writing, review cards, etc., etc.). I loved the integration of Biblical and secular history, but I did not enjoy the writing style. There were so many "awesomes" I wondered if it was written for middle schoolers who just wanted to get history done in a quick and easy way without a lot of reading. I wanted something more literary. My other complaint was that after Israel split into Northern and Southern kingdoms, it seemed like she focused on prophets rather than kings. At the time, I felt my first grader would relate more to kings and the choices they were making than to prophets. I ended up using Greenleaf's Guide to the O.T. to guide us through the rest of OT history. After that I followed AO's lit. and history suggestions for awhile.

I don't know anything about the other volumes - I know some people say they have more depth. I really wanted to like it for its emphasis on Biblical history, but I just couldn't stand reading it out loud. (Sorry!)

... It was only a month or so before I was looking for something else because we were dying. ..

........I loved the integration of Biblical and secular history, but I did not enjoy the writing style. There were so many "awesomes" I wondered if it was written for middle schoolers who just wanted to get history done in a quick and easy way without a lot of reading. I wanted something more literary....

.... I really wanted to like it for its emphasis on Biblical history, but I just couldn't stand reading it out loud. (Sorry!)

:iagree: I really wanted something mapped out chronologically, integrating biblical and world history. I thought it would be perfect.

Right from the beginning the writing style turned me off.

The info was too brief for me even if you are supposed to read outside books.

She makes some statements about ice ages, etc. that I don't necessarily agree with but you may differ.

I, too, did not enjoy reading aloud. I admire the author's efforts and hope others find it useful.

BTW I had vol. 1

I use it with Truthquest and I do add tons of books and movies into it.

To make it more amped for middle school we watch lectures from Annenberg Media on line and some Teaching Co.

I use the Gueber/Miller books as spines with MOH as well.

I love that it is easy to implement and doable and that my dd can do it independently.

We are in volume 3.

I do know that the author intends, now, to only have 4 volumes and not 5 and I am thrilled about that.

A week here (this week actually) looks like this:

Monday:

pp 20-23 of Masters of Art

Story of the Renaissance and Reformation pgs 79-82

Landmark: Leonardo Da Vinci (book of the week)

Netflix on Demand: History of Christianity program 3

pre-test

Tuesday:

Truthquest topic 14E

pg 28-31 Masters of Art

Lesson 13 Michaelangelo

Landmark: Leonardo Da Vinci

Story of the Renaissance and Reformation pgs 82-87

Wed:

TQ 14

pgs 36-39 Masters of Art

Lesson 14 Artists

Story of the Renaissance and Reformation pgs 87-94

Thursday:

TQ 20

pgs 40-43 Masters of Art

Lesson 15 Erasmus

Story of the Renaissance and Reformation pgs 95-100

Friday:

finish Landmark: Leonardo Da Vinci

notebook timeline and mapwork

What did you learn quiz.

family movie The Agony and the Ecstasy

I've never used Volume 1 or 2, but I've looked them over and read parts of them thoroughly for work. I really like them and I think that if you're looking for a pick-up-and-go history program that integrates multiple ages and doesn't require a lot of extra buying then this is the program for you.

I was bothered somewhat by the writing style as it seemed a little too friendly for my tastes.

But, then I saw volume 3 and I had to have it. It is so beautiful - hardcover, thick, glossy pages, great photographs and maps. It's a work of art. Plus, I think the writing style is better. I'm hoping it's not just the pretty pictures distracting me, but I really am enjoying reading this one more. I just did the chapters on Martin Luther with my kids yesterday and they were fantastic - lots of depth and lots of information.

I plan on using MOH instead of TOG year 3 but I'm going to combine it with a bunch of Canadian resources and some of my own things.