Menu

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Just Kate

Dd has requested broccoli cheese soup for dinner this week. Do you have a favorite recipe? I would prefer cheddar cheese (or whatever) over velveeta.

Also, I do have an Instant Pot, but I haven't used it yet. If a soup like this would be a great first recipe, please let me know. Thanks!!

We are having broccoli cheese soup this week!

I use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235874/copycat-panera-broccoli-cheddar-soup/

But to be fair, I'm horrible at following recipes. I'll likely add more broccoli, onion, and carrots than it calls for.

I also pulse it with the blender to make it smooth.

We are having broccoli cheese soup this week!

I use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235874/copycat-panera-broccoli-cheddar-soup/

But to be fair, I'm horrible at following recipes. I'll likely add more broccoli, onion, and carrots than it calls for.

I also pulse it with the blender to make it smooth.

This is the same recipe we use, though I add a tiny pinch of nutmeg. I sometimes use fresh broccoli and chop it all beforehand, but lately I've been using my Instant Pot and steaming florets, then chopping them and adding them. It makes finishing the soup faster, and it's less messy than chopping fresh broccoli. I can also easily use frozen broccoli that way too. I use skim or 2% milk and it's always delish. It's a family favorite here. And I too bump up the vegetable proportions and it never hurts the soup at all. 

Now I want this for dinner!

Interesting! That one has no roux or thickener. Is it thick like the Panera soup? That's the main thing that's prevented me from trying an IP-based recipe--we love our current recipe so much and it's so thick and creamy, I'm afraid to mess with it for fear of mutiny!

We love broccoli soup. So simple and nourishing; it's a go to fast dinner around here.

6-8 cups water

1.5 veggie bouillon cubes

3 heads broccoli

3 or so smallish yellow potatoes

1onion

Black pepper

Simmer until broccoli and potatoes are soft. Purée with immersion blender. Add 1/4-1/2 2% milk or whatever you use. Stir in 1/2 cup grated white cheddar. Or, skip the cheese and save the calories. I forgot to add it recently and none of us could even tell, so now I don't bother. :)

• Like 1

Interesting! That one has no roux or thickener. Is it thick like the Panera soup? That's the main thing that's prevented me from trying an IP-based recipe--we love our current recipe so much and it's so thick and creamy, I'm afraid to mess with it for fear of mutiny!

Ack! Posted the wrong link!!!!!!

THIS is the one I love!

http://cincyshopper.com/copycat-panera-broccoli-cheddar-soup-recipe/

And yes, it is VERY thick and creamy. 

Edited by ktgrok

Ack! Posted the wrong link!!!!!!

THIS is the one I love!

http://cincyshopper.com/copycat-panera-broccoli-cheddar-soup-recipe/

And yes, it is VERY thick and creamy. 

:lol: That's the same stovetop recipe I use! Yeah, it's a winner. I'd love to find an IP recipe that's as good, but that would involve experimenting, and when I want this soup, I WANT it :lol: So I keep trying to find ways to cut down the time investment on the original. If I make a kid grate the cheese and use the IP for the broccoli, it moves along pretty quickly. I just need to find some quicker way to matchstick those carrots (which we love, so I can't skip them). That takes me nearly as much time as the rest of the meal!

Thanks for replying :D