Menu

what not to miss in Charlottesville, VA?

JennyD

We are joining DH for a business trip to Charlottesville later this month.  We are driving so will have a car and will be staying for a few days in a rental near the university.  I have been there several times before but not for years and well before kids.  Any suggestions on what not to miss?  Monticello is obviously top on the list and I've already checked out a bunch of books from the library on Thomas Jefferson.  Other recommendations?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Monticello

Montpelier is nearby in Orange, VA  (James Madison's house)

We loved the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton, VA ( about an hour away)

Walking around near the campus is fun...the Rotunda and the lawn. Near the campus are lots of cute restaurants and places to get UVA swag. There are a lot of used bookstores near campus, Heartwood Books is a favorite on Elliewood St. The downtown mall is also cute with lots of stores and little restaurants. 

You must eat at Bodo's bagels. The Market at Bellair used to also be excellent, it has delicious gourment sandwiches but is in in an Exxon station. It's west of the main downtown area. 

If you like to hike, it isn't far to the Blue Ridge where you can go on short hikes or just drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. Humpback Rocks is a great hike, but might be challenging for a 6 year old.https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/humpback-rocks-trails.htm

Green Valley Book Fair is also not fair away and has an amazing amount of books. It's not always open though so you have to check the dates. http://gobookfair.com

• Like 1

I live in Charlottesville :). I love love love it here!

Monticello

UVA/the Lawn

Downtown (it's adorable and lovely to walk and there are so many good restaurants)

Bodos bagels

There are tons of really fantastic wineries and craft breweries in and around Charlottesville. Do you like wine or beer? Pippin Hill is my favorite winery. I love Bold Rock (hard cider) and Blue Mountain Brewery.

What are your favorite types of food? There are TONS of amazing local restaurants.

There are some great hikes nearby - Humpback is close, Crabtree falls is further but I love it :)

• Like 1

Thank you all so much!  We love to hike so if the weather is good we will definitely do that, maybe on the Sunday we are there so DH can join us.   

Thrilled to see about the bagel place -- that is going on the list for sure  Any suggestions for a good Chinese restaurant that doesn't use MSG?  The Chinese food options here are pretty dismal so it would be a real treat to go out for that.