Menu

Poor kitty - caution, sad and rather graphic

So tonight I'm on my way home from the office and I'm almost home. I turn onto the road and I see a small animal sitting on the double line dividing the road. It's a kitty, hunkered down in "chicken pose." I call out to encourage it to move - no movement. Not good. So I stopped my car, put on my hazards and got out of my car. I approach the cat, afraid of what I will find. He's alive and appears fine until I hear his breathing - short and shallow - and notice he's bleeding from his nose (again not good).

What could I do? I couldn't leave him there to bleed out or freeze. So I carefully picked him up and walked to the nearest house to call my husband (my cell was dead) who brought one of our kitty carriers and I brought the poor baby to the closest vet who, luckily, was open.

Not sure if kitty will make it as the vet says he has a head injury but at the very least he'll pass in less pain and out of the elements. He's probably only about six months old given his size.

I feel horrible. I love animals especially kitties. I hope the poor guy makes it, recovers, and is reunited with his family. As he was in otherwise healthy condition he has to be someone's pet. :crying:

Giving our kitties extra love tonight that's for sure. Glad our guys are inside only.

Just had to vent as this really shook me up. Funny/sad at least 8 cars drove by as I was waiting with him - not one stopped. Not one.

I wish that there were more people in this world like you...we just adopted a dog that "found" us. He had been beaten and his teeth were down to nubs from trying to chew out of something.

Why, oh why do people neglect or ignore animals?

Thanks for taking the time to stop and care.

That is wonderful!!! Such a kind, caring thing to do. I'm a kitty lover too, and I can just picture that poor little kitty sitting there in the chicken pose in the middle of the road.... :crying: I am so glad you took him in to the vet. I don't usually pray for animals, lol, but I am going to pray that this kitten will recover, to give the best possible ending to your kind act. Even if he does pass away, though, you will know you did above and beyond what most people would do, and that his last moments were as peaceful as possible.

If he does survive, please post an update. (I'm not sure I want to know if he doesn't make it! :crying:)

Erica

I'm disappointed the vet didn't call me to give me an update but I suspect he's being observed to see what the best next step would be. I'll call tomorrow and see how he's doing although I don't expect the best outcome.....and we really can't take in another cat....

So sad. My poor DH got the job of cleaning up my coat and the kitty carrier. I was emotionally spent at that point and need to smother our kitties with love.

At least, as you say, he didn't pass on a cold, windy, rainy night scared and alone on the road as he surely would have had I left him (which was never an option in my book).

I'll post an update when I know. Thanks for caring along with me. :001_smile:

So tonight I'm on my way home from the office and I'm almost home. I turn onto the road and I see a small animal sitting on the double line dividing the road. It's a kitty, hunkered down in "chicken pose." I call out to encourage it to move - no movement. Not good. So I stopped my car, put on my hazards and got out of my car. I approach the cat, afraid of what I will find. He's alive and appears fine until I hear his breathing - short and shallow - and notice he's bleeding from his nose (again not good).

What could I do? I couldn't leave him there to bleed out or freeze. So I carefully picked him up and walked to the nearest house to call my husband (my cell was dead) who brought one of our kitty carriers and I brought the poor baby to the closest vet who, luckily, was open.

Not sure if kitty will make it as the vet says he has a head injury but at the very least he'll pass in less pain and out of the elements. He's probably only about six months old given his size.

I feel horrible. I love animals especially kitties. I hope the poor guy makes it, recovers, and is reunited with his family. As he was in otherwise healthy condition he has to be someone's pet. :crying:

Giving our kitties extra love tonight that's for sure. Glad our guys are inside only.

Just had to vent as this really shook me up. Funny/sad at least 8 cars drove by as I was waiting with him - not one stopped. Not one.

You're just like one of my sisters...she always rescues kittens and cats. I hope he makes it, too!

I had to do this once also. It is traumatic. Our elderly female neighbor across the street had just lost her husband a few months prior and then one night we heard a car hit her cat in front of our house. We went out and the kitty was just like the one you found, hunkered down, not responsive, head injury. We took kitty to the emergency vet (it was the middle of the night) and he was nursed back to health. We told the neighbor where to go get him and we made sure to pay the vet bill beforehand. She was very pleased. Kitties are resilient. I can't imagine being hit by a car in the head and being ok in a week or so! I hope the kitty you helped will have good luck recovering as well.

I had to do this once also. It is traumatic. Our elderly female neighbor across the street had just lost her husband a few months prior and then one night we heard a car hit her cat in front of our house. We went out and the kitty was just like the one you found, hunkered down, not responsive, head injury. We took kitty to the emergency vet (it was the middle of the night) and he was nursed back to health. We told the neighbor where to go get him and we made sure to pay the vet bill beforehand. She was very pleased. Kitties are resilient. I can't imagine being hit by a car in the head and being ok in a week or so! I hope the kitty you helped will have good luck recovering as well.

That gives me hope. I really want this guy to pull through.

No luck finding the owners. We did find someone who knows the cat, says he's been hanging around outside with her cats off and on for a month or so but no idea who he belongs to. He's been neutered so he's definitely someone's kitty. The people we spoke with promised to do their part to get the word out.

The vet did not have time to work on him today. :( Disappointing. But kitty is sedated, safe and warm. Hopefully tomorrow we'll have some news.

Vet just called. Kitty has some skull fractures and a broken jaw and is NOT neutered. Vet believes that he is feral as he has not been a very nice patient (boggles my mind, I don't think I'd be peachy with a broken jaw and skull fractures either).

I needed another bill like a hole in the head but with the option being:

1) put kitty that vet believes could fully recover down

2) take financial responsibility for his injuries and 10 day recovery and try to find him a safe place to live

well we chose 2. Such suckers we are.

2) take financial responsibility for his injuries and 10 day recovery and try to find him a safe place to live

YOUR HOUSE is not an option? :D Goodness, don't get me wrong. We would be looking for a home for him as well because we can't take in any more critters. But, I was just wondrin'....

You have done a great thing. Really you have, even though I know it's easy to second guess it. For the record, our first two cats were feral. We did adopt them at a VERY young age (like 7 weeks!), but they came from a feral mother, who lived in a feral colony. They turned out to be fine pets. Right now, my husband's shop cat is one some friends spent a solid year coaxing to them. He would NOT get near a human. It took an amazing amount of patience and love, but finally, he allowed himself to be stroked. Now, he lives at my husband's place of business, and I have never met a more affectionate cat. It can happen!

Bless you!

Awww. Not suckers. It's called doing the right thing. :001_smile:

Like I said earlier, you're racking up good kitty karma points.

Hoping he continues to do well & that you guys find him a happy ending to his story.

YOUR HOUSE is not an option? :D Goodness, don't get me wrong. We would be looking for a home for him as well because we can't take in any more critters. But, I was just wondrin'....

You have done a great thing. Really you have, even though I know it's easy to second guess it. For the record, our first two cats were feral. We did adopt them at a VERY young age (like 7 weeks!), but they came from a feral mother, who lived in a feral colony. They turned out to be fine pets. Right now, my husband's shop cat is one some friends spent a solid year coaxing to them. He would NOT get near a human. It took an amazing amount of patience and love, but finally, he allowed himself to be stroked. Now, he lives at my husband's place of business, and I have never met a more affectionate cat. It can happen!

Bless you!

It's a possibility and we had thought about it but it's an outside chance as we have three indoor-only cats already (that some times get along, some times not). He'd have to be tested to insure he has no infectious diseases that would infect our furr children.

More likely is that he will be returned to his turf. We found that he's been hanging out with a neighbor, Laura, and her cats for a month or so now. He's not 'hers' but he gets along with her cats and obviously considers that his territory. I just hope the bugger has learned to stay the hey away from the road!!

It's all very sketchy now as he has to recover at the vet's but it seems, when recovered, Laura will take him to join her outdoor/barn clan.

Awww. Not suckers. It's called doing the right thing. :001_smile:

Like I said earlier, you're racking up good kitty karma points.

Hoping he continues to do well & that you guys find him a happy ending to his story.

Thanks! I know it's the right thing. No regrets. :)

Edited by homeschoolmom

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you wondering....

I saw kitty today. He's looking so much better. He ate on his own today - no tube or force feeding. He has a way to go before he is completely healed but he's doing remarkably well. The vet expects to release him on Friday but we're taking a wait-and-see approach.

Poor little guy is guestimated to be about 5 months old. Hopefully his youth will only help him in his recovery.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.