Menu

Hormone Replacement Therapy

Azalea

Hi Ladies, does anyone know what the current thinking is on HRT? I'm 52 and my periods are very irregular. The symptom I am having that is causing discomfort is hot flashes. I know many experience this worse than I have and I probably shouldn't complain, but it's uncomfortable. I'm too hot, then too cold, suddenly bathed in sweat, etc. Do you use HRT? Am I crazy not to try it? What do you think?

My understanding is that the study that made everyone afraid of HRT was flawed in that they had taken women who had been through menopause years prior (some of them as many as 15 years), and put them on HRT.  Not all that surprisingly, that doesn't work out so well.  If your body has already adjusted to the change in hormone levels, you can't really change it back.  But for women who go on HRT during perimenopause, I believe the general consensus is that it works quite well and is safe.

Edited by Greta
  • Like 3

I did use HRT during perimenopause but not now that I'm post menopausal.  It was not a decision I made lightly.  I tried everything else I could before taking that step.  The only advice I could offer would be to educate yourself very well.  Talk with your provider.  Find out if there are any other options to try first.  What type of HRT will the provider want to use?  How often will he/she do labs?  What delivery method will be used?  Will you supplement with all 3 hormones or just 2?  What is the plan to start and what is the plan to wean off? 

Educate, educate, educate. 

• Like 2

My concern for me (aside from cancer issues in my family) is I wonder if the side effects are similar to BCP which I could never tolerate taking.  I'm very close to making an appointment because I've got some symptoms that are pretty nasty.  I would prefer to try something else first because I suspect I may have side effects.  But it's also a balance of do I want to grin and bear it and be all stoic (and why do I), or do I want to not have crappy issues that make me feel downright miserable at times (despite any risk)?  I go back and forth with it.  Doctors strike me as pretty quick to prescribe pills.  But maybe that is all they have to offer. 

But yeah lots of people take these things without issues.  I imagine similar risks apply with BCP...stuff like it's not good to take it if you smoke (so they say).  Etc...

• Like 1

My concern for me (aside from cancer issues in my family) is I wonder if the side effects are similar to BCP which I could never tolerate taking.  I'm very close to making an appointment because I've got some symptoms that are pretty nasty.  I would prefer to try something else first because I suspect I may have side effects.  But it's also a balance of do I want to grin and bear it and be all stoic (and why do I), or do I want to not have crappy issues that make me feel downright miserable at times (despite any risk)?  I go back and forth with it.  Doctors strike me as pretty quick to prescribe pills.  But maybe that is all they have to offer. 

But yeah lots of people take these things without issues.  I imagine similar risks apply with BCP...stuff like it's not good to take it if you smoke (so they say).  Etc...

There are several things that are OTC and some people have experienced relief. Some are Evening Primrose Oil, Maca and Black Cohosh to mention a few. The list goes on. However, if you find nothing really relieves the most bothersome symptoms, I'd look into BHRT.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

There are several things that are OTC and some people have experienced relief. Some are Evening Primrose Oil, Maca and Black Cohosh to mention a few. The list goes on. However, if you find nothing really relieves the most bothersome symptoms, I'd look into BHRT.

I think my issues are more complicated than those things would help with.  I don't have stuff like hot flashes.  But then I am also doubtful that these things work.  I suppose I shouldn't crap on it, but I kinda just have my doubts. 

Ugh..I should just go and ask.  I can always say no.  At least I'd know the options.

• Like 1

bioidentical here b/c of extreme stress, my progesterone level went to zero and stayed there.  It took a while to get the levels right but now that debilitating general anxiety disorder I had disappeared w/ the bio progesterone.  It's SUCH a relief.  But I would suggest using a knowledgeable dr for sure.  My sister picked up the yam creams and other OTC stuff and used it for a couple years and in the end it made things much worse for her.  The dr will keep tabs through blood tests and make sure things are right instead of self medicating.  Not that you were thinking of doing that, but just sharing... 

• Like 1