Menu

12 th grade! Planning thread

I can't believe I'm planning 12th grade!

Anyone else?

Ds will mostly be doing DE. Not very exciting planning though.

We pay full pay for DE classes, which is a bummer. But it is what it is. He's ready, this year's classes going great there.

Right now, it's looking like:

DE French both semesters

DE Chemistry both semesters

DE English Comp (maybe over the summer)

Pre Calc with Derek Owens

DE more computer science, switching to local 4 year from CC

He's already completed his history requirements for high school, but may knock out another DE social science or history gen Ed too.

And, college applications in the fall :). And lots of Robotics.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 4

This one I have finished!

Holt Civics in Practice (government & economics in one book)

Dual enrolled at a good CC for math and whatever else she wants.

As much work and volunteer opportunities as she can squeeze in there.

That's it. Poof. Done. How'd that happen exactly??? She was still playing with dolls last week, I'm certain...

• Like 4

My ds only needs government/econ to graduate so lots of flexibility here :)

He will be fully de at local university. It is a great deal financially and we are so over homeschooling!

I think he can handle four courses each semester so in addition to the government and economics classes he can choose six more. He is planning a business degree from a state university that lists transfer equivalents on its website so that is helpful and he can start knocking out requirements. I think I will require public speaking because he struggles with that and stats because I don't want him to take a whole year off of math.

Other than that I will put out the options for him and let him choose. He has earned it. He was so difficult to homeschool and has really pulled it together the last two years and excelled at de and holding a job. I am ready to let him choose most of his own path for senior year.

Just a couple years ago I couldn't imagine that he would be college bound at all and here we are.

• Like 5

Planning 12th-grade for the 2nd and last time! My students are so different that experience is not proving that helpful. 

History will be Renaissance through Enlightenment, with The Humanistic Tradition. English will be eclectic with corresponding literature. 

We might do Forensic Science, or we might do a second geology course if she continues enjoying that. 

French continuing via dual enrollment. 

If she likes the drawing class, she will continue that series via dual enrollment. 

She will be done with composition at university, and probably won't take an English or history class there unless one really strikes her fancy and fits in with the rest of her schedule. 

I'm completely torn on math. The lower math sections at the university aren't great, I think she would learn more at home even if we used ALEKS as our base, but college algebra or pre-calc could potentially be accepted as credit for a lot of her potential majors. On the other hand, she really has no idea what she wants to do, so I should keep the math door open and interesting for as long as I can. I mean, her sister had her math turn around as a junior and is now planning a math minor, maybe her math awakening is just a year behind, lol. 

She scored a 25 on the ACT math section (practice) about a month into Algebra 2, with no prep, so she doesn't have deep struggles with it, she just doesn't like it. The Holt lessons were taking her forever, so I have moved her to ALEKS for a while just to cover some ground in advance of the ACT. She is moving much more quickly through that, and it gets done everyday. 

I might try her on AoPS Number Theory and/or Counting & Probability, as she does like to problem solve, and mix in some algebra review along the way. Any other ideas? 

• Like 1

This is a rough plan and may change at any moment. I am trying to be flexible, sensitive to what my son would like, yet rigorous enough and figure out a good balance btwn outsourced and home classes. Outsourced has worked well, but his sister needs to start a foreign language and I'd love to have a cheaper year.  The idea of Community College dances in my head, but where I am it's not cheaper than online and you have the travel aspect.

So, anyway, this second it looks like:

Statistics: maybe Life of Fred

English: probably Pa. homeschoolers AP English Lit but could do DE for this one; possible Sonlight

Astronomy without a lab: not sure of the resources yet

AP Psychology--probably Sonlight

History: TOG year 3

Personal Finance: Dave Ramsey

Government:  no idea; can't decide if AP or doing it light with the iCivics website and Am. Gov't for Dummies

PE: daily exercise

Possible a 1/2 credit art class

Extra curriculars: Youth group, climbing, Boy Scouts, NYLT staff

Wishing DE were an affordable option!

My last year with 5 homeschooling. I start breathing a bit easier after this one.

Calculus BC

AP Physics C

AP English Lit

AP Italian (possibly just Italian 4, but he should be finished with Italian 4 by August).

Robotics 3

AP US Government

AP Art History

Photography (may submit for AP 2d Art)

• Like 1

I'll have a 12th grader. I'm not doing any planning for her though. She's a full time DE student and her advisor will help her choose the remaining classes necessary for her AA degree in theater. All of her extra-curriculars are either clubs at the college or through the local theaters. She is planning to submit a couple of college applications and find a job this summer.

• Like 1

Our final year, NZ Year 13, looks so different from a US year 12  :huh: ...it works for us here though,so I guess that is all that counts.

DS wants to do non-University lead studies after this year, so that changed a few of his subject options around.

Bible:  New Testament Studies

English: Research papers being completed inside Business Studies, &, Philosophy  

Literature (Allsorts)

Math: Nil.  all done  :hurray:

Business Studies:  (for NZ-ers,  these NCEA standards are being completed through Te Kura)

Accounting

Business Studies 2 & 3   in succession

Digital Technologies 2 & 3    in succession  

Electives:

Leadership and Character Course

Philosophy

Visual Latin (complete) 

Driving Course

Drums

Delight Led: 

other business related studies

lots of interest led work and life experiences   (including cooking - he loves it)

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am also planning 12th grade for the last time. I am not sure yet how I feel about it!

To "finish" in NY he still needs:

Government 1semester

Economics 1 semester

Art/Music 1 semester

English  1 full year

Then I want him to do these:

Pre-Calculus 1 full year

Chemistry 1 full year

Spanish 2/3 - 1 semester or 1 year, not sure yet

And he has requested:

Business Math 1 semester or one year, not sure yet

I want to increase the amount of classes we outsource but I am not sure where to put my money!!!

Precalc he will take with myhomeschoolmathclass, using Lial's. He's pleased with this one as he is doing well with Alg 2 with them.

Everything else is up in the air! If I spend as much as I would like to on Spanish and chemistry, there will be little left for everything else. I want him to write more for others, which means outsourcing parts of English. I really liked the WTMA Govt/Eco class but the schedule was just posted...and the time conflicts with his math class, which would take precedence. First I need to set my priorities, and I am having a hard some doing that!!

Funny - I have done this three times before but each child is so different that what I did with one is rarely helpful with another!

Wow! It didn't even register with me that this thread applied to me. It's hard to believe I will have a 12th grader next year. It seems like just a short while ago that we were doing Hooked on Phonics and Rod & Staff Math.

Ds is is going to do DE for:

English Comp - 2 semesters

Calculus

Spanish

And local coop classes for:

Physics

US Government

Economics

Finance

We've started college visits and he's getting excited about going, but I think it will be quite a shock to me when that time actually arrives.

• Like 1