Menu

Travel to Thailand

Donna

Does anyone here have tips on travel to Thailand (mostly Bangkok but possibly surrounding area)?

Are extra vaccines necessary?

No tips, but I wish I were going! I have one kid with a lifelong (she's 7.5) fixation on elephants, and I would so love to take that girl to Thailand.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

re elephants

No tips, but I wish I were going! I have one kid with a lifelong (she's 7.5) fixation on elephants, and I would so love to take that girl to Thailand.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

I've long longed to go to the Boon Lott sanctuary.

OP, Thailand is magical, but Bangkok... less so.  It's a sprawling, congested, traffic-snarled choked-with-pollution grew-too-fast developing country city.  The best of the country that we've seen is in the northern end; and I hear (have never been) that the beaches in the south are also lovely.  I'd get a good guidebook out of the library and figure out what kind of experiences you're up for.  Embrace and enjoy the learning and planning; for me that part is 1/3 the fun...

• Like 4

I agree. We lived in Thailand for three years and only went to Bangkok when absolutely necessary. The southern beaches are beautiful (especially if you can get away from the tourist traps), and the northern villages are great. We lived in Chiang Mai and absolutely loved it.

You don't need any extra vaccines.

• Like 2

I was fortunate to visit Thailand about 20 years ago and would love to go back.   I enjoyed Bangkok but Chiang Mai and the surrounding area was fabulous.  We also spent time in Phuket, which was also fabulous.  I would NOT go to Thailand just to visit Bangkok.

Anne

The Thai told me while there that they have 3 seasons...hot, hotter, and hottest. I forget when their rainy season is, but try to schedule going sometime not in the rainy season. I was only at the Bangkok airport, but stayed in the Chaing Mai and northern village areas for 2 months. Beautiful and loved it. The Thai are very hospitable. I liked the Chaing Mai zoo.

Hopefully unneeded advice, but as an aside: If you were to get very sick (hopefully you won't), the main hospital in Chaing Mai is one of the best in that area of the world. Missionaries from my precvious very large church travelled from other Asian countries to that hospital if at all possible when needing medical care beyond simple MD visits. A lady in our group got sick in a rural area of Thailand, got misdiagnosed at a small rural medical facility outside Chaing Mai, and got sicker. We got her to Chaing Mai hospital and she got fabulous care there and was better after a couple days in that hospital. The bill was cheap.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 1

re elephants

I've long longed to go to the Boon Lott sanctuary.

OP, Thailand is magical, but Bangkok... less so.  It's a sprawling, congested, traffic-snarled choked-with-pollution grew-too-fast developing country city.  The best of the country that we've seen is in the northern end; and I hear (have never been) that the beaches in the south are also lovely.  I'd get a good guidebook out of the library and figure out what kind of experiences you're up for.  Embrace and enjoy the learning and planning; for me that part is 1/3 the fun...

Our trip is being sponsored for a specific purpose so a decent amount of time in Bangkok is unavoidable. (I tend to prefer rural to cities, too.)

I am not exactly sure how long we will be able to go as we are still in the planning stages. Hoping to get outside of the city and be able to see some sights.

Thank you all for the tips! I am saving them all as I plan.

• Like 1