Menu

Teaching High School Composition-- Curric. Suggestions

We've really appreciated Bravewriter online classes - as a pp said, expensive but well worth it. Dd has done Kidswrite Intermediate, Expository Essay, Passion for Fiction and Writing the Short Story. She'll be doing the advanced Expository Essay class in the spring.

We liked LIvely Art of Writing with the workbook, as suggested above, as an introduction to essay writing, followed by Writing With a Thesis to expand that all writing is thesis-driven in a sense; it all has a rhetorical purpose. This book takes you through the different types of essays (compare & contrast, descriptive, narrative, persuasive, etc.) and shows how to make them all strong, thesis-driven pieces.  My dd has worked through both of those books in their entirety. She's now working through They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic writing, which guides a student to joining the Great Conversation via their writing - it shows them how to acknowledge and respond to what others have written or said about their topic and connect that to their thesis.  I'd recommend all three, they've been excellent, and each has built on what came before.

• Like 3

The Lively Art of Writing

A solid writing resource. The go-along materials created by WTM board members Still Waters and mjbucks1 are what turn the book (a writing resource) into a curriculum. WTM board member Quark reformatted those go-along materials and uploaded them here:

student workbook (free google doc link)

teacher book (free google doc link)

The Elegant Essay

(1 semester program) Written to the student, with a teacher book. The focus of the program is the parts of an essay, and then writing a descriptive and then a persuasive essay.

The Power in Your Hands

(1 year program) The high school sequel to the middle school program of Jump In. Written to the student and can be done largely by the student (if not a struggling writer). Much more in-depth than The Elegant Essay, but also much more "chatty" in tone. Covers the brainstorming/organizing and proof-editing stages of the process of writing; the parts of the essay; essays of different types (persuasive, descriptive, narrative), plus specific essay types of: process ("how-to"), position, comparison, definition, and literary analysis; and other types of writing, including: note-taking, writing letters and e-mails, newspaper writing, etc.

Jensen's Format Writing

Dry and NOT at all in-depth with instruction or teacher support, BUT it does provide info about some important real-life business types of writing that I've not seen in any other program. I would say that the teaching format would fit for a student who is very sequential/analytical and thinks/works well from traditional formal outlines. I see that there is now a revised edition, and a DVD supplement which is described as having 12 lectures that overview the sections of the book with some teaching and explaining, "...but it is also motivational for the student."

While not a Writing/Composition program, Windows to the World (a 1-semester Literature program) has a unit with one of the clearest step-by-step instructions in how to write a literary analysis essay that I've seen. WttW is by the same author as The Elegant Essay.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I'll be the odd one out and recommend IEW. Get TWSS and whatever else seems to fit your child (ask them at IEW for recommendations). I have been teaching it for a co-op this year and am impressed with the results. Disclaimer - I owned the materials previously, did not go "all in" and the results were less than stellar. It took having the pressure of teaching the class to keep *me* on track to be able to teach the way it was intended to be taught. You might consider getting a friend or two to join your children in learning the method.

• Like 2

Get ... whatever ... seems to fit your child...

Yes -- I really think this is key: get what fits each student. Writing at the high school level is about being able to develop and support an argument, and that comes out of how you think. And different writing programs come at writing from different ways of thinking. :)

Lots of good programs and resources suggested in this thread. Another idea that might fit a more logical/STEM type of thinker is The Lost Tools of Writing.

I suggest looking over all of these suggestions with your students and see what "clicks" for the students. :) BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1