Menu

Panama Canal cruise

Heather in MD

My parents would like to take a Panama Canal cruise in late March/early April.

I don't know anything about cruises, so I thought this would be a good place to ask :)

They don't know how many days/nights, but they would need to leave from Florida.

Any suggestions, helpful hints, etc. would be appreciated!

• Like 1

There are multiple cruise lines that do a Panama Canal itinerary, so they will need to do some research. They can start just by googling and comparing what different cruise lines offer, but once they are ready to book, they might want to use a travel agent. Travel agents can sometimes get extra onboard perks (like upgrading a meal plan or offering onboard spending credit) without additional cost to the traveler.

Unless they plan to do a cruise that only goes partway through the Canal, they will end up on the Pacific coast at the end of the cruise and will need a one-way airline ticket home. This can make the cost of a Panama Canal cruise more expensive than some other options.

• Like 1

If that is their first cruise, IMO, it might be too long...    I know at least one person who went on a "Positioning" cruise, from CA to FL.  She  has worked in the Travel industry for many years and was taking a course during the cruise. She could not wait, for the cruise to be over.   Your parents might enjoy the long  cruise, but they might not...   I would explore that thoroughly.  Or, consider taking the cruise to or from Panama, transiting the Canal, and then flying in the other direction.  I believe there are cruises (from FL?) that come down to our historic city (Cartagena) which is near to Panama and another place they might find interesting.   I have only seen the canal from the air (flying into or out of Panama City on the way to Orlando), but I think it would be interesting to have the experience of transiting the canal.  I hope yhour parents enjoy it!  I have a cousin in CA who has been selling Cruises for probably all of her adult life.  They've been on many cruises. Find a Cruise Travel Agent like that, to guide your parents onto the right ship and get them the best cabin and amenities at the lowest price. 

We went on a 10 day Panama canal cruise, to/from Florida, pre-children, on Princess.  Princess was great but we both wish we'd chosen a different cruise (it was our second cruise, other was a 7 day Caribbean one on Princess).  There were about 3-4 days at sea, which got a bit boring.  There was a lot to do on the ship, but it just wasn't the same as being at a port.  The canal was nice, but Panama itself was...worth missing.  Very third world, by far the worst of any of the 10ish ports we went to between the two cruises.  It was not worth going on that cruise just to go through the canal.

• Like 1

My aunt and uncle have done a number of cruises and the Panama Canal has been their favorite.  They went on one cruise that only went part way through the canal and then the next year booked a cruise that went from California through the canal and then to New Orleans--I think that was about 15 days  They enjoyed the mechanics of the canal system. 

I don't know that you will be able to do the Panama Canal from Florida in less than a 10-day cruise.  I would begin by looking at a general travel site (like travelocity.com) a cruise site (like cruise.com) or a travel site through an airline or credit card you have.  Because you know particular months and location, you can do a search to see what cruises are possible that meet those criteria.  Then you can look at the individual cruise lines (and ships) to see what looks best.

• Like 1

The canal was nice, but Panama itself was...worth missing.  Very third world, 

I disagree wholeheartedly! Panama is NOT worth missing. Yes, it is very third world and if you only traverse the canal and don't actually get into the country itself and talk with the people, then maybe it's not so grand. But I actually lived there for about a year, compliments of the military. 

The cruiseliners I saw go through the canal did exactly that: went THROUGH the canal, and never stopped. 

You miss SO much of what Panama is like if you're just doing a 'drive by.'

The lush green jungle flora is absolutely beautiful. Hearing howler monkeys chattering at dusk and dawn is something to 

be remembered! The infantry guys would throw things at the monkeys and the monkeys would throw them back!

Seeing a coutimundi is an interesting sight! Snorkeling on the Caribbean side might bring you in close proximity to a stingray or two! 

My personal, experienced opinion is that if you're going to visit Panama, do it via a tour or with someone you know who lives there or has lived there. As for a cruise, if you've never been on one, 10 days might be a little too long. Our first one was an 8-day Caribbean cruise and that was perfect. I'd say 8 days or less for their first cruise.