Menu

Who understands wedding guest attire? I could use some advice

lynn

So my nephew is getting married in April.  They have chosen a lovely farm in N Ga as their venue but the wedding is at 5P.    My old school thinking evening wedding is cocktail dress or more formal attire.  However it is at a beautiful farm.  So is this an anything goes from nice casual/business dress with heels, Capris/slacks/nice jeans, heels, dressy top or stick with more formal attire?  Lordy, I'm overwhelmed please offer any advice you may have.  TIA     

Did you google the venue?  The fact that it is a farm doesn't necessarily reflect on the dress.  It's probably just a beautiful place that also caters events - see if there is a website with event photos.  We attended a wedding at such a "farm" and there was nothing casual about it.  I definitely vote for cocktail unless the invitation indicates something else.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 5

I'd ask the mother of the bride or groom. I would not automatically assume more formal attire, because the range of possibilities is so wide. I would not want to attend a wedding in a cocktail dress if everyone's in sundresses and cowboy boots.

Below is a search for wedding attire on google. As you can see, some are formal, some are informal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=outdoor+wedding+attire+on+farm&espv=2&biw=1229&bih=589&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJh-qUsabRAhVL4YMKHdfUDuYQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=outdoor+farm+wedding+guest+attire+-pinterest

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 2

I'd ask the mother of the bride or groom. I would not automatically assume more formal attire, because the range of possibilities is so wide. I would not want to attend a wedding in a cocktail dress if everyone's in sundresses and cowboy boots.

Below is a search for wedding attire on google. As you can see, some are formal, some are informal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=outdoor+wedding+attire+on+farm&espv=2&biw=1229&bih=589&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJh-qUsabRAhVL4YMKHdfUDuYQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=outdoor+farm+wedding+guest+attire+-pinterest

I agree. Just ask! It's not gauche to ask. :)

• Like 7

That's tough. We have farms here where the western wear casual thing is done. But then we have farms here that are crazy elegant, the landscaping lush, the barn with hardwood dance floor, chandeliers hanging from the rafters, you name it.

I would ask. There isn't anything wrong with that.

• Like 5

I'd go with a cocktail dress, but I think you could get away with dressy casual.

I recently went to an outdoor late afternoon wedding and it was mostly women in dresses, men in jackets.    A few guys in khakis.   No one formal aside from the wedding party.

• Like 1

You really have to ask, because the possibilities are limitless. Will you be on a dirt floor, walking across a (potentially muddy) field, or will you be in a hotel like ballroom that looks like a barn on the outside? Will there be indoor plumbing, port-a-potties (gack), fancy port-a-potties in a truck? Will you be outdoors? What's the weather like? Indoors, is it climate controlled?

• Like 1

You really have to ask, because the possibilities are limitless. Will you be on a dirt floor, walking across a (potentially muddy) field, or will you be in a hotel like ballroom that looks like a barn on the outside? Will there be indoor plumbing, port-a-potties (gack), fancy port-a-potties in a truck? Will you be outdoors? What's the weather like? Indoors, is it climate controlled?

I can't imagine a wedding where guests will get muddy, where people aren't warned in advance that it's casual. Does that really happen?

I can't imagine a wedding where guests will get muddy, where people aren't warned in advance that it's casual. Does that really happen?

Yes! It happens because of assumptions. Bride assumes everyone knows this is a *real farm* and people should wear boots or similar for the hike to that perfect spot beyond the field where there's a little waterfall. Guests assume it's more a venue, hilarity and tragedy ensue.

I was married in a tiny old church that is important to my family, with a reception following at a nearby inn with all the conveniences. The church is on a very twisty road Andy there's no paving or sidewalk for the church. It has an outhouse. We hired SUVs to ferry guests from the reception site to the church and back again. I made sure everyone knew the setup, and it was fine!

A friend of mine who married on the side of a mountain didn't plan very well. No, your 80 your old grandma cannot be pushed up the trail in a wheelchair. They piggybacked the poor lady!

• Like 2

Brides and grooms are notorious for being poor communicators and making assumptions. Notorious. They are otherwise busy in their heads with other things. So in the absence of a seasoned wedding coordinator/event planner to think of all these details and effectively communicate them, things like this really happen.

Outdoor weddings come with a whole layer of unpredictability anyway. Weather....rains the night before and muddies up the place, rains the day of, gusting winds, sudden temperature change, you name it. Then there is the issue of bees and what not. I try to remind brides and grooms that they must take this into consideration. Yes, the flower garden is lovely, but if Uncle Bob is deathly allergic to bees, don't be shocked if the ceremony halts with a big dramatic flair while collapsed Bob gets an epi shot and everyone waits for EMS to arrive.

Not to mention wild animals. Had a couple of squirrels drop acorns on guests heads, and a bird poo on the bride. I once coordinated a wedding in which the neighbor's dog, a watch dog who didn't appreciate all of the hoopla next door, got loose and came over to terrorize everyone. Fortunately, the owners were home and came to get him right away.

So I would expect a bit of unusual circumstances if the venue is an actual working farm.

Hate outdoor weddings, LOL.

• Like 1

Not to mention wild animals. Had a couple of squirrels drop acorns on guests heads, and a bird poo on the bride. I once coordinated a wedding in which the neighbor's dog, a watch dog who didn't appreciate all of the hoopla next door, got loose and came over to terrorize everyone. Fortunately, the owners were home and came to get him right away.

So I would expect a bit of unusual circumstances if the venue is an actual working farm.

Hate outdoor weddings, LOL.

Ohhh :huh:

Did she see it as an omen?  :leaving:

When the venue will be on earth or gravel, I avoid tiny high heels no matter what time of day or evening. My nephew's bride even included some info about this in the invitation. If I was unsure how dressy it will be, I would go with an elegant but not fussy cocktail dress in a dark color.

I just attended a New Year's Eve wedding that took place inside greenhouses on a farm. Thematically, the wedding was farm-like, with farm-bench seating, logs holding Mason jars full of flowers, and winter greenery as a table decoration. I wore a dressy top, bolero sweater and simple pencil skirt, with dark hose and lower heels. Most people were dressed on the simple side of cocktail wear, but dressier than business casual.