Menu

World War II movie suggestions?

Donovans4

Have you looked at any of the John Wayne movies? He made a ton of WWII movies.

Band of Brothers is awesome

surprisingly enough, THe Waltons have quite a few shows devoted to WWII - from MaryEllen's husband getting killed at Pearl Harbor to Ben being liberated from a Japanese POW camp.

Vision Forum has done some documentaries too.

HTH

The Scarlet and The Black--Gregory Peck stars in a wonderful story of the Resistance that takes place in the Vatican--excellent, with by far the best ending of any movie I have ever seen (it's told in the scrolled written part right before the credits).

The Hiding Place--Holocaust movie based on true story (as is The Scarlet and The Black)--two sisters hide Jews in their house, then are discovered.

The Great Escape--also based on true story. Escape thru tunneling at a POW camp.

My son started enjoying war movies about that age. His two favorites were "To Hell and Back" with Audie Murphy and "Battleground" with Ricardo Montalban, Van Johnson, and tons of other people whose names I can't remember. "Battleground" is black and white.

The nice thing about these old ones is the language is not bad, nothing like the more recent war movies that come out.

Jeannie

I remembered a few others we enjoy. LOL "Operation Petticoat" is great. A bit lighter than the other movies mentioned, but entertaining. Cary Grant and Tony Curtis in the same movie.....what's not to like?

Also, "Father Goose" and "Mr. Roberts" are great!

"The Enemy Below" is a really great movie, too.

Can you tell we like old movies?

Jeannie