Menu

SAT prep

What is a great choice for SAT prep? We have been using Khan, which is free. PrepScholar has a money back guarantee.

We would really like to give it our all. Our son has a selective school as his first choice.

Does anyone have BTDT experience?

Does anyone have a review for PrepScholar?

Thank you,

Rebecca

• Like 1

Are you looking for a book, online class or in-person class or a private tutor?

No BTDT experience yet.  We determined that our dd needs an in-person class (and/or private tutoring, but we will leave that aside for now).  She needs timing practice, test-taking strategies, etc.  A friend who is a college admissions consultant in our area recommended Princeton Review.  I already signed her up for a summer course because there was a coupon code/sale, so I saved 20%.  It was still expensive, but in my dd's particular case, I think the benefit will be worth it in the big picture.  Depending on how her practice scores look from the summer class, we may follow up the class with some sort of brushing up - not another class but perhaps a touch of private tutoring or just more practice at home - right before the fall SAT (she will be a junior this fall).  From there I'm not sure what will happen, though perhaps she'll take it a second time the following winter/early spring.  She will have to take the ACT at school in spring of junior year, April comes to mind.  I'd like her not to have to take either test during May of junior year as she will have some AP and probably SAT2 tests...my goal is to be done with SAT/ACT before then.

For math specifically, I have read that the PWNtheSAT book can lead a good math student to great scores.

Edited by wapiti

I don't know about the SAT specifically, but I've heard it said about other standardized tests that the sort of prep you need depends on what you're scoring as a baseline. If already a highish score, perhaps specialized review is better. If you think there's a large gap, then one of the kaplans or Princeton reviews might work. The issue I have with the larger prep schools is that they seem to have a formula, and they want student to do things exactly that way. That might not work for a high scorer that just needs incremental assistance. But I haven't been through this with my children, obviously.

We already outsource a lot so we mostly used prep books as we did not have the budget for tutors and son does not like using Khan Academy. This was for the old SAT. Son used a combo of Barrons and the Official SAT Guide.

For the essay/ grammar portions, his weakest area, an experienced friend worked with him over about 8 hours spread out over a month. Her fees were reasonable and DS enjoyed it so win win.

DS's scores were within the range for elite colleges.

If you have a strong student already scoring >700 on practice tests, the outside prep might not make a huge difference.

Barrons has books that focus only on math or reading or writing. They also have a book called SAT 1600. We used the math and 1600 books. We also used Khan academy. I think the best tip I can give is take lots of practice tests (on paper) under timed conditions. We did one about every 2 weeks. It was our school for the day -- the remainder of our school days were busy to make up for lost time, but the practice tests were worth it.

I have one kid who need test prep and one who doesn't. Khan didn't work out for either of my kids as they are much faster with online tests than with color the bubbles. My younger can finish all six of the online Khan SAT practice tests but he can't finish any from test prep books or the actual SAT.

I don't know what baseline your child is coming from but my oldest is out of the money back guarantee zone and if we do test prep, it would be with a test prep tutor just to target his weakest areas.

Depending on how her practice scores look from the summer class, we may follow up the class with some sort of brushing up - not another class but perhaps a touch of private tutoring or just more practice at home - right before the fall SAT (she will be a junior this fall).

Dedicating the week of the Nov 2016 SAT test to test prep worked very well for my slow reader. His speed improved when he did the full practice tests on consecutive days. His actual total score is about 200 higher than the Princeton Review Cracking the SAT 2016 edition (library copy) practice tests under timed conditions. Not sure how he will prep for the June 2017 SAT yet but it would be his 2nd time and he would have finished intermediate algebra then. Whatever it is, consecutive days of prep works well for this kid better than staggered days. He just asked me what is median again and the probability and data analysis on the math section was his weakest section.

My kids informed me that I am supposed to buy them chocolates so that they can have chocolates before taking the actual tests. It is supposed to boost test scores :lol: They said that they read that "advice" in AoPS forums. So I will be nice and pack a can of Coke and a Toblerone for snack time the next time :)

Edited for typing mistakes

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

So, this is my first time through all of this. My son is a junior. His scores were not greater than 700. I don't know what to choose/do! He has personalized Khan practice from the PSAT scores. I would like to bring his composite score up at least 100 points. He did score solidly over 1200.

What is the money back guarantee zone please?

From wapiti's first link " For the New SAT they guarantee 160+ point increase up to 1530. "

My oldest score in the 1400s with math >700, so going up to 1530 would be a less than 160+ point increase. Even though if we pay for test prep, we would hope our kids get at least a 160+ point increase instead of worrying about a refund.

Wow! Even though we have no intention of using their service. The price variation seems sneaky.

ETA:

I'm seeing $397 sale price, $600 supposed price.

Edited by Arcadia

• 1 year later...

We use Reasonprep. It was more affordable than Prepscholar and Rob is a great instructor.

Thank you SO much for sharing this Vida Winter. Have you experienced results yet?

Not yet but expect to in 2017.

Now that it's early 2018, would you still recommend Reasonprep?

• Like 1

How is the Khan Academy prep? My dd just needs to work on the math section. She didn't miss any on the reading/writing sections of the PSAT, but she has room for a lot of improvement in math. Speed is an issue, though this year she just managed to finish, unlike last year when she had to leave many blank in the math section.

High School Math Live has a math-only prep class. My son needs the math help, too:

https://www.highschoolmathlive.com/sat-prep-inforegistration.html

Other options are:

Big River Academy, fall or spring offers

Bright Ideas Press

Edited by historymatters