Menu

Update on the "something to make the cat sit in my lap" gift...

TheReader

Well, I have compiled all the ideas from the other thread, and wanted to post what we came up with.

I found a box at Hobby Lobby labeled as though it is a shipping box from the North Pole, "Do Not Open Until Dec. 25th", and will use that to wrap the items. We don't normally wrap Santa gifts, but this way all the cat items can be contained.

I bought a grooming not, two sided, that we will allow only this DS to use to groom/pet the cat; hopefully she likes this, and will sit and be brushed/groomed.

I found a pack of cat treats that are long sticks, that hopefully she will love, and can sit in his lap while she nibbles/eats the whole thing.

I found a mat that has a center made of scratchy stuff, to entice her to claw/scratch on that. She loves to scratch, has only a few places in the house where she can do this, so hopefully he can hold this mat in his lap and she'll be drawn to sit there and scratch/claw/knead/etc. I can't remember if I bought catnip spray or not, but will likely get it and test it first. Maybe.

I bought materials to make a cross between two cat sacks I found online; one is a standard crinkle sack, roughly paper bag/pillow case shaped, but the other had the top half of the sack very oversized, for burrowing/hiding under. She *LOVES* burrowing under things, so I am hoping that the combo will intrigue her and be irresistible. She loves crinkle stuff, and soft stuff, so I got two different fleeces (one more fuzzy than the other), and a middle layer of Insul Bright batting, which is a thermal lining (to make stuff heat resistant, etc) which obviously we don't need the heat resistance, but the stuff is super crinkly sounding so that will be the middle layer probably only on the bottom part.

So....it has turned into an expensive endeavor, but hopefully will work, or at least some of it. And, hopefully I can find time to sew the cat sack without him seeing it, which would blow the Santa thing completely.

I will be including a letter from Santa explaining how he never had such an interesting request before, and wasn't sure what would work since all cats are very different and have minds of their own, so Santa sent many things that hopefully will help, and how if anyone can manage it, surely it will be DS since the cat is obviously so closely bonded to him that she sleeps in his bed and follows him up and down the stairs all the time.

And yes, I am also saying little prayers that it works, but wanted to say thanks here for the great ideas....I'll report back after Christmas to let you all know how it goes.

• Like 24