bettyandbob

What material do I want...

Granite

Quartz

Something else

Where do I want to buy/install

Home Depot/Lowe's

Specialty shop

While we are considering, do I want a double sink.

We are 8 years half way done /stuck in kitchen remodel. Countertops are the sticking point. Dh wanted to proceed with vinyl laminate. He said he would replace with solid surface when "we could afford it." However I said no because I know once it's done whatever was there would be deemed good enough and never replaced.

So it looks like we will proceed.

BTW the kitchen has not been a construction zone for 8 years. Half the new cabinets are installed. Half are in my basement. So half the kitchen is the old and half new. Sounds weird, but perfectly usable. If we do this I'll get to reclaim my finished basement too. Dh was doing the cabinets, but he won't do the counter around the sink.

What material?  

Between Granite and Quartz I would check local prices.  Sometimes Quartz is cheaper sometimes it is Granite if there is a local source.  Also, look in person at the look of each.  

FWIW, I love, love, love our quartz counter top.  Still looks pristine after 6ish years, super easy to keep clean, extremely rugged, can take a hot pot right from the stove top, does not need sealing like Granite is supposed to (although apparently there are sealants that last now instead of having to reseal) and it comes in a WIDE range of colors/styles.  I strongly recommend getting samples and putting them in your home before deciding on something, though.  I found that what the samples looked like on-line were frequently VASTLY different than what they looked like in person.

As for installation, I would call around to find local companies that have a lot of experience with installation of whatever material you end up choosing.

I vote Soapstone. I'm not sure where it can be purchased (ours is from the Vermont Soapstone Company). We've had ours for 16 years and it's wearing really well. Easy to maintain and very durable. I LOVE that hot pots can be placed on it directly without worry!

I love the look of soapstone! I want to do that in our bathrooms and had never thought of using it in the kitchen. What is the upkeep like as a kitchen counter?

We went with a solid surface like Corian but it was a different brand. We weren't living in the house at the time, so we had to go with what was easily available locally. We went to out local Home Depot to pick out the pattern/color, then the local person ordered it for us.

I love how easy it is to clean. When it does get a stain, a quick scrub with some cleanser gets it right out.

I have a white sink from the same material which is exactly what I wanted at the time. The sink is integrated some how so that there is no physical seam to collect gunk. I will admit that the sink gets stained and dirty looking quickly. I don't clean it often enough, so when I do, it takes a bit of work to get it looking nice again. If I cleaned it more often, it would not get so bad looking.

We just got solid wood countertops from Ikea. I really love the look. We got the cabinets from Ikea, too.

The woods counters (butcher block) from Ikea are such a bargain! Love them!

I used them as counters in our reception area at work, and 3-4 years in, they look perfect! But we don't have water in reception, and water could be an issue with wood . . .