Menu

Giftmas question for 20somethings and 30somethings

Hi, you don't know me and I don't know you so that's why I want your opinion. Thank you so much for clicking on this thread and taking the time to answer.

If you could magically tell your 50-80 year old parent without worrying about hurting their feelings, would you genuinely appreciate and enjoy the gift of a hardback paper book, either a particularly meaningful one from your childhood or something that your parent had recently read that reminded them of you and what is special about you as an individual or your relationship with your parent? Would you rather have an Amazon gift card so you could download a book of your own choice to your eye pad? If you didn't have to worry about your parent's feelings, would you actually prefer a check or a $50 bill or a PayPal payment or whatever the bleep you young whippersnappers do instead of slipping checks and dollar bills into greeting cards?

TIA and get off my lawn. ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Well, I love getting books....but I usually have pretty specific ideas about which ones I want.

Amazon gift cards are very useful.  Money is always in style.

I'm a 30-something (albeit an older 30-something) but my parents generally give us kiddos a check for Christmas.  (With smaller, inexpensive items to open for fun.)

• Like 1

Can I get both?

I love the idea of a meaningful gift, and your description of a book that sparked a special memory or had some kind of personal connection between the giver and me is lovely. But I'm also super practical and have an Amazon wish list a mile long.

Greedy, I know.

• Like 2

If you really want to pass along this book that is meaningful, it doesn't need to be done at Christmas. I mean, it can, but I don't know that I'd wrap it up and say it's their Christmas gift.

My parents usually give us cash at Christmas. We do a lot of Amazon gift card exchanges among family members year-round so it's kind of a boring, predictable yet still appreciated gift lol.

If it is a book they think I would enjoy: book would have been great. 

I would have enjoyed the gift card if I were too poor to buy the books I like for myself. I didn't like receiving money gifts after I was a teen and am grateful that my parents always had nice, personal ideas for gifts I really enjoyed.

If it is a book that is "meaningful" to them, I'd pass - because that means I would feel obliged to keep this book forever because it was "meaningful" to my parent. I don't do sentimental.

Edited by regentrude

I'm 32 and I'd much prefer the book. But, I am the kind of person who will almost always pick the book option in any circumstance... if your 20-30 something isn't much of a reader then I'd keep looking. The best gifts from my parents are nice things they think I'll like but that I would never set money aside for - like a lovely shawl, perfume etc.