Menu

What denomination is this?

Ravin

dh's nephew is a professional cellist.  he went out of his way to avoid williams.  he made many a derogatory comment as well.   he was forced to study  his work in a MA program.

I always felt similarly about John Philip Sousa. :lol:

I played the bassoon, the bassoon part in Sousa's stuff is always

upbeat *honk* upbeat *honk* upbeat *honk* upbeat *honk* upbeat *honk* upbeat *honk* *repeat*

or

downbeat *honk* downbeat *honk* downbeat *honk* downbeat *honk* downbeat *honk* downbeat *honk* *repeat*

John Williams actually wrote notes for bassoon so while it certainly isn't as fun as playing Mozart I did prefer it to the honking. :lol: Only my band director's fascist-like grip on the bassoons prevented us from quietly playing something different in the background, "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT BASSOONS!?!?"

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 5

FWIW, when I taught PS, there was a child who's mother converted to an Anabaptist sect, and came to school to tell me that her son could no longer participate in anything involving instrumental music because it was unbiblical. That's kind of hard in an Orff-based music program, and after mom vetoed several suggestions (because apparently recorded music was out as well, so even if I'd created a music history of acapella vocal music, he wouldn't have been allowed to listen to it), the kid got a study hall. He also ended up being excused from basically anything that involved videos, because they had background music.

What was ironic is that the particular denomination she claimed is one that has a private school with one of the top high school music programs, including orchestra, anywhere, and amazing music programs at their colleges and seminaries. Growing up with four part acapella part singing from birth trains some amazing musicians, and family music making is also quite common. To this day, I don't know if the mother had found a congregation with a very, very strict interpretation, or if she had, with the zeal of a convert, jumped to an extreme far beyond what was typically held.

I'm not familiar with that particular church. My grandparents-in-law are ok with instrumental music outside of the church building but not within, not even recorded. I struggled with the logic behind that, either instruments were ok or they weren't.

My church is more progressive, we are acapella, but a few years ago had the charter changed so instruments could be used in the building outside of worship service. People were using recorded instrumental music during weddings and fortunately the elders saw the irony. I could see instruments eventually being allowed but the elders don't want to upset the old timers so it probably will be a gradual change. I have to agree though that the acapella 4 part harmony is beautiful! I didn't grow up singing it, it have learned it and really enjoy listening to it.

dh's nephew is a professional cellist. he went out of his way to avoid williams. he made many a derogatory comment as well. he was forced to study his work in a MA program.

Another musician can correct me if I'm misremembering, but there's something about John Williams and his use of triads in popular music that makes him notable beyond Star Wars. I was a music major, but I'm recalling this from high school theory, so I may be wrong. A lot has leaked out since those days.

Sorry, extremely off topic and random!

• Like 1

Another musician can correct me if I'm misremembering, but there's something about John Williams and his use of triads in popular music that makes him notable beyond Star Wars. I was a music major, but I'm recalling this from high school theory, so I may be wrong. A lot has leaked out since those days.

Sorry, extremely off topic and random!

:lol:

I just remember some trying to play a different John Williams tune while playing a John Williams tune and seeing how long they could get away with it.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Why could he not play his saxophone?

From LDS FAQs

May brass instruments be used in sacrament meeting?“Instruments with a prominent or less worshipful sound, such as most brass and percussion, are not appropriate for sacrament meeting†(Handbook 2, 14.4.2).

So the saxophone isn't so worshipful, I guess.  I'd hate to be the guy in charge of determining what God finds worshipful.

• Like 4

From LDS FAQs

May brass instruments be used in sacrament meeting?“Instruments with a prominent or less worshipful sound, such as most brass and percussion, are not appropriate for sacrament meeting†(Handbook 2, 14.4.2).
So the saxophone isn't so worshipful, I guess. I'd hate to be the guy in charge of determining what God finds worshipful.
I had a friend that played something by Mahler on a French horn in sacrament meeting. It was not well received. :lol:
  • Like 2

Why could he not play his saxophone?

Only a few instruments are allowed during a sacrament meeting... Ones that are felt to keep a certain reverence. Besides the organ and piano, I have seen the flute, violin, I think cello, and a quartet of recorders. I think brass instruments, woodwind instruments along the lines of the saxophone, guitars, and other percussion instruments are not permitted... But I don't know the exact list.

They would be allowed, I believe, in other meetings.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Only a few instruments are allowed during a sacrament meeting... Ones that are felt to keep a certain reverence. Besides the organ and piano, I have seen the flute, violin, I think cello, and a quartet of recorders. I think brass instruments, woodwind instruments along the lines of the saxophone, guitars, and other percussion instruments are not permitted... But I don't know the exact list.

They would be allowed, I believe, in other meetings.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

This is one of those policy things that I roll my eyes at. A saxophone can be played in a worshipful way, and an organ can be played in a raucous way.

(for non-LDS folks listening in, there is nothing at all in LDS doctrine that forbids saxophone or any other instrument in worship services; we just have a centralized church structure in which general policies are often preferred and someone or other decided to make such a policy regarding instrumental music in church.)

• Like 1

Depends on the church. The church of Christ is traditionally non-instrumental.

Most Orthodox churches don't have instrumental music either.

But - that's only worship music, and I think that's also true for CoC, isn't it?  People can listen to instruments in other settings.

The Lyrics to Ode to Joy are

O friends, no more of these sounds!

Let us sing more cheerful songs,

More songs full of joy!

Joy!

Joy!

Joy, bright spark of divinity,

Daughter of Elysium,

Fire-inspired we tread

Within thy sanctuary.

Thy magic power re-unites

All that custom has divided,

All men become brothers,

Under the sway of thy gentle wings.

Whoever has created

An abiding friendship,

Or has won

A true and loving wife,

All who can call at least one soul theirs,

Join our song of praise;

But those who cannot must creep tearfully

Away from our circle.

All creatures drink of joy

At natures breast.

Just and unjust

Alike taste of her gift;

She gave us kisses and the fruit of the vine,

A tried friend to the end.

Even the worm can feel contentment,

And the cherub stands before God!

Gladly, like the heavenly bodies

Which He sent on their courses

Through the splendor of the firmament;

Thus, brothers, you should run your race,

Like a hero going to victory!

You millions, I embrace you.

This kiss is for all the world!

Brothers, above the starry canopy

There must dwell a loving father.

Do you fall in worship, you millions?

World, do you know your creator?

Seek Him in the heavens;

Above the stars must he dwell.

It's translated from German so there may be slight variations. It isn't a Christmas song, though it is a religious song and Carol of the Bells *is* "Merry Christmas" appears several times in the lyrics.

I don't know how advanced her class is but most musicians play or sing a religious song at some point or another. People don't generally refuse to play religious (even anti-religious people) music because much of it is actually quite nice and they would miss out on several composers, not to mention it could be difficult to find a job with a symphony.

I just saw this. I think some Jws would be ok with this and some not, a reference to God or the heavens or worship in and of itself doesn't make it a religious song to avoid. Especially when it is very old such as this is....and not affiliated with a particular religion. And part of it is how closely it is related to Christmas celebration.....

I still dont understand Star Wars being in the same category. To me SW is just a scifi movie. I meanI understand the plot of good vs evil but that is in soooooo much literature.

This is one of those policy things that I roll my eyes at. A saxophone can be played in a worshipful way, and an organ can be played in a raucous way.

(for non-LDS folks listening in, there is nothing at all in LDS doctrine that forbids saxophone or any other instrument in worship services; we just have a centralized church structure in which general policies are often preferred and someone or other decided to make such a policy regarding instrumental music in church.)

It reminds me of when I would tell people that my bassoon was a "jazz bassoon," and try to play jazz tunes on it.

• Like 1

Most Orthodox churches don't have instrumental music either.

But - that's only worship music, and I think that's also true for CoC, isn't it? People can listen to instruments in other settings.

Correct, listening and even playing instruments is fine, just not during worship.
  • Like 1

He makes jokes that the angels (so often depicted with their instruments) would have to leave the trumpet at the door when announcing the second coming.

• Like 4