Menu

So... If I particularly like Personent Hodie and...

Nan in Mass

Personent hodie -https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BofPBKYlCKE

Non nobis domine (don't know a recording, we just sing it)

And the carol Gaudete, gaudete -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cn9oi_UCi3w

What else might I like? I particularly like these melodies and their harmonies. I don,t really care about the words, although Latin is very nice to sing..

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 1

Not in Latin, but Noel Nouvelet has a similar feel to me.

I,ve always loved that one! So - maybe the ones I listed have something in common, if you could extrapolate into Noel Nouvelet. If so, what is it?

Lol well, besides the first few notes, that is lol.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

I don't know that I can tell you that it is in the same style, but I like this and I *also* like Faure's O Redeemer Divine.  Cantique de Jean Racine.  

There are others that I totally know fit what you want, but they are all at my other house...so I will try to remember to pipe up when I get back there.  

Do you have Spotify?  If so, plug that in, and go to the albums that Personent Hodie appears on and you will find a lot of music in the same genre.  I just did it.  

I don't know that I can tell you that it is in the same style, but I like this and I *also* like Faure's O Redeemer Divine. Cantique de Jean Racine.

There are others that I totally know fit what you want, but they are all at my other house...so I will try to remember to pipe up when I get back there.

Do you have Spotify? If so, plug that in, and go to the albums that Personent Hodie appears on and you will find a lot of music in the same genre. I just did it.

I tried that with Pandora and got similar music but not anything I absolutely loved, like the three I listed. I probably should give it more time.

It's probably that they're both in Dorian mode. http://www.octavebox.com/scales/church-modes/. They're also both happy songs in Dorian, if that makes sense-they have that joy and lilt to them. Greensleeves is also in Dorian, but not as lilting.

That makes sense. My sister and I sang Greensleeves endlessly growing up. We have a nice second part for it. When my youngest was still young enough to sing the soprano, he and I sang it in an empty stone church one time. The accoustics were gorgeous. It,s one of my most treasured memories from when he was little. So - that,s what I need to look for then. I,m pretty sure many of the folk songs I like fit that description as well.

Nan

Here is one I think  you may like- In the Bleak Midwinter- music by Gustave Holst (best known for The Planets) and words by Christina Rossetti. Sung her by CHoir of King's College Cambridge    

Another one I really like sort of in the same style is Once  in Royal David's City  CHoir and congregation KIng's College Cambridge                                              

• Like 1

Here is one I think  you may like- In the Bleak Midwinter- music by Gustave Holst (best known for The Planets) and words by Christina Rossetti. Sung her by CHoir of King's College Cambridge    

Another one I really like sort of in the same style is Once  in Royal David's City  CHoir and congregation KIng's College Cambridge                                              

These are lovely, Chris.

• 2 weeks later...