Menu

macrame help please

chocolate-chip chooky

My daughter has taught herself crochet using books and absolutely loves it and has become quite proficient at it.

I'd like to get her a beginner's macrame book for Christmas, so that she can try something a bit different but in the same vein.

Any ideas for a suitable beginner's guide that maybe has some projects as well?

Thanks.

Ha. Maybe it isn't, we'll see!

When I think of macrame, I think of dodgy wall-hangings from the 70s and maybe some hanging potplant holders  :laugh:

I found a couple of books online that use macrame for pretty cool-looking jewelry, though.

I'm thinking about maybe getting her this one: http://www.bookdepository.com/The-New-Macrame-Katie-Dumont/9781579902278?ref=grid-view 

• Like 1

Macramé is nice for "restless" hands too. My kids saw me making some macramé water bottle holders using twine and tried too.

Have you look at the many free macramé PDFs available online?

http://www.macramelovers.com/OneStopMacrameShop.pdf

https://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/books/macrame_dmc.pdf

Thanks Arcadia. You know that my daughter has restless hands, don't you? Was it even you who put us onto crochet about a year ago?? If so, THANK YOU!

It has been so, so good for my daughter. She loves the precision involved (although we have had our share of perfectionistic meltdowns over it...)

I'll definitely check out those links - thank you!

Try YouTube and Pinterest. I learned how to make plant hangers from those two places.

This was my first thought too. Youtube and Pinterest are full of great ideas and super step-by-step tutorials.

I can't wrap it and put it under the tree though, you know?

I'll probably choose an inexpensive beginner book to wrap and then my daughter will head off online herself for more projects.

This was my first thought too. Youtube and Pinterest are full of great ideas and super step-by-step tutorials.

I can't wrap it and put it under the tree though, you know?

I'll probably choose an inexpensive beginner book to wrap and then my daughter will head off online herself for more projects.

Oh yeah I missed that bit. The only thing I'd add is that on Pinterest I found some images that were clearly scans of book pages so might be leads to older books. Also some of the craft people on YouTube have books but they may be mixed crafts. Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 1

This is one of the better 'oldies but goodies' as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Step-Step-Macrame-Complete-Introduction/dp/0307420051/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480459422&sr=1-1&keywords=step+by+step+macrame

Something you will notice is that the macrame books point you toward creating your own designs more so than following a recipe.  Macrame tends to be something that you're supposed to be able to figure out your own applications for.  I've seen some gorgeous macrame jewelry, for instance, made in very fine waxed linen and incorporating embedded polished stones.  And I've seen some two-story tall wall hangings using the same basic techniques.

• Like 1

I can't find the book you linked but found this one Hot Knots : Fresh Macrame Ideas for Jewelry, Home, and Fashion (746.4222 Hartmann) at my local library and it is not bad.

Arcadia, you are awesome. Thank you.

How cool is that arm jewelry on the cover?  Macrame has obviously come some way from wall hangings of owls.

Carol, thank you so much for those suggestions. 

As an active macrame-er, can you please let me know if I need to get anything other than a book and some cord to get her started?

I've noticed that some pictures have some sort of frame/board. Should I get one of these initially or is that for more advanced techniques?

Thanks heaps!

Carol, thank you so much for those suggestions. 

As an active macrame-er, can you please let me know if I need to get anything other than a book and some cord to get her started?

I've noticed that some pictures have some sort of frame/board. Should I get one of these initially or is that for more advanced techniques?

Thanks heaps!

You can start with a really strong clipboard--the oldfashioned brown ones with the very strong clips are what I used.  There has to be some way of stabilizing the initial knots, so something along those lines is very helpful.  Do you think she might like to make a macramé belt?  If so, you can pick up the double set of D-shaped metal 'rings' very inexpensively at a sewing store. 

Regarding the cord, I'd suggest an assortment that includes some kitchen string, some waxed linen, maybe some heavier hemp cordage, etc.  The key features are that the cord should be non-slippery and non-stretchy.  Jute was common back in the day, but it breaks down in sunlight so I don't care much for it.   Wool is pretty stretchy, but if you get weaving yarn instead of knitting yarn wool can work OK.  It's harder to use than cotton or linen or hemp, though.  I have never tried silk, but I've seen some very advanced fine art pieces in silk yarns--they are pretty slippery and tend to be small in diameter so I would not recommend them for a beginner. 

• Like 1

You can start with a really strong clipboard--the oldfashioned brown ones with the very strong clips are what I used.  There has to be some way of stabilizing the initial knots, so something along those lines is very helpful.  Do you think she might like to make a macramé belt?  If so, you can pick up the double set of D-shaped metal 'rings' very inexpensively at a sewing store. 

Regarding the cord, I'd suggest an assortment that includes some kitchen string, some waxed linen, maybe some heavier hemp cordage, etc.  The key features are that the cord should be non-slippery and non-stretchy.  Jute was common back in the day, but it breaks down in sunlight so I don't care much for it.   Wool is pretty stretchy, but if you get weaving yarn instead of knitting yarn wool can work OK.  It's harder to use than cotton or linen or hemp, though.  I have never tried silk, but I've seen some very advanced fine art pieces in silk yarns--they are pretty slippery and tend to be small in diameter so I would not recommend them for a beginner. 

Thank you!

That is so, so helpful  :001_smile:

• Like 1

For starting, paracords or twine is much easier than wool/yarn. I actually bought mine from the Girl Guides store as a kid. Now I just buy from hobby craft stores or sports stores which sell hiking or rock climbing supplies. A short dowel can be useful for some projects. See if your child might like to make paracord keychains like these

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/287597126182890271/

Dowel for making a macrame room divider. Link has instructions http://blog.homedepot.com/how-to-macrame-a-room-divider/

• Like 1