Menu

We did it we did it we did it!!!

DH finally got the commission check that represented months worth of sales and we PAID OFF OUR CREDIT CARDS! There was some last minute discussion about the most practical thing to do with the money, but ultimately...we did it! Now the only debt we have is our mortgage. I was the textbook example of the sucker for credit card marketing practices: Got my first card when I was 18 from one of those campus sign-ups, and it was all downhill from there. At our very worst point, we had $35K in CC debt alone. Over the past 8 years we've paid off two cars (one new, one used), bought a condo and then a home, and now we've paid our CC debt. When I look back at how much money we've blown on nothing...well, I could just kick myself around the room. But finally, here we are. DH is so excited too, but frankly, in spite of all we've been through, I am going to have to pry that **** card out of his hand. I already mentioned him giving it to me to put away and he was instantly miffed :glare: Then we got distracted. So, uh, wish me luck on the next leg of this journey, eh? :tongue_smilie:

:party:

DH finally got the commission check that represented months worth of sales and we PAID OFF OUR CREDIT CARDS! There was some last minute discussion about the most practical thing to do with the money, but ultimately...we did it! Now the only debt we have is our mortgage. I was the textbook example of the sucker for credit card marketing practices: Got my first card when I was 18 from one of those campus sign-ups, and it was all downhill from there. At our very worst point, we had $35K in CC debt alone. Over the past 8 years we've paid off two cars (one new, one used), bought a condo and then a home, and now we've paid our CC debt. When I look back at how much money we've blown on nothing...well, I could just kick myself around the room. But finally, here we are. DH is so excited too, but frankly, in spite of all we've been through, I am going to have to pry that **** card out of his hand. I already mentioned him giving it to me to put away and he was instantly miffed :glare: Then we got distracted. So, uh, wish me luck on the next leg of this journey, eh? :tongue_smilie:

:cheers2::hurray::thumbup:

So proud of ya'll! Great job!

We paid ours off a couple of months ago as well and now only have the van and mortgage (2.5 years for each).

We had 5 credit cards at one point, though we didn't use them all at one time. We closed 3 of them. He has his, and I have mine. We like to use them for online purchases -- we don't like giving our debit card # out.

DH finally got the commission check that represented months worth of sales and we PAID OFF OUR CREDIT CARDS! There was some last minute discussion about the most practical thing to do with the money, but ultimately...we did it!

That was a smart move, and I bet you can feel a huge weight lifted off you.

:)

congrats!!!!! we just did the same thin. it is such an awesome feeling!

Congrats to you guys too!

So proud of ya'll! Great job!

We paid ours off a couple of months ago as well and now only have the van and mortgage (2.5 years for each).

We had 5 credit cards at one point, though we didn't use them all at one time. We closed 3 of them. He has his, and I have mine. We like to use them for online purchases -- we don't like giving our debit card # out.

Wow!!! 2.5 years on your mortgage, that's amazing. I can't even fathom that. My main goal right now is savings up 6 months worth of expenses so I can quit my job. I'm not sure that will ever actually happen, but we'll keep our eyes on the prize :D

That was a smart move, and I bet you can feel a huge weight lifted off you.

:)

Yes, totally. Our credit is good, so we moved the debt around a lot, always keeping it at 0% or 1.9% or 2.9%. We briefly debated putting the money in a short-term CD, which would offset the small amount of interest we'd be paying on it, and adding it to the "quit my job someday fund," but as badly as I want to quit, I just couldn't NOT pay off those cards. It really is like a rock lifted off my shoulders.

Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment to be proud of.

Well, I'd be prouder if we'd smartened up a lot sooner, but I'll take what I can get :lol:

Thank you all! I appreciate all your kind words. I didn't really have anyone else to tell, and I think DH is tired of hearing me talk about it :lol: I'm actually kind of giddy about it!