Menu

Warmest men's socks - recommendations?

Kassia

Costco merino wool trail sock.  We ski in Smartwool socks, but for walking around I think these are a much better value.  ETA hmmm the reviews on the website indicate that the new ones are not as good as before.  I am wearing the ladies version, new, as I write this, but maybe the mens are different.

ETA, this is the first day I've worn socks from my new package from Costco.  Maybe it's my imagination, but they really don't seem as warm as my old ones from a year or two ago (I have actually worn my old costco socks skiing and been just as warm - or cold lol - as with my Smartwool).  Perhaps the reviews of the new mens ones are correct, that these Costco socks don't have as much wool as they used to.  Well, at least they're cheap.  The kids had stolen my old ones, sigh.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

I have several pairs of Smartwool (thanks to the WTMforum!). I love them. Warm. I do have a pair of silk sock liners for when it is really cold.

I read that the Smartwool quality isn't what it used to be, so I tried some Point 6 socks. I do love the bright colors of the pair I got, but they are not as soft as the Smartwool. The elastic seems stronger too - which I do not like. I haven't had any problems with the Smartwool socks I purchased last year though, but I haven't worn them 5 years like my original pairs!

When I find some wool socks in the store, I walk around with the package under my arm. If it doesn't bother me after several minutes of this, I can buy them. Otherwise, no, just no. 

I have tried a couple of pairs of Alaska Knit wool no-show socks from Target. They are okay - very lightweight, but comfortable. I don't know about their longevity yet though. But at $6 or $8/pair, they are significantly cheaper than the Smartwool ones (although all my Smartwool ones are a much thicker material). 

• Like 1