Menu

It is supposed to be easier to find a job when you have one...

teachermom2834

I have always heard it is easier to find a job if you have one.  My dh has been out of work a couple times and so he has done the job search thing.  He has never done it while employed, though.

How on earth does dh take calls about, do interviews for another job without his current boss finding out? If his current boss finds out, surely she will not be happy and be making plans to replace him.  He does not have flexible time off and doesn't even really have privacy or ability to take a private phone call. How do people do this? 

On a related note, how does one apply for a job internally in a company without upsetting current boss? So he goes to boss and tells her he is applying for this other job.  If she doesn't want to lose him does she badmouth him? If he doesn't get the new job, his boss knows he is unhappy and looking to get out.

How does this work??  

• Like 1

As far as other companies, just refuse a reference check from current boss.  Have him only allow them to verify employment, same as with a credit check.

As far as internally, a boss isn't going to badmouth him unless she is a sociopath. If she does, it will come back on her for continuing to employ someone who is terrible.   If he's been in the position for a while, he should give her a heads up that he's been thinking about goals and was wondering about such-and-such position that is open.  She'll either be extremely encouraging, she'll wince and say, "I hate to lose you, but I'll give you a great reference," OR she'll know that they've already chosen who will get the job, it's only open due to corporate policy to not close a job opening until at least 3-5 qualified people have applied to it. In which case, she might talk to him about ways to stand out for the next available promotion.   As long as he remembers that no matter what the tasks of a job is, his real job is to make his boss look good, he'll do fine.

• Like 2

Employers should be willing to do tings like interviews when someone isn't at work.  I've never heard of an employer who didn't understand that prospective employees wouldn't always be avialable at a moment's notice and that interview times would need to be arranged with that in mind.

• Like 1

When people are interviewing for a job while still working, they set up a time for the telephone screening or 1st round screening - they then go to a designated place to take the call - I have seen people sitting inside their car in a parking lot, going to a local park, driving home etc to take the phone call from a prospective employer. Some also take those calls early in the morning or late in the evenings when they are home . So, when the recruiter email asks your husband when he is available  for a phone screening, he can set up a time and be at a private place at that time.

• Like 2

I do interviews for new employees during lunch hours, before normal work hours, after work hours. I have done skype calls in the evenings or even interviews at a coffee shop for internal applicants who don't want their current boss to know they are job shopping. When I call them, I expect to leave voice mail and that they will call me outside of work hours if their are currently employed, so I give them my mobile number.

For internal applicants, I ALWAYS review their HR records before scheduling a second interview. I do not talk to their current boss unless this is an arranged thing - the employee requests that I talk to their boss or all parties are involved and we are doing more of an "employee transfer" than a new hire.

Getting good candidates in a tight market has always meant being flexible on the interviewing side for us.

• Like 1

Well, my dh had a horrible time recently finding a new job.  He was going outside for calls, trying to do interviews early or super late in the day or taking the day off and doing multiple places that day.  He found companies didn't care if you had to work.  They often had interview times at the worst times.  And I swear his boss had bugged his phone.  If he set up an interview by phone at home for a day the next week at 1pm. His boss would change every meeting that week to be on that day at 1pm.  It happened multiple times it was scary.  

But generally they don't want you out of work.  Dh wasn't doing a job he liked and that was an issue as well.  When they heard what he was doing, they felt he couldn't do the job he was applying for.  Even if he said the job description didn't match the job duties.  

• Like 1

When people are interviewing for a job while still working, they set up a time for the telephone screening or 1st round screening - they then go to a designated place to take the call - I have seen people sitting inside their car in a parking lot, going to a local park, driving home etc to take the phone call from a prospective employer. Some also take those calls early in the morning or late in the evenings when they are home . So, when the recruiter email asks your husband when he is available  for a phone screening, he can set up a time and be at a private place at that time.

Yes, and typically one's lunch time is plenty of time for the 1st interview.

• Like 1

My dh has had a few job searches while still employed. Typically he stepped outside to a park for phone interviews. He took public transportation to work at the time, but if he had an interview he drove our van downtown. Since the dress code in his office was business casual, he would bring a suit and change in the back of the van in the parking garage. If it was really cold or snowy weather, he would drive in the van to work for phone interviews as well. He was always careful to make up any time lost from his current employer either by eating his lunch while working or by staying late. 

He never allowed prospective employers to contact current employers for references. Not a good idea. That's pretty standard, and he didn't run into any difficulties with that.

• Like 1

I have always heard it is easier to find a job if you have one.  My dh has been out of work a couple times and so he has done the job search thing.  He has never done it while employed, though.

How on earth does dh take calls about, do interviews for another job without his current boss finding out? If his current boss finds out, surely she will not be happy and be making plans to replace him.  He does not have flexible time off and doesn't even really have privacy or ability to take a private phone call. How do people do this? 

On a related note, how does one apply for a job internally in a company without upsetting current boss? So he goes to boss and tells her he is applying for this other job.  If she doesn't want to lose him does she badmouth him? If he doesn't get the new job, his boss knows he is unhappy and looking to get out.

How does this work??  

calls do need to be discrete.

dsil has the ability to change jobs after only being at a job for as little as two - three months. during the three/four years he was employed here - he worked in at least five different depts in the same company.  he'd move because he didn't like the people/didn't like the job, etc.  didn't want to go to st. louis (for one.)

after four months, he didn't like his 2nd to last job here - so he sent out resumes (including within his employer) and did do interviews.  just didn't tell his boss or take phone calls where the boss could hear.  most hiring depts know the current boss isn't going to be happy and are usually discrete.

he also took a vacation day to fly to texas to interview for his current job.   after he had the job offer in texas, he let his boss here what he wanted to stay.  boss turned him down, and they went to texas.

when 1dd was interviewing for her last job - she also ended up taking a vacation day, and she had multiple interviews with different people in one day.