Menu

I Survived Books

Agreed that they're light reading. I'd say 4thish grade level reading and that's what Book Wizard has them at as well. I'd say they're probably best enjoyed by younger readers who really like to read but who enjoy realistic fiction or nonfiction though older readers who are a slightly slower path with reading might enjoy them. I think they're probably best for kids who are at the stage where they've outgrown Magic Treehouse level chapter books but don't yet want to dive into longer middle grades fiction. They're clearly sold as a "boy" series, though obviously girls might like them too. 

I read I Survived The Battle of Gettysburg with my son when he was in 4th grade, and the slavery aspect was hard for him.

He read The Titanic on his own and liked it a lot.

I didn't push others bc I thought they might be hard on him like the slavery part was. He has ended up mostly reading more fantasy type stuff.

I think they are good books and totally appropriate for 4th grade from what I read. They are not as light as Magic Tree House, though, which is where I was coming from for a similar book.

Overall I think they would be great for a kid who liked Magic Tree House.

On the Boy/girl thing -- I think the covers make them look like they are for a boy. But the book I read had a brother and sister as the two main characters, and I thought they would appeal to a boy or a girl. That was my impression at the time.

Edit: I did think the one I read was good. I could see a 2nd grader reading it, too. It is not something where I think there is a need to wait to be older.

Edited by Lecka

My 10 year old likes them and has read them for a few years. Not difficult reading level and not terribly challenging vocabulary but I stop short of calling them twaddle. He has referenced some of the history he learned in them and that inspired him to read more about some topics. The kind of book one could read in a day.  I think I lump them in the same basket as Horrible Histories which my son loves. Not as dry and depressing (his words) as Wicked History but engaging for the child that enjoys historical fiction and things like that. 

My 3rd grade daughter read a number of them this year. They probably are more suited for boys but she got through a number of them anyway. I may use them as light read-alouds for my younger child as add-ons to SOTW through the appropriate topics - my children are in school now and read-aloud time has become shortened so I prefer slightly easier and quicker read-alouds for my own children especially if connected to history or science and not just as a general read-aloud.

My son picked up the Titanic on at the school library when he was in 3rd grade because he was obsessed with the Titanic at the time and fell in love with them. They were tough reads for him at the time. He's dyslexic and had just barely made it to reading on grade level at the time, so he struggled with them, but he thought they were worth the effort. I think they helped spark his love of history, so they were definitely worth it. I agree that they might appeal to a kid who liked Magic Treehouse but is ready for more a challenge both in terms of content and reading level.