Menu

Adaptive driving lessons for ADHD and other issues?

marbel

Has anyone tried this for their kid?

My son is about to take his driving test for the 2nd time and we suspect he will fail again.  He has had extensive driving practice and lessons from a driving school, but there are a couple of things he just can't seem to master.  He has inattentive-type ADHD and slow processing speed which makes it difficult to react properly if something really unexpected happens.  He also lacks confidence and thus hates driving.  But he recognizes the need for the license, and he is interested in the independence that will come with it.

We're signing him up for an evaluation at a local rehabilitation hospital, regardless of how he does on the test today - because even if he does get his license, he still needs more work/help.  

Anyone have experience with this?  Did it help?   

I don't understand what a rehab hospital would do.

My DS will take his driving test for the first time very soon and turns 17 next week. Son has slow processing speed and dysgraphia, so he worked with a ped PT for about 6 weeks in 9th grade to address his motor issues. Ped PT helped quite a bit, but he went there to address his general functioning not just driving.

I sympathize with you. The thought of my son driving scares me, and he has been practicing a long time. We live in the country and very near a two lane highway filled with semis, farming equipment, and crazy people driving duallies from another state. I hope my heart can take it.

• Like 1

I had not heard of this but hey, if it might help I would definitely pursue this.  

FWIW, it took me 4 times before I passed my driving test.  And I don't have any diagnosis.  I know what I needed was a LOT more practice.  Like a LOT of practice.  Way, way, way more than my peers needed.  I probably would have been better practicing daily for a couple of years before trying for my license. 

DD is very nervous about learning to drive.  So nervous she has asked to wait until she is at least 17 to even start seriously practicing.  I promised her that we would give her a LOT of practice, daily, for as long as she needs, even if that means years.  Only when she feels safe will we have her take her test.  She has issues with low working memory, some inattentive issues, procedural issues, etc.  My biggest concern is not getting her license but actually being safe driving.  A car can be a powerful and deadly thing.

In other words, if there is a place that can give your son specialized practice and instruction, in your situation I would absolutely pursue it.  I wish we had something like that down here but I seriously doubt that we do.  I would also continue having him practice a LOT with you or your husband.  Over practice.  Being safe is more important than getting a license.

Good luck and best wishes.

• Like 1

I don't understand what a rehab hospital would do.

<snip>

The neuropsychologist we saw for evaluation suggested that it might be useful.  There are a few rehab centers/hospitals here that have adaptive driving lessons for people with disabilities, older drivers, etc.  Within that group, a few also address ADHD and other learning disabilities.    An occupational therapist does a 2-hour evaluation - one hour is in the office, doing various tests, checking vision issues, etc., and the second hour is behind the wheel on their property.  Then they make their recommendations and will give targeted lessons.  

Tons of practice is needed, for sure, as well!

• Like 5

The neuropsychologist we saw for evaluation suggested that it might be useful.  There are a few rehab centers/hospitals here that have adaptive driving lessons for people with disabilities, older drivers, etc.  Within that group, a few also address ADHD and other learning disabilities.    An occupational therapist does a 2-hour evaluation - one hour is in the office, doing various tests, checking vision issues, etc., and the second hour is behind the wheel on their property.  Then they make their recommendations and will give targeted lessons.  

Tons of practice is needed, for sure, as well!

Well in that case, go for it!  If that option were available to my family, we would certainly pursue it.  

Son's ped PT emphasized cross body work to strengthen the connections across the corpus callosum. Maybe they will combine specific exercises and practice.  

• Like 3

Some friends had adaptive driving for their child. It was with an OT. She's still struggling, but there are multiple issues, and the therapeutic driving was definitely helpful.

You might also look into this. It's been a while since I heard the podcast, but I think it's supposed to be for exactly what you are describing, OP.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thecoffeeklatch/2014/04/10/drive-fit--drivers-education-for-teens-and-adults-on-the-autism-spectrum 

I think it might have an updated name: http://drivefocus.com/ 

• Like 1

There are many places in our state that offer adaptive driving lessons.  I think that would be a great place to go, and a rehab hospital can tell you where they are.

Also, some rehab hospitals have simulated driving machines/programs that you can use in order to work on focusing in the midst of distractions, unexpected events while driving, etc.

• Like 1

Is his difficulty with driving, the motor skills side, or with maintaining multiple points of attention?  Or perhaps with both?

One question, is whether he learning to drive an automatic, rather than manual?

As an automatic is easier.

Though with 'maintaining multiple points of attention, and being able to quickly react to them'?

Something that could be helpful, is playing 'driving computer games'.

Which have a steering wheel connected to the computer.

Though other ones, have the pedals and gear stick.

He could also start with 'low action' games, and gradually increase them.

Here's a link to photos of 8 different steering wheels for computer games:

http://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/g949/gaming-pc-racing-wheel/?slide=4

• Like 1

Is his difficulty with driving, the motor skills side, or with maintaining multiple points of attention?  Or perhaps with both?

One question, is whether he learning to drive an automatic, rather than manual?

As an automatic is easier.

Though with 'maintaining multiple points of attention, and being able to quickly react to them'?

Something that could be helpful, is playing 'driving computer games'.

Which have a steering wheel connected to the computer.

Though other ones, have the pedals and gear stick.

He could also start with 'low action' games, and gradually increase them.

Here's a link to photos of 8 different steering wheels for computer games:

http://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/g949/gaming-pc-racing-wheel/?slide=4

Multiple points of attention is one thing, sure.

We only have automatics; however, my husband read a couple of things that said for a person with inattentive-type ADHD, a manual transmission may be better, as it's less "boring" to drive.    Since we both had manuals in the past, and liked them, we are going to start looking for one if we can find one cheap enough (without being a wreck).

I'm surprised there hasn't been more experience with this, on this vast board!   I'm not sure why I'm surprised, I guess it's just because the place we are going has a waiting list for evaluations, so I thought it was a sort of "popular" thing.  LOL.  

I'm not really looking for alternatives to the adaptive driving lessons, as we are going forward with it.    It seems like the most efficient way to get to the bottom of issues and resolve them.   

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

How would you search for something like this online?  My ds (23) is still not driving.  He took the written twice (couldn't pass the one given on the computer screen but passed the written one on paper easily).  We've done a set of driving lessons but just not enough instruction.  I've tried driving practice with him but it is hard because my van doesn't come with equipment on the passenger side to be able to brake or steer away from harm, etc.  KWIM?  My ds has the adhd but also is hearing impaired which makes it all the more challenging.  I've done some searching on trying to find a driving instructor familiar with hearing challenged students but could only find options in England - that would be a bit far, ha ha, but this adaptive option is very intriguing. 

How would you search for something like this online?

Well, I just googled "adaptive driving lessons," and there were several results.  Include the name of your city - or the nearest large city if you are in a small town - and maybe something will come up.  I did the same search including the names of some random large cities and something always came up.  It seems to call under occupational therapy so that might be another way to find something.

I have only heard of adapted driving lessons for people with low vision, but it makes sense that people with other disabilities might need something like that.

My own DD21 who is just now in the process of being evaluated for autism, had her permit for 2 1/2 years before she was ready to take her drivers test. Her learning to drive was very painful for us both. I have a feeling that if we did not live in a very small town/rural area, she would probably still not have her liscense. Even now, she is still very limited as to where she is comfortable driving.

• Like 1