Menu

What do you do with your half used workbooks

happycc

I put them on the free table at our co op or with my bin of free stuff at our yearly used curriculum sale.

I know that I have benefited from half used workbooks in the past and other people seem to appreciate it as well. If I have any leftover or they are too used, I recycle them.

• Like 1

I second putting them on the free table or something similar. I know that I would appreciate it because I like to have a chance to see any textbooks/curriculum in person. I really enjoy being able to actually have a book in hand to know whether I'd order it or not. Of course, if it's nothing fancy, just run of the mill workbook, I agree with the idea of letting little ones scribble on it or just recycling/composting it. No guilt either way.

• Like 1

I used to give them to my youngest when she asked to do "school". At 3-5 years old, she loved to scribble on worksheets.

Ruth

This is what we do.

(My first, admittedly bitter thought, when I saw the subject header, though, was "Sell them on Amazon as 'used-- like new,' having been the unwitting purchaser of several semi-used workbooks mistakenly marked as such.)

Depends on how much is left but usually I pull out the pages, put them in a file labeled by skills/subject and use them as review pages or "on the go" pages and pull out as needed.  Sometimes it helps to have a refresher and sometimes the kids need a boost by doing something they already know how to do.  

And sometimes I just give the workbooks away . One of the ladies here cannot afford to buy the workbooks on her own but has the TM for the same system I was using.  She copied the pages that were already used onto white board/notebook paper for the kids to work on then used the pages that hadn't been used when they got to that point.

• Like 1

This is what we do.

(My first, admittedly bitter thought, when I saw the subject header, though, was "Sell them on Amazon as 'used-- like new,' having been the unwitting purchaser of several semi-used workbooks mistakenly marked as such.)

Ahh, but was it a mistake?

I no longer buy used workbooks on Amazon.

• Like 1

Ok,....love the ideas! 

1) Wood kindling

2) Recycle bin

3) Free table or give away

4) Use as wrapping paper

5) Make on the go packets. 

6) Resell on Amazon

7) Give to younger kids to scribble and do pretend school

8) My daughter suggested use it for collage/art project with decoupage

9) Maybe make a board game out of it

10) ??????

Someone at our co-op last year put a half-used Math-U-See workbook on a "giveaway" table with mostly the review pages left empty.  I grabbed it, just to check it out.  It has turned out to be the perfect independent work/math warm-up for my easily distracted second grader (I have him work on it for 10 minutes before his regular math -- usually about 1 side of 1 page).   It would be a poor fit for a full curriculum for him, but as a warm up, the simple pages with lots of white space are perfect for him to begin learning how to work on math alone.  I hope to snag another partially workbook of the next level somewhere...I don't think I like it enough to pay $40 for a new one just to use as a warm-up, but free was the perfect price.

So, I guess half-filled math books in particular might be of use to someone else.  But if I didn't have an easy opportunity to give away something half used, I would just recycle it.  I have saved some other half-filled math workbooks from my older two kids in case they might work as review/warm-ups for my younger two.  They don't take up a lot of space so I don't mind saving them.