Menu

4H question

What does it cost to participate in 4H in your area?

Last year for us it was $3.00 for membership and then a couple dollars per club you wanted to be in. I just got a note today saying that this year it is going to be $25 and that you can be in unlimited clubs. :eek: What about the kids that only want to be in one club? Ouch! That is a big increase!

I was just wondering what everyone else gets charged.

thanks!

It has varied for us. One year it was free; this year it's $20/child.

Unlimited clubs, eh? It looked like we had that option when I filled out the forms this time, but no one has said anything to me about it. I really like that idea, because our home club has a horse project that does not fit our family needs. Another local club might... will have to look into that!

I am in Northern California and this year it is $30 per child and $20 per adult. There is another club in our county with $50 per child and $30 per adult. That pays for all of the county scholarship stuff as well as club type stuff. We only have one fundraiser for the general club per year and getting people to work that event is like pulling teeth. Most people are just busy and would prefer to pay instead of spend time. That is sad but it is the way it is where I live.

There is no fee to join our club, but we do require each family to participate in at least one club fundraiser. We do a 4-H Cookie Sale (like Girl Scouts) in the fall, and a yard sale in the spring.

Our club has about $800 in the bank, and we'll use a good chunk of that for this year's projects.

I think ours is $8 per child, plus $10 per family for insurance - so for us $42 total. That seems pretty reasonable to me. We also do one big fundraiser a year.

Well, that would seem reasonable unless you were a low income family with seven children. We don't have dues because we don't want to discriminate against families based on finances.

Did you know that 4-H insurance (national policy) is only $1 per kid per year(or $3 if they're doing animal projects), and the same for screened leaders? Funny that your club charges $10/family...

Overall ours is free and our curriculum is free. Our homeschool club is the only one around that has dues. It's like $10 per family per year. And it would absolutely be waived if that were an issue for a family. The dues just provide a little operating budget so leaders are not taking from their personal budgets for club needs.

Ours is $20 per child up to 3 children and then $15 per child thereafter. Our county charges each child, for insurance, registration, etc. $12 a child. We provide the record book cover and some other minor things. We get a little extra for the rental of the building we use, the little things like copies, mailing, etc.

In addition each project lets you know what the fee will be, if any, will be charged when you sign up. For example an art project was $10 a year. I teach a recycling project where we recycle things and make art/useful things that is free.

HTH,

Mommieeeee