Menu

4-H: what clubs are your kiddos doing this year?

IfIOnly

My kids are excited about a new club they're joining. It's a combined cooking and photography club. The cooking schedule looks fantastic, and the leader is very accomodating and understanding of our many food allergies . Also, the leader has mean photography skills, and her students do well at fair in both areas. Cloverbuds are included, so all four of my boys are excited to be together this year!

Ds10 wanted to be in a club with just a good friend and no brothers this year. :) They'll be doing Robotics. This will be the first year for DS's friend. My two middle schoolers didn't want to continue with it because it is geared for younger, elementary aged kids, and they wanted more of a challenge.

Up in the air and need to decide about soon are biking, outdoor adventure, and dog clubs. It's mostly the record keeping that gives them pause about joining too many clubs. I'm really hoping someone will want to continue with training our dog though, but so far it's not looking good. Ha!

No shooting sports this year. Kids don't like the long or Saturday (when dad's home) meetings. They have other opportunity for practice that include DH, especially archery.

What are your 4-Hers up to?

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

We have a general club where we do a wide range of different projects, some different ones each year. The only clubs that are project-specific in NH are animal projects.

Right now we're doing robotics. Next will be cooking.

Edited by Amy in NH

We lead a STEM club. Our regular club had a chemistry project last month, and will do an electronics one in November. We are hosting a National Youth Science Day Drone Discovery event on the 14th so will not have a regular club meeting, and we don't meet in December. That month is just too crazy. For January, we will be doing some Physics exploration which will involve using KNEX and creating balloon and propeller/rubberband powered cars. We will have prizes for distance and for speed.

An extension of our club is our competitive rocketry team. For six years, the team competed at Team America Rocketry Challenge. This past year they finished second in the nation and qualified to attempt the Student Launch program with NASA which is a much harder challenge in which the team submits a proposal to design and build a rocket targeting a mile in altitude and carrying a scientific experiment in the payload. The students complete the challenge by being put through the NASA life cycle design process which is the process every engineering team for NASA and it's supporting companies like SPACE X must complete in order to test launch their prototypes. It is a post-college level writing/engineering process that is pushed down into undergraduate university and high school. It is REALLY hard. The kids spent 40 hours between Aug. 18th and Sept.29th writing and editing their 37 page proposal. Now they are waiting to find out if they have been accepted to the program. They will hear on Oct. 14th by mid-afternoon. If accepted, that is what they will be doing for the next 7 months culminating, if successful, with a trip to Huntsville in April to launch their rocket and experiment with NASA. It will take about 45 hours per month of our volunteer time on top of our regular club activities, but well worth the investment in the kids. It is an amazing opportunity for them! Most of the students will spend 7 hours per week on the project outside of school, and that includes our son who is the oldest returning member of the original team (everyone else graduated so we are attempting this with only one seasoned TARC team member and five newbies!) and team leader.

Their proposal was really good! I did a little spying online and found that some of the university teams that participated last year left their proposal documents up on their websites. I downloaded three proposals that were accepted last year from colleges that successfully completed the program, University of South Alabama, Citrus College, and University of Louisville. The kids actually put more effort into theirs than these university teams did. So I think we have a high chance of being accepted. It's our first time mentoring a NASA SL team though, so not certain by any stretch.

That's the scoop here for 4H for now.

• Like 3

Dh and I run a 4-H STEM club.   We have kids from 7 to 13 years old but are mostly in the 8-10 year old range.  Last year we did rockets (alka seltzer and an ignition launch), Rube Goldberg machines, electronics, polymers, owl pellets, reversed engineered a bunch of electronics and computers, and a variety of STEM challenges.

So far this year we've done a balloon tower building challenge and a catapult challenge.  We have plans for Squishy Circuits, programmable robots, geology.  I am encouraging the kids to do record books this year so I'm providing lab sheets and extension activities.  We meet twice a month.

My kids are also going to be joining the Dog Club so we can work with our Brittney.  He's really smart but needs more interaction.  That club meets weekly.

• Like 2

We have a general club and have project groups as part of our club.  This past year my daughter did 7 projects: photography, quilting, baking (cookies), creative sewing, decorate your duds, home environment, and scrapbooking.  This year she is planning on photography, quilting, recycled clothing, home environment, scrapbooking, global citizenship, non fiber heritage arts (Pysanky), visual arts, and either buymanship or foreign cookery (she hasn't decided definitely on the final two.  I am the project leader for photography, scrapbooking, and home environment and she helps teach these projects as well.  She works all year on her 4-H projects because they take so much time (especially being in so many projects.  This year she won two state grand champions and worked very hard on all of her projects.

• Like 1

I would love for the oldest 2 to join, but no luck getting any more info on the local clubs. No websites I can find and their facebook is old (last June I think). I called our local county office and left a message, but no call back yet. Any tips for finding more info?

There are 2 groups near me. I think one is homeschoolers from what I can see (it just shows the time and date of monthly meeting on the 4H website : Tuesday 10am).

I would love for the oldest 2 to join, but no luck getting any more info on the local clubs. No websites I can find and their facebook is old (last June I think). I called our local county office and left a message, but no call back yet. Any tips for finding more info?

There are 2 groups near me. I think one is homeschoolers from what I can see (it just shows the time and date of monthly meeting on the 4H website : Tuesday 10am).

If possible, go to the extension office yourself. They should be able to give you a printed list of clubs, and give you an idea which ones best match your children's interests.

• Like 1