Menu

Kindle Fire or something else?

mlktwins

Good morning! I have a friend with a new 6th grader in public school. She is pretty strict with screen time and her son does not have a smartphone (or a phone of any kind). She has run into a problem in his social studies class where the kids are asked to pull out their phones during class time and do some research. Would an inexpensive Kindle Fire work in this situation or maybe something else (inexpensive) would be a better choice? Kid is not getting a phone anytime soon and, while he has his grandmother's iPad to use at home, he will not be allowed to take that to school. Teacher is planning to send the kid to the library by himself to use the computers while all the other kids use their phones in class. Kid would be mortified with that option. If I decided to send my boys to school this year, we would be dealing with the same thing.

Thanks much!

I think that's an issue that needs to be addressed with the school. It's an assumption that everyone will be able to afford the cell phones with data. Even if the child did go to school with a kindle fire, do they allow children into their wifi network? My 16 year old has a phone but no data plan. He and all my children would not be able to participate in that activity either. I don't think a class supply list should include a cell phone with data plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bethben
  • Like 3

Bethben is right. A Kindle Fire or any tablet or laptop would require wifi. Call and ask the school if this is available. If it isn't then I don't see any other options besides a cell phone with a data plan or using their computers. It's worth a complaint, but they might say that they are providing a way for the kids who are unable to have their own phone.

• Like 2

First of all, the schools have wi-fi so a phone with data is not necessary.

I am surprised the school isn't supplying something. My sons' schools gave them Chrome Books and expect them to bring them daily.

A kindle fire should suffice, although IMO a Asus or Galaxy Tab would be better, and one can be had for around $100.

A second hand iPhone or iPod would also work (phone doesn't need to have a service attached to it.

• Like 1

Kindle fire would work or buy a refurbished smartphone off ebay (we got a very nice one for $25, LG Power. It could be activated on Tracfone if one wished to. DH got it for personal use and has an iPhone6 for work but likes his LG better.). You don't need to activate the phone for it to be used just on wifi. On a phone she could install Qustodio (free app) that would allow her to block usage or limit time on it (like maybe only to that class period).

ETA: with a case and car charger, it was less than $40.

Edited by Um_2_4

If they are only being asked to do research, the Fire should be fine. I use mine at school all the time. 

If they will be using it for other tasks in the classroom, there's no guarantee the Fire (or any other device) will work. I do run into some problems, such as at ExploreLearning.com