Menu

The Teachers Lounge 9 - 9 - 2016

scrapbookbuzz

And the Lounge is OPEN!

Come on in! Put up your weary feet, rest your weary head.

Or tell us what we should be celebrating with you!

Remember when I didn't know what was for dinner last night? GOD provided! Hubby brought home

many leftovers - yummy wraps from an office meeting. There were so many, I even had one for breakfast this morning!

What's for lunch today? Here: no idea!

What's on the lesson plans today? Here: Bible, math, Latin, Language Arts, and Science. For my DD18 I'm going to

forego the formal lesson and help her recognize some patterns in Algebra. She was having a hard time yesterday 

figuring out which formula to use to solve her story problems so I figured maybe we should go over that!

(And if you're thinking I'm some sort of math whiz, think again! I pretty much received Cs and Ds in high school

Algebra. However, God has been kind and helped me to understand it a bit better 34 years later!  :w00t:

Anyone else live in the desert besides me? Sick of the heat yet? I am SO tired of the heat!

I have a fresh pot of Kona coffee brewed. Anyone want a cuppa?

Talk to me! :bigear:

• Like 1

Made it through our first "real" week of homeschooling! Brought DS7 home from public school and didn't have the funds for DS4 to go to preschool again this year. DS2 is tagging along and making a loud mess... We are taking it one year at a time.

Lunch today was the current 'usual' - crackers & peanut butter (4yr old gets hummus instead - he hates peanuts), fruit, and milk. Any day when the kids at their lunches and then go off to nap/quiet time without a fuss is a winning day in my book.  :laugh: Friday night is pizza night here - paper plates and all; no cooking, no dishes. Thank goodness!

Lesson plans for today were: (DS7) fun reading, handwriting, spelling quiz, and math; (DS4) daily pre-K notebook (days of the week, months, weather, letters, numbers, shapes) and phonics. We are taking it easy Sept-Dec as I am expecting a baby in Oct. We will add the other subjects for DS7 in Jan (grammar, science, history, literature, and writing).

We live just north of Boston and it is 92degreesF and HUMID. It is gross. Here's to predicted fall weather for next week!

• Like 1

Whew!  It's Friday! :hurray: :hurray:

Lunch today was cheese ravioli with red sauce and romano cheese, peas, apple slices, and half a Lara bar for each kid.

I love our Friday lesson plans.  We're just getting into Egypt, so today was a battle between the red and white king...coincidentally, we also got to meet the red and white queens during literature time (Through The Looking Glass).  Other than that, a spelling test, FunThinkers, Hands On Equations, Spanish, science experiments, and a new reading book (which was a hit - who wouldn't like Sideways Stories?).  It's a nice light day to end the week. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well, the best laid plans and all that. . .

I've stopped the lessons for the day, mainly because there are other things I'd rather get done. And I know

we'll get to the lessons on Tuesday.

DD18 accomplished Bible Study (on her own) and Algebra (short lesson w/me).

DS12 accomplished Bible study/devotions with me. That's it. Evidently there was an issue DS hadn't dealt

with and the devotional about self-control, featuring Moses and Aaron, brought up repressed feelings. Wow!

BUT I'm glad it came out instead of him continuing to suppress anger, etc. I gave him space and later talked with him about it.

I also gave him an hour without me at home! B-) His sister was here and I think that helped.

In a little while I'm taking DD to shop for hiking boots which may be needed on an upcoming trip.

Anyone thrown off course today? 

I'm not worried about it. Evidently, these were the things that needed to be accomplished today. ;-)

Friday!!!!

Lunch? In n out with dh and all the kids. A rare treat

Lessons? Some Math. Mostly history. Went to the 9/11 memorial. 9/11 is something we try to commemorate, we don't want our kids to forget.

Maybe some religion, vocabulary and history later.

Yes, COFFEE!!!!!

Have a blessed Friday!

• Like 1

Weary here. Celebrating friendship...a dear friend stopped by and it was nice to chat school and teens and gardens.

Lunch for me was chips and homemade salsa. Boys made noise and a mess in the kitchen, so they must've eaten something.

No lessons today except for ds15, who started lessons with his new piano teacher. He lives in biking distance, so double hooray for ds getting himself to his lesson without me. I arrived at the end of the lesson to overhear a discussion about interpreting beautiful music to share your spirit, and music as a healing force in this world. So I am celebrating mentors and musicians today also.

PNW is gorgeously perfect today--sunny and warm. Beautiful fall day.

I brewed myself an entire pot of coffee. I'll share if any of you folks run out.

• Like 1

I went to Chik-FIL-A for the first time today.  I was so terribly impressed with how they handled my gluten free order.  I was already impressed that I could make a gluten free order there but then it came packaged and prepared for no cross-contamination and that put me over the top with happiness.

Today was the last day of the ASD orientation at college.  One young man came over to talk to me about his fears for fitting into the general population classes. 

Ds and I went out to eat tonight to celebrate his finishing the orientation.  Dd and dh are at a party that ds and I didn't want to go to. 

Thanks, all, for visiting the Lounge today. 

I ate very poorly today (as in, all the wrong foods) and I'm feeling it now. Bleh.

Thought about driving up north a bit tomorrow as I am so TIRED of being hot

BUT I don't want to go alone and couldn't find a friend to go with me. I'd hibernate in the house

but evidently dh has hit his once-every-six-months cleaning frenzy and has threatened, er, 

suggested we'll all be cleaning house tomorrow. Ugh. He's not pleasant when he does that and the 

kids often wind up crying. 

Ah, well, here's a reminder to ME to do better with my housekeeping duties!

May go do a little more reading now, followed by an episode or two of White Collar on Netflix.

Probably one of the CLEANEST shows I've seen on TV in awhile!

The Lounge is now CLOSED! Good night!