Menu

WWYD: FB situation

38carrots

So here's the situation. Organization X is supporting a family member and is a wonderful organization run mostly by volunteers. Organization X has been posting illiterate / unprofessional posts on FB. I approached organization X about this and offered volunteer help, but was told that they have been working with professionals on their social media image and they don't need my help. Organization X kept on posting unprofessionally looking posts on FB.

I've been venting about this privately to a friend. My point was that their mistakes (grammar, punctuation, font, colors, content) are so easy not to make. Recently another post came up, which I forwarded to that friend with a comment, something like, "posted by "professionals", wasn't it?" Well, my friend posted a snarky comment on that post. I asked her not to do this, but she did anyway. She feels it her right to post whatever she wants. Which it is. But I'm nervous that this will look bad on me, because it is clear that I'm the only "common friend" of hers and the organization. Should I talk her into removing her snarky comment? She already told me she wouldn't. Should I mention something to the organization? Should I claim total ignorance of the situation to the organization and never mention this? I was the first person to "like" that post, and then, within minutes, there was my friend's snarky comment. I haven't even looked at this again, I'm worried it is a mess now. :-(

I wouldn't worry about it...FB shows your friends what you "like", so even if you're the only link, it would make sense that one of your friends would see it because you liked it. What she posts is on her.

That said, I probably wouldn't highlight this issue to your friend again if she's going to make more of it than you would like.

• Like 8

Let it go and move on.  It is unlikely anyone from that organization is going to care about a snarky comment and research the connections of the person who made it.

You should also accept that they don't want your help and let that go as well.

They don't get many comments / likes. Her comment is like sore thumb :-(. It *will* be noticed. I tried my best in the beginning to help out, but now I'm good with whatever they do. I just thought that post was "funny" as my friend and I had discussed those issues in the past, and that was the reason I shared it with her.

Since I was the one mentioning the issues to the organization I feel it will look like I have something to do with this, but I'm probably just over-thinking.

I try to keep my snark to the messages, rather than the peoples' main pages.  Sigh.  So often I type things and then hit the backspace over and over, telling myself, nope, the world does not need to hear my wit today!!  Nope, nope, nope! 

I have a friend who is a wonderful, inspiring person, the type whose entire family mans a food shelter and changes lives every day.  She rocks life.  The lady cannot spell at ALL.  I happen to know, though, that she is dyslexic, so I absolutely ignore any and all spelling issues.  Perhaps something like that is going on in your facebook feed.

Anyway, I'd let it go. 

• Like 2

Did you share it via the share button, or send her a screenshot?

If you posted it on her wall, you may be able to remove it or at least change the privacy settings.

I shared as "share as a private message" to my friend specifically. I didn't share it on her wall! I'd never post anything like this publicly on a friend's wall! lol

But then my friend went to the organization's page and commented on that post.

• Like 1

I try to keep my snark to the messages, rather than the peoples' main pages.  Sigh.  So often I type things and then hit the backspace over and over, telling myself, nope, the world does not need to hear my wit today!!  Nope, nope, nope! 

I have a friend who is a wonderful, inspiring person, the type whose entire family mans a food shelter and changes lives every day.  She rocks life.  The lady cannot spell at ALL.  I happen to know, though, that she is dyslexic, so I absolutely ignore any and all spelling issues.  Perhaps something like that is going on in your facebook feed.

Anyway, I'd let it go. 

My snark *was* in a private message...:-( She took it upon herself to go and snark publicly on the main page of the organization.

I assumed the organization's FB was so poorly done because of someone who meant well but wasn't well educated (hence offered to help out, and I wasn't remotely snarky about it.) But after they told me it wasn't another volunteer who was responsible for their FB, but a well respected marketting company, offering them the services at an "amazing discounted rate", but not entirely for free, I became quite snarky about it (in private, and only to a couple of people). I didn't think this would get out, and in a way it didn't, but I really wish I didn't say anything at all.

• Like 3

I'm not sure why you care this much.  Not trying to be difficult, but this isn't your or your dh's employer or anything.   Right?  If they insist on continuing to post "professional" stuff using grammatical or content errors and such, then they deserve any snark they get.  Sounds like they're asking for it and the only way they're going to get a clue is if people point it out publically (since your kind suggestions fell on deaf ears). 

IMHO,  I'd look at it as vindication. 

• Like 2