Menu

if you made a hotel reservation...

bettyandbob

and you get a confirmation by email, but later can't find the email. And you don't remember the name of the hotel/motel. What do you do. I've been calling places in the town where it's supposed to be. I know I gave my credit card, but that doesn't show up until the date of the transaction and not until after I can't cancel. 

arg. 

I've had too much junk going on lately and I just didn't keep track of this. Anyone do this and have some trick to finding where you are staying. 

I retraced the steps I remembered using to choose the hotel in the first place, and made at least one embarrassing phone call to the wrong place before I found the right one! (In my case it was a booking for Christmas dinner in a town I'd never been to where we'd be for two nights over Christmas, so it was Googling "Christmas dinner buffet in xxxxx" and recognising the message board where I found recommendations then working through those websites until something looked familiar.)

I can usually find the email by searching for the key words, or by sorting by date if I know when, approx, I made the reservation. If you use more than one email account, be sure you are searching the right one. I have made that mistake before, too.

Worst case scenario, if it is a reservation for more than one night, you should get the notice when the first night is charged and be able to cancel the remaining nights. We had to do that once, when DH made a reservation at our "back up" hotel while waiting for a room in the preferred hotel....then forgot to cancel the back up. We ended up out the money for the first night, but not the rest.

Otherwise, maybe search Trip Advisor or similar website to see hotels by price, maybe that will help you remember the right one?

• Like 1

I use Gmail so this may or may not work for you. On both of my laptops, I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed and I have my email on both laptops. Also, I can access Gmail on the web.  Frequently, I search in Mozilla Thunderbird and have no luck finding what I'm looking for. Then, if I go to Gmail on the web, and I use Google to search my email, frequently, almost always, I can find what I'm looking for.  Think of all possible "Search Terms" that might be applicable and use them, one at a time and search.  Look on Expedia or some other OTA (Online Travel Agency) web site and search for the city and dates you are interested. Hopefully, you will see your hotel listed in their SERPs and it will "ring a bell". GL

Thanks everyone!

Basically, I called every hotel and got it. I figured out why I didn't have the confirmation email. I never received it. I didn't check a couple of months ago. This morning when I finally called the right hotel they said they would send it again and I still didn't get it. I called again after checking junk, spam, etc. Clerk must have encountered this problem before because he sent the reservation to another account in the hotel system and then forwarded it to me and I got it this. time. 

Retracing my steps was complicated because I am going to the home opener football game of the university where my dd is a freshman. This is my third hotel stay in the area in two and a half months. First was orientation, second student drop off and now this. So I've done multiple hotel searches and made multiple calls for all these arrangements. 

My sister is going with me. As soon as my dd was accepted, my sister asked if she could go to a football game. I took a new job and will work every weekend starting in two weeks, so this is it. It's a good time to go. dd has started a list of a small forgotten items she would like me to bring. Plus, I never get to spend time with my sister so we will have plenty of car time.alone. 

We have one glitch in that when I bought the game tickets I didn't buy a ticket to park. That never occurred to me. Right now there's one ticket left for parking for $100 and another for $150. My brother says people allow parking on their lawns for game time for $20-$50. I believe him because I saw people selling lawn parking during move-in/drop-off. I hope that goes OK. 

Edited by Diana P.

Thanks everyone!

Basically, I called every hotel and got it. I figured out why I didn't have the confirmation email. I never received it. I didn't check a couple of months ago. This morning when I finally called the right hotel they said they would send it again and I still didn't get it. I called again after checking junk, spam, etc. Clerk must have encountered this problem before because he sent the reservation to another account in the hotel system and then forwarded it to me and I got it this. time. 

Retracing my steps was complicated because I am going to the home opener football game of the university where my dd is a freshman. This is my third hotel stay in the area in two and a half months. First was orientation, second student drop off and now this. So I've done multiple hotel searches and made multiple calls for all these arrangements. 

My sister is going with me. As soon as my dd was accepted, my sister asked if she could go to a football game. I took a new job and will work every weekend starting in two weeks, so this is it. It's a good time to go. dd has started a list of a small forgotten items she would like me to bring. Plus, I never get to spend time with my sister so we will have plenty of car time.alone. 

We have one glitch in that when I bought the game tickets I didn't buy a ticket to park. That never occurred to me. Right now there's one ticket left for parking for $100 and another for $150. My brother says people allow parking on their lawns for game time for $20-$50. I believe him because I saw people selling lawn parking during move-in/drop-off. I hope that goes OK. 

Ask your hotel if they are running a shuttle to and from the game.  Some do.  

ETA:  Or take a taxi.  It will be less than $100, at least probably.  Or UBER.