Menu

Lanny-how much teacher support for TTUISD math?

DD has a teen friend who needs to move math online or outside somewhere, and due to her work and sports schedule, would be better off with an asynchronous class. NCAA is also a possible concern (although probably not DIV I). This is also a kid who needs hand holding and outside accountability a bit-she's very independent and capable, but if academics get tough, will tend to avoid the subject rather than admit she's struggling (which is why an online or outside math class is needed).

I was involved with grading problem sets for TTUISD in grad school, but it's been decades. I figured you'd be better able to weigh in on whether this would work in this situation.

• Like 1

My ds just finished a math class with TTUISD.  It does NOT sound like it would work for the girl.  There is literally no handholding, no accountability.  It is set up to give you the list of assignments.  Child completes a chapter (6-8 sections) and turns in all the work together.  Teacher gives grade on the work.  Child does next chapter.  And so on.  The textbooks are public school texts but we found it better to supplement with things like Jacob's for geometry and Khan academy for an extra aid to get him over the tough parts.  The public school texts weren't written nearly as well as the homeschool ones.

If she doesn't have in-person support, this would not be a good option for her.

• Like 2

My ds just finished a math class with TTUISD.  It does NOT sound like it would work for the girl.  There is literally no handholding, no accountability.  It is set up to give you the list of assignments.  Child completes a chapter (6-8 sections) and turns in all the work together.  Teacher gives grade on the work.  Child does next chapter.  And so on.  The textbooks are public school texts but we found it better to supplement with things like Jacob's for geometry and Khan academy for an extra aid to get him over the tough parts.  The public school texts weren't written nearly as well as the homeschool ones.

If she doesn't have in-person support, this would not be a good option for her.

Maybe the parents could provide the accountability by monitoring the HW completeness and the grades? 

[Jacob's was written for public schools back in the day but marketing and math fads always win.]

• Like 2

First, regarding NCAA.  I don't know if TTUISD has worked that out with NCAA.  I do not, personally, understand why some Distance Learning schools are approved and others, like TTUISD, have a long process to endure with NCAA.

My gut feeling, after reading the OP, was that the student in question would not do well with a Distance Learning program. Especially one that is Asynchronous.  It takes a huge amount of self discipline and Time Management skills.   

I asked my DD to come in here to read the OP and at that time there was one reply, from HomeAgain. My DD said that she basically agrees with the first part of what HomeAgain wrote, up to "child completes a chapter". 

DD said that if she does not understand an explanation from the textbook, she usually goes to Khan Academy or to Algebra.com and that usually, if she sends a message to an instructor, they answer the next day. If she messages them, it is usually to be sure that she understands the assignment correctly and doesn't go off the deep end.

DD got a 98 for the semester for Algebra 1B and has just begun Geometry 1A.   

My belief is that the instructors are well qualified.  One thing that I love, with regard to Math especially, is that when she takes Final Exams for Math (which are 25% of the semester grade and *must* be passed) is that everything is written out and submitted to the instructor for grading. . I believe  10 or 20 sheets of paper were scanned in and  the file was attached when the examination was submitted for ALG 1B. 

A TI-84 Graphing Calculator is required, starting with Algebra 1A.  I believe that is to get the students familiar with the operation of their calculator, so by the time they take the SAT, they will know how to use the calculator.

TTUISD courses are Asynchronous and there is a requirement that the students are self motivated and manage their time correctly. It does not sound to me or my DD, from what you wrote, that the girl would find this to be good Math program for her.

I suggest that the girl or her parents call the toll free phone number of TTUISD and ask any questions they have.  GL to her!

• Like 1

Agreeing with what Lanny and HomeAgain said about TTUISD. My oldest used them for high school, including math (he did Geometry) and it was much like Lanny describes. He could, if he wanted, email the teacher between times, and the teacher would give instructions/tutor him some, but it was all via messaging, no "live" interactions. It very much has to be a "self taught" course, at least the way it was a few years ago. Student reads the text, does the problems, scans them in (and yes, usually it was several lessons at a time for each graded segment, so unless the student was communicating with the teacher, there was no feedback until after you'd turned in an entire chapter). 

The teacher did do corrections and scan those in, so the student could look at what was missed, how it should be corrected, etc, but then the wait time to turn in Chapter 1, wait for it to be graded, look over/learn & understand the corrections, then begin chapter 2....sometimes that was long. If you go ahead and start on chapter 2, then you may or may not need to go back and redo stuff. 

We only did the one math class with TTUISD, because it was such a hassle. 

Now, the other option, if they just need a grade from an outside source, would be to use home school  materials and then do the "credit by exam" that TTUISD offers; we did that for Alg 1; DS had already done TT Algebra at the time, so we started him in Geometry, and then had him do their CBE so he would have "official" credit from somewhere (DH was certain, at that time, that we would need that for college admissions later....he's since been corrected ;) ). I know nothing about NCAA, but perhaps that's an idea? Although doesn't at all solve the teacher interaction/support issue....

• Like 1

I reread the OP and the responses in this thread.  I understand that an Asynchronous course would make it easier for the student to do the other things she wants/needs to do.  However, I do not get the feeling, and my DD didn't either, that this student will be successful with an Asynchronous course, from TTUISD, or any other Distance Learning School.  The course is in a CMS (Course Management System) called "Moodle" which is used in universities around the world.  The course and the textbook normally are sufficient for a well motivated student to learn the material. I believe there are sometimes references, to web sites, that are recommended or required the student read.  Basically, I think the much of her time, DD is doing what would be "Homework" for a student in a brick and mortar school. LOTS of "homework".  The student in the OP IMO needs to be in a Synchronous course, where someone tells her, "You need to turn in this assignment on or before August 21st".   TTUISD Instructors, from our experience during the past 4 school years, have a lot of experience and are IMO very well qualified. Most of them work for schools in the Lubbock ISD or nearby or are retired from there. One of the Math Instructors is a "Math Coach" in the Lubbock ISD and I considered it a "plus" when DD had her for her Instructor.  TTUISD has a long process, when they develop a new course. The courses cover the entire textbook, from front to back, which  I doubt would be possible in a brick and mortar school, using the same textbook.  One thing I know from studying I have done, work related or other, is that sometimes one person can "explain" something, either in a classroom situation or in a book, and it goes past me.  If and when that happens, I need to either read the material many times, or I need to look for an explanation by someone else, in another book, that explains what I am trying to grasp.  The girl in the OP would need to fend for herself, and if and when she is "lost", she would need to go to Khan Academy or Algebra.com for another explanation that hopefully would clear the cobwebs for her and enable her to grasp the concept. That would enable her to continue, much more quickly, than if she sent a message to her Instructor, via the Moodle, and then waited (probably one day) for a reply.   She would really need to be, in some ways, "her own teacher" or her own T.A.  IMO she will probably do better with a course where the Instructor provides fixed deadlines for the assignments. 

• Like 1

If it helps, the G3 courses and TTUISD courses are very similar in the self-learning sections (we use both).  The difference is that ALL of the TTUISD course plan is self-led, while G3 will have webinars and support.

It is possible to email for support, but the support is very limited.  Math is not effectively tutored by email, so, expect to provide regular tutoring...

• Like 1

This URL has a quick explanation of Asynchronous and Synchronous Distance Learning Courses.

http://distancelearn.about.com/od/choosingaschool/p/LearningTypes.htm

Quoting two sentences from that web page: "Often, asynchronous distance learning is preferred by students with complicated schedules. It tends to work well for self-motivated learners who do not need direct guidance to complete their assignments."

​Asynchronous has many advantages for the girl the OP referred to, but it may require discipline that she has for sports, but not for studying.  I suspect she will do better, with a course, for example, like the "Online" courses from Tech (Texas Tech University) that begin on one day and are scheduled to end on another day. For example, the course begins on August 1st and ends on December 31st.  The deadlines are fixed and the students know what their deadlines are. In Asynchronous course like those of TTUISD, the students need to set their own deadlines and comply with those deadlines.

Calvert can be asynchronous or synchronous, and enrolling in Calvert Academy for a course (you can buy them individually) would meet NCAA requirements.  There are assignments each day for math that are reviewed and graded by a teacher, and the teacher is available by various means for help and the response times are very good.

• Like 3

TTUISD courses are on a "Moodle" server. Moodle originated in Australia.  This URL has a  Moodle demo and one can select "student" to get an idea of how this works. (See Moodle in action).  There is a bit of a "Learning Curve" to using "Moodle", or whatever platform another school might use. It's not "Rocket Science", but it is something additional required, when one begins taking "Distance Learning" courses.

http://school.demo.moodle.net/

Ok, that helps. I keep ending up in guidance counselor role (probably because I'm used to being a college faculty advisor), but sometimes end up out of my depth. TTUISD and the distance learning classes my DD has done are reallt the only programs I'm familiar with-and my familiarity with TTUISD dates back to the kids mailing in physical assignments for scoring.

Calvert may be worth looking at. Any opinions on Laurel Springs? It looks like they seem to specialize in student-athletes.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

OP: You did not indicate which Math course she needs to begin now. This is the textbook TTUISD uses for Algebra 1 at this time:

https://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Hall-Mathmatics-Texas-Algebra/dp/0131340212/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471793322&sr=1-1&keywords=Prentice+Hall+Mathematics%2C+Texas+Algebra+I

For Math, DD has been using that same series of Math books, since she began taking 6th grade courses in their Middle School.  I believe the continuity is helpful to students.  They do the same for English textbooks.

She may need a combo of an asynchronous class and an in-person tutor that can meet with her once a week and make sure she is staying on pace and grasping the concepts.

+1

This is the ideal situation for her. It allows her to study on her own schedule, but still have someone watching the clock and keeping her on pace, so she finishes the course on time.  Also, if she has a Tutor, it gives her an additional path for help, if she does not understand something and cannot find an explanation she understands, on Khan Academy or some other web site.