Menu

Any recommendations for a good lunch thermos for hot food?

katilac

Something that is wider, like a bowl, would be better than a narrow drink thermos, but performance is most important. 

Needs to keep food hot for five hours. No outlets available. 

Bigger sizes are a plus - dd eats big bowls of soup and jambalaya, not little cups, lol. 

I'm willing to spend more for something that is more effective. She's a great, healthy eater who doesn't like sandwiches and wants 'real food' so I'm trying to accommodate. Plus, if we found a really good one, we would buy more for road trips. 

Warm the thermos up before filling it. Fill it with hot/boiling water for a few minutes before you want to fill it with the hot food.

You know, I did the hot water thing, but I didn't realize you had to leave it in for so long. Hopefully that makes a difference. 

I got several of the "thermos food JAR " wide mouth n larger oz capacity I think on Amazon, sorry too lazy to link it for ya. Don't get the kid design versions of thermos food jar though I've bought several - the seals broke super fast and they leak, in my experience.

The adult version works great. Hubby never ever ever eats out while working or on the road so we use them a lot.

The whole thing is dishwasher safe.

Every once and awhile remove the little plastic sealer thing around the lid and dishwash it separated from lid so it doesn't get disgusting.

I do 5 mins super hot tap water then 5 mins prep with boiled water before adding hot food. pack foods all the way to the lid line (air pocket makes it cool faster).

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Warm the thermos up before filling it. Fill it with hot/boiling water for a few minutes before you want to fill it with the hot food.

Also heat the food to hotter than eating temp, so soups but in at a boil or just below.  It will cool off to the perfect eating temp without cooling too much.

Exactly.

We have 12 oz. Thermos brand wide-mouth ones. I fill my Pyrex measuring cup w/ 1.5 cups of water, heat it for 3 minutes, pour it in the Thermos & seal. I try to let it sit a minimum of 5 minutes, preferably 10. I heat the food going into it to a hotter-than-normal temp. Then, dump the water, quickly dry the inside w/ a dish towel & put the very hot food in. Works perfectly.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1